Author Topic: Girls do more chores and get lower allowances  (Read 489 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Girls do more chores and get lower allowances
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:34:00 AM »
I thought it was fascinating just how early the gender pay gap seems to start

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/upshot/chores-girls-research-social-science.html

It has long been true that women are paid less than men at work and do more of the labor at home. It turns out those patterns start as early as childhood.

Although there are a few signs that the gap is shrinking, a variety of data shows that girls still spend more time on household chores than boys do. They are also paid less than boys for doing chores and have smaller allowances.

One recent analysis, for example, found that boys ages 15 to 19 do about half an hour of housework a day, and girls about 45 minutes. Although girls spend a little less time on chores than they did a decade ago, the time that boys spend hasn’t significantly changed.

Shouldering more responsibilities at home is a big reason women are paid less than men and fall behind men in their careers, researchers say. Achieving equality, they argue, will require not just preparing girls for paid work, but also teaching boys to do unpaid work.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Girls do more chores and get lower allowances
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:19 AM »
If little girls were better at negotiating then it wouldnt be a problem. ::)

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 05:56:00 AM »
Achieving equality, they argue, will require not just preparing girls for paid work, but also teaching boys to do unpaid work.

Should that really be a goal? There are already unpaid internships and poorly paid jobs that exploit people who don't have a lot of choices. And rich kids who get to do well paid jobs without a lot of effort because of their contacts.

The gaps seem to shrinking because of the reductions in chores, and child labor being replaced with adults doing jobs. The children of educated parents do less chores, presumably because the parents don't actually have to rely on the kids as much.

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:30:00 AM »
Achieving equality, they argue, will require not just preparing girls for paid work, but also teaching boys to do unpaid work.

Should that really be a goal?

Yes.

(I edited out the parts of your comment that were irrelevant to the conversation at hand.)

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:58:15 AM »
Maybe you can say some things about why teaching kids to do unpaid work is important, beyond what we already do, rather than dismissing my comment without comment.

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »
See, I knew I'd get that response. Clearly I'm a shill for Big Unpaid Internship.

The conversation is about chores with children in the home. Boys do less work, and are taught to be paid for the work they do, while girls do more work, and are not paid for what they do. This sets up a basic degree of inequality that needs to be addressed as children. Telling a boy he has to do as much chore work as a girl in the home and not expect to be paid for it is not saying "let's train our kids for unpaid internships." It is just teaching boys that when it comes to domestic tasks they should be doing as much as girls, and they should not expect to be paid more for it. It's pretty simple. To tie that outcome to unpaid internships is spurious.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
Maybe you can say some things about why teaching kids to do unpaid work is important, beyond what we already do, rather than dismissing my comment without comment.

Chores are preparation for keeping up your house. Despite all the bad, my mom did teach me how to cook, clean, do my laundry, and generally keep up my own house so i didn't live in squalor. That's an important skill to learn, and one most people won't get paid to do. If you've worked in any job that had a "clean your workspace/common areas" rule, and had coworkers say "Well I don't get paid to do that" despite that cleaning being on the clock, you'll understand the importance of teaching children that basic living tasks don't necessarily merit being paid.

I've given 0 thought to the matter, but that's my immediate justification that doesn't involve internships at all.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
Boys having their fair share in chores is a fine goal. But they are literally saying unpaid work, not chores, and that's what I'm picking up on. In a world of growing wealth inequality, which is in spite of a reduction in gender inequality, I don't take lightly on hints of making people do more for less.

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »
The article in no way presents the idea that as adults people should not be paid for their professional work. The phrase "unpaid work" is used once in the article, and is entirely in the context of domestic responsibilities.

From the article:

Shouldering more responsibilities at home is a big reason women are paid less than men and fall behind men in their careers, researchers say. Achieving equality, they argue, will require not just preparing girls for paid work, but also teaching boys to do unpaid work.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
The way we are dealing with this in our house is that our children will not get an allowance.  With our daughter (age 5) we have said that performing basic chores (i.e. cleaning up your toys, tidying your room, putting clothes in the hamper at night, etc.) is part of being a family.  We all share these chores.  For additional chores we have set a pay-per-task system.  Example, helping bring out the recycling/garbage on garbage day is $0.50 per bag and $1.00 per can. 

We will take this approach with our son when he is old enough as well. 

It might not be perfect, but it's what we're staring with.
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline haudace

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:40:57 PM »
If little girls were better at negotiating then it wouldnt be a problem. ::)

Yeah, that argument is revolting. Another one I have heard is "Well, they shouldn't take so much maternity leave." I never know what to say after hearing that - it's too shocking/retarded. Let's ignore for a quick sec how our girls are breeding the next generation of workers and future tax payers - the backbone of society!!!

Gimme a moment, need to punch a hole through a wall.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »
The way we are dealing with this in our house is that our children will not get an allowance.  With our daughter (age 5) we have said that performing basic chores (i.e. cleaning up your toys, tidying your room, putting clothes in the hamper at night, etc.) is part of being a family.  We all share these chores.  For additional chores we have set a pay-per-task system.  Example, helping bring out the recycling/garbage on garbage day is $0.50 per bag and $1.00 per can. 

We will take this approach with our son when he is old enough as well. 

It might not be perfect, but it's what we're staring with.

Sounds like a cool system.
I have to wonder how much it will pay to mow the lawn?

Does anyone think large numbers of teenage girls would choose this job?  Im absolutely positive that some will and I would encourage them too (so I dont have to do it) but would large numbers of teenage girls choose to do that job vs the number of teenage boys who would choose to do that job or similar work? 

I have never once had a teenage girl knock on my door and ask if I need my lawn mowed but I would be willing to pay them the same.  Do you think large numbers of people would pay them less if they did?

Im not making any arguments against the topic. I also believe in equality. Im just curious if they would choose to do so if those type of jobs were presented to them with a way to make money? I pay my lawn kids $50 and I have a slightly smaller yard compared to the quarter acre I had to mow as a kid. (for $5) I know I pay higher rates than the rest of the neighborhood but I mow mine less. (because I think lawns are stupid but thats another topic)

If brother and sister both want the job it would seem logical to make them take turns but if one or the other decide they don't want it do you still force them to share the higher paying job?

Whatever anyones kids get paid to do the dishes let them know I will double it if they come and do mine. Brother and sister both paid the same.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

personate-rain