Love 'em
4 (16.7%)
Hate 'em
3 (12.5%)
Meh
17 (70.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 08:08:13 PM

Author Topic: Elon Musk, love him or hate him  (Read 8749 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Elon Musk, love him or hate him
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2018, 07:41:40 PM »
Hahaha I've never read Machiavelli, but that sounds just like Dune (I assume the similarity was deliberate)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
Hahaha I've never read Machiavelli, but that sounds just like Dune (I assume the similarity was deliberate)

Yep, the Beast Rabban was a perfect illustration of the idea.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2018, 05:10:38 AM »
The interesting thing about Nicolo Machiavelli is that he was not a statesman or a ruler, or even a prince. He was a diplomat. And as it turned out, a pretty bad one.

But the particular part of The Prince that I was referring to was about how to quell the resentful population after taking over a city. When you invade a city, the people will hate you because you're an invader and you deposed their previous prince, whom they - of course - loved. So you install a governor and return to your own city. While you're away, the governor cracks down hard on any rebels and is generally a huge asshole to the people. The people come to hate him at the same time as he gets rid of any rebellious elements.

Then a year later, you return to the city and say "oh my I had no idea that this guy I installed was such a bastard!" and you execute him. And the people love you for it.

I just saw a bit of a parallel with Musk stepping aside for someone else.

I agree.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2018, 10:04:28 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-musk-tunnel-20181021-story.html

Elon Musk says first tunnel for proposed underground transportation network will open in December

In subsequent tweets Musk said there would be an opening event on the night of the 10th and free rides for the public the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »

Elon Musk unveils his company’s first tunnel in Hawthorne, and it’s not a smooth ride - Los Angeles Times

On Tuesday night, in a parking lot next to SpaceX, Musk’s Boring Co. unveiled its first tunnel — a 1.14-mile route that runs 20 to 40 feet beneath the streets of Hawthorne, through a neighborhood sandwiched between the 105 Freeway and Hawthorne Municipal Airport.
Musk had promised modified “but fully autonomous” vehicles at the unveiling, but the reality was more modest: a Tesla Model X that reached a top speed of 53 mph, manually driven by an employee who previously drove in the Indianapolis 500.

The trip through the tunnel took about two minutes, illuminated by the car’s headlights and a strip of blue neon lights tacked to the ceiling. The Model X rolled on two molded concrete shelves along the wall, which were so uneven in places that it felt like riding on a dirt road.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2018, 02:36:37 PM »
So it's a tiny tunnel that some guy drives you through?

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2018, 04:53:20 PM »

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
The Tesla tunnel will do exactly what Elon Musk wanted it to do.

One day he was unhappy that he had to fight LA traffic for 45 minutes to travel a total of 12 miles (6 miles as the crow flies). He wanted to fix that.

When this is done Elon Musk will be able to travel between those two places in about 5 minutes.

Mission accomplished.

Offline Gigabyte

• Off to a Start
  • If you believe ...
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
The Tesla tunnel will do exactly what Elon Musk wanted it to do.
I don't understand some things

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »

Tesla starts charging $7,000 to add Full Self-Driving features post-delivery

Tesla is splitting its self-driving function into two tiers -- Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability -- and charging a few thousand extra dollars for Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark, Summon and other features coming out later this year.

If you buy a new Model S, Model X or Model 3 today, it's $3,000 to add Autopilot and $5,000 for Full Self-Driving Capabilities. The manufacturer says Autopilot "enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane." Meanwhile, FSD includes the ability to have your car find you anywhere in a parking lot (Summon), park on its own (Autopark), and adds the company's most robust self-driving features (Navigate on Autopilot). Later this year, Tesla expects to introduce the ability to recognize and respond to stop signs and traffic lights, and auto-navigate city streets.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2019, 12:08:22 AM »
An attempt at freemium that does not understand the core of how it works.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2019, 02:39:16 PM »

Tesla's Sentry Mode has already caught a suspected car thief

San Francisco-based Jed Franklin received an alert on his phone informing him that Sentry Mode had been activated. On arriving at his vehicle, he found that the window had been broken, but that the perp had fled empty-handed. Franklin then downloaded the video captured by Sentry Mode, which had recorded a clear image of the suspect's face and license plate number. He turned it over to the police, who were able to make an arrest.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
Makes it sound like an autobot tried to break into the car.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #178 on: April 10, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by this.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by this.

TLDR: I'm not surprised you didn't understand. It wasn't understandable.

I was mostly thinking about other posts related to value. In this case was flirting with the difference between freemium software and crippleware. Freemium apps like Slack or LastPass have a robust product with solid features and performance for free. If you need access to more advanced feature sets you can pay for those. A small number of paying customers make those products profitable. Crippleware is software that teases core features, or watermarks the outputs, or limits file sizes, etc.. It isn't really functional unless you pay for it.

Without breaking down the ideas into anything that clear I slotted the advanced safety features into "crippleware" in my vague thoughts, with some sense that freemium would make more sense as a business model. It wasn't a coherent thought. First, physical products don't map well to software because physical products (almost) never reach zero marginal cost. Second, the base level feature set for Teslas is a robust product with a solid feature set.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain