Author Topic: Episode #682  (Read 2444 times)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #682
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
With a fixed budget, I would assume you could last longer on a global peak than in space.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »
With a fixed budget, I would assume you could last longer on a global peak than in space.

Without a space station or capsule or space suit, that's true, you'd suffocate in space in a few minutes. But people have lived in the ISS for over a year, and the Apollo astronauts spent several days outside the Earth's magnetosphere. Nobody spends even a whole day on a mountain above 8,000 meters. You might survive for a few days if you had supplemental oxygen and a tent. Mountain climbers at those elevations endure much harsher conditions than astronauts do. And even with all their gear, firefighters cannot remain very long in a burning building. Much harsher conditions than inside a space capsule or space suit.

I don't mean to minimize the accomplishments or the bravery of astronauts. I just think they're not the best examples we have of "the right stuff."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
I’ve known and worked with several astronauts, and I can tell you that yes they are indeed special people.

In general, they are not just smart and well educated, they are physically fit; very personable and friendly; well informed on a wide variety of issues.

In essence they are the rock stars of science. They are the cream of the crop selected from hundreds of thousands of potential candidates (millions if you count self-selection).

Courage and willingness to face danger is only a small part of why they are special people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
I am sure they are special. I've never doubted that. I just think that firefighters are more special.

I wonder if "rock stars of science" is really how you'd want to describe them, though. Rock stars are usually attractive, but often don't have all that much talent and are seldom particularly responsible. They are very popular, attract groupies, make gobs of money, and probably can get laid whenever they want. Many of them engage in destructive lifestyles. Great crowds of people love and worship them for what I consider all the wrong reasons. And their popularity often comes more from having skilled promoters than from anything about themselves. In my opinion, the average musician in a good symphony orchestra has more talent than all the rock stars on the top 40 chart at any one time, put together. And a musician like Hilary Hahn has more talent in her left pinky finger than all the rock musicians that have ever lived.

I respect astronauts FAR, FAR more than rock stars.

But indeed, like rock stars, the public seems to worship them. No, I'll stand up for the astronauts here and object to their being compared to rock stars. They are so much better than that.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »
I am sure they are special. I've never doubted that. I just think that firefighters are more special.

Generally they're not as educated, articulate, informed or personable as astronauts, but, in general, firefighters are pretty cool.

I wonder if "rock stars of science" is really how you'd want to describe them, though.

Yes. That's kind of joke among them.

Rock stars are usually attractive...

So are astronauts
...but often don't have all that much talent and are seldom particularly responsible. They are very popular, attract groupies, make gobs of money, and probably can get laid whenever they want. Many of them engage in destructive lifestyles. Great crowds of people love and worship them for what I consider all the wrong reasons. And their popularity often comes more from having skilled promoters than from anything about themselves. In my opinion, the average musician in a good symphony orchestra has more talent than all the rock stars on the top 40 chart at any one time, put together. And a musician like Hilary Hahn has more talent in her left pinky finger than all the rock musicians that have ever lived.

Obviously that's not the rock-star quality that metaphor means. Essentially the rest of science give astronauts the same esteem and respect that rock fans give rock stars.

I respect astronauts FAR, FAR more than rock stars.

But indeed, like rock stars, the public seems to worship them. No, I'll stand up for the astronauts here and object to their being compared to rock stars. They are so much better than that.

To be clear they are not being described as rock stars but are being described as the rock stars of science.  It's a metaphor, and like any analogy there are salient parts and parts that don't apply.

(Firefighters are the rock stars of public servants).
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.