Love 'em
4 (16.7%)
Hate 'em
3 (12.5%)
Meh
17 (70.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 08:08:13 PM

Author Topic: Elon Musk, love him or hate him  (Read 11269 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Elon Musk, love him or hate him
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2019, 10:59:38 AM »
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

This isn't the place to discuss your broader ideas related to value (nor was the recent thread in which we discussed it in the context of DRM), but I would be interested in discussing them further if you'd be willing to start a thread on them. If you do so, please clarify whether your ideas are descriptive or normative; in other words, are you trying to describing pricing models that feel fair to consumers, or pricing models that are fair from an ethical standpoint.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2019, 12:57:09 PM »

SpaceX will assist NASA's first-ever mission to redirect an asteroid

Its mission: To smash a satellite into the Didymos asteroid's small moon in a bid to knock it off its orbit. What sounds like the plot of a Michael Bay movie could turn out to be NASA's first line of defense against Earth-bound asteroids.

This is batting practice. But the stakes are still high: Failure could derail NASA's so-called "kinectic impactor technique," success will provide the crucial data that will inform its deployment against an actual asteroid on a collision course with Earth.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »
Wow, Elon is all over the place in the news

Elon Musk company to build underground transit loop for Las Vegas Convention Center - Los Angeles Times

Billionaire Elon Musk finally has a chance at completing a commercial tunneling project after his Boring Co. secured a $48.7-million contract to build a transit system for Las Vegas’ expanding convention center.

Report: Tesla’s new Autopilot feature is dumber than human drivers - Los Angeles Times

SpaceX challenges Air Force awards on security satellite launches - Los Angeles Times

Elon Musk-led SpaceX is formally challenging the U.S. Air Force’s decision last year to award a round of rocket development contracts to competitors, arguing that the Hawthorne company’s entire proposal was incorrectly deemed the one with “highest risk.”

Could Tesla merge with SpaceX? A Morgan Stanley analyst raises the possibility - Los Angeles Times

Morgan Stanley stock analyst Adam Jonas told clients Wednesday that if Tesla’s troubles continue, it’s unlikely to be acquired by a tech company, an auto company, or someone from China. But it could end up merging with SpaceX, another Elon Musk company.

Tesla’s ‘extreme’ success in Norway becomes a double-edged sword - Los Angeles Times

The number of Teslas in Norway surged by more than 25% to almost 40,000 so far this year. The boom is proving troublesome, and Tesla is struggling to cope with its meteoric rise in Norway with the most consumer disputes per unit of any carmaker. The total number of complaints is likely to rise this year because of issues with Model 3s, including dents and sloppy paint jobs, according to Norway’s consumer watchdog.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline CarbShark

Elon Musk, love him or hate him
« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »
I’m surprised he didn’t settle

Calling a stranger ‘pedo guy’ was just swapping Twitter insults, Musk testifies

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-12-03/elon-musk-testifies-pedo-guy-defamation-trial
Dressed in a black suit and wearing a somber expression, Elon Musk testified in a Los Angeles federal court Tuesday that he was merely trading insults with a British cave rescue diver when he called him a “pedo guy” on Twitter.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »
I’m surprised he didn’t settle

Calling a stranger ‘pedo guy’ was just swapping Twitter insults, Musk testifies

I hope he doesn't settle. I want Unsworth to get everything he asks for, and for Elon to be made to apologise and get a verbal spanking from the judge.

A loss and having to eat humble pie will hurt Elon more than any settlement.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2019, 08:18:41 PM »
Is it defamation really though? If this turkey flies then I think our president may be in for a number of lawsuits from Adam Schiff, for starters.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2019, 08:57:27 PM »
How is it not "defamation"  and libellous?  ???

He calls Unsworth a "pedo guy". Claims that being an ex-pat living in Thailand is "sus" (suspicious). Implying he's there to have sex with children.
and then when called on it says "Bet ya a signed dollar it's true"

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
Sounds kinda like a case of projection.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2019, 01:36:14 PM »
How is it not "defamation"  and libellous?  ???

