Author Topic: Movies where the copy is better than the movie that started the genre  (Read 282 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
In many cases a movie will make a genre and other movies will be written based on the same basic formula.
Indiana Jones and Romancing the Stone for example.

In some cases one of the copies may be better than the original
One example is that in the 1980s, I would consider Monster Squad to be better than The Goonies.
I would also argue that Some Kind of Wonderful is better than Pretty in Pink, although they had the same writer.

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline CookieMustard

• Off to a Start
Re: Movies where the copy is better than the movie that started the genre
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
There is a sub-genre of films where a very small number of people are the only survivors after a nuclear war. Hijinks ensue.
I don't remember any titles but I think the earliest ones were in the late 50s and were pretty schlocky, I believe Roger  Corman did a couple of these. I'm pretty sure there were later films in this sub-genre that were a step up. The only title that occurs to me now is On The Beach.

Recently i've been watching some giallo films (basically Italian slasher films) and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage is definitely better than The Girl Who Knew Too Much (which is considered the first in this style)

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
I guess you have to be careful about "originals" and "copies", as often what we consider the original is actually a copy of a lesser known original.  For instance, I don't know but I assume that Raiders of the Lost Ark is a much more popular copy of some obscure original that a film nerd knows all about but I've never heard of. [ETA: Aaaand reading more carefully, the post above me alludes to this as well and I didn't mention it haha]

Someone who has seen both - is Seven Samurai a lot better than Magnificent Seven (the older one)?  I really liked Magnificent Seven.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline CookieMustard

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »

Someone who has seen both - is Seven Samurai a lot better than Magnificent Seven (the older one)?  I really liked Magnificent Seven.

I've seen both and I am a big fan of both and have both on dvd. I would say Seven Samurai is overall the better of the two.But,when I was in high school,the combination of McQueen, Bronson, and Coburn was the ultimate in cool.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
Rather famously, The Maltese Falcon that everyone has heard of is the third version and arguably kicked off Noir as a film genre.

Online seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »
I would also argue that Some Kind of Wonderful is better than Pretty in Pink, although they had the same writer.

Yuck. Not that I liked Pretty in Pink, but I recall seeing Some Kind of Wonderful and was struck by how much I hated it.

Online seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 01:20:57 PM »
I suppose any number of 007 Movies are better than Dr. No.

personate-rain
personate-rain