He calls Unsworth a "pedo guy". Claims that being an ex-pat living in Thailand is "sus" (suspicious). Implying he's there to have sex with children.
and then when called on it says "Bet ya a signed dollar it's true"

People have to believe it in order to demean his reputation and it has to affect him financially/personally. I understand Elon has a large following and this sort of insult carries more public weight than the shit that gets slung here for instance, but how crazy is it that someone can be sued for slinging insults on the internet. Elon was being a dick, and the term pedo carries more baggage than calling someone an asshole, but I'm not sure this is a great precendent to have him win.
If the guy's life has truly been upended and destroyed and he has employers and family members turning him away, or is being invesitgated for pedophilia, then sure, there's probably a case there.

Either way this isn't a good look for Elon and his public persona will rightly suffer as he has to account for this.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »
Is it defamation really though? If this turkey flies then I think our president may be in for a number of lawsuits from Adam Schiff, for starters.

The standards for defamation against a public figure are entirely different than those for defamation against a private citizen. Adam Schiff would have to prove not only that any statements he sued over were false, but essentially that he knew them to be false when he said them. In this case, the court has already ruled that Unsworth is not a public figure or even a limited-purpose public figure for the purposes of these allegations.

have to believe it in order to demean his reputation and it has to affect him financially/personally. I understand Elon has a large following and this sort of insult carries more public weight than the shit that gets slung here for instance, but how crazy is it that someone can be sued for slinging insults on the internet. Elon was being a dick, and the term pedo carries more baggage than calling someone an asshole, but I'm not sure this is a great precendent to have him win.

Falsely accusing someone of being a pedophile is defamation per se. The person defamed does not have to prove damage to his reputation because the conduct he is accused of is so vile that damage to his reputation is assumed. Claims that fall into this category are statements imputing that the plaintiff has committed a 'crime of moral turpitude,' professional misconduct, been unchaste, or has a 'loathsome disease.' These are things that fall into a completely different category than mere insults, and are things you simply cannot 'sling on the Internet' without committing defamation. This is centuries-old law, and would establish absolutely no new precedent.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2019, 04:00:10 PM »
People have to believe it in order to demean his reputation and it has to affect him financially/personally. I understand Elon has a large following and this sort of insult carries more public weight than the shit that gets slung here for instance, but how crazy is it that someone can be sued for slinging insults on the internet. Elon was being a dick, and the term pedo carries more baggage than calling someone an asshole, but I'm not sure this is a great precendent to have him win.
If the guy's life has truly been upended and destroyed and he has employers and family members turning him away, or is being invesitgated for pedophilia, then sure, there's probably a case there.

Either way this isn't a good look for Elon and his public persona will rightly suffer as he has to account for this.

It was reported pretty widely around the world at the time. I could see how it would upset Unsworth and it's something that is going to follow him for the rest of his life.

Anytime anyone Googles his name they will get the story about Elon calling Unsworth a Pedo (paedophile)
These sort of accusations can make people stop and wonder if those accusation may be true.

I don't think it's worth a 7 figure payout, but I would hope Unsworth gets a 6 figure payout (at least $500,000) and a public apology, to send a message that this kind of insult isn't to be tolerated.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2019, 04:07:38 PM »
Interesting, my understanding has been updated.
I will be curious to see if the court takes the accusation as seriously as I did. (which is to say, not at all)

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »
I think part of it was Elon had appologised and then at a later date doubled back down with a "it's funny he hasn't sued me yet" and describing Upsworth as a "child rapist" in an email to a reporter... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45418245

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2019, 09:05:09 PM »
I am a great admirer of Elon Musk, for what he's done for transportation, and because my car is a better driver than I am, which makes me a safer driver.

But I will say that this was a jerk move and he should have to pay a significant amount to the man he defamed. If he has any evidence of his claims against the man, he should turn that over to the authorities. Otherwise he should make a proper public apology and make amends.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2019, 10:01:34 AM »
I will be curious to see if the court takes the accusation as seriously as I did. (which is to say, not at all)

I highly doubt it.