Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« on: August 13, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
Just thought I would start a general thread on repairs and upgrades of computers

I have a computer I built using an FX-8350 processor. It is probably now something like five years old. The processor is still pretty capable so have no plans to replace anytime soon. Still sits on the High End CPU chart of CPU Benchmarks.

One issue I have been having though is that I bought a cheap set of case fans to augment the one that was already on the case. Including the original on the case, but not the one on the CPU, I am running five case fans. While I have not yet had to replace the original case fan, I have had to replace every single one of those that I bought initially.

Even with one or two dying, it probably would do alright as far as cooling. The problem was that they started getting really noisy.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 05:29:21 PM »
Best case, best fans, best air cooler, I cant recommend the power supply or the water cooler because I have not tried them out but I'm sure they have the best fans inside.

https://www.bequiet.com/en
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »
My wife's laptop gets so hot where the power supply plugs into the laptop that the connection becomes intermittent and we have to wiggle the cord just right to get it to charge.  When I pull the connector out of the laptop and touch it, it would burn my finger if I left it on there more than a second.

I'm fixing the problem by trying one of those laptop cooling pads which will arrive tomorrow.  I already took the laptop into a shop and they said the fans are working and it is clean, so I just think it was poorly designed in the first place.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
My wife's laptop gets so hot where the power supply plugs into the laptop that the connection becomes intermittent and we have to wiggle the cord just right to get it to charge.  When I pull the connector out of the laptop and touch it, it would burn my finger if I left it on there more than a second.

I'm fixing the problem by trying one of those laptop cooling pads which will arrive tomorrow.  I already took the laptop into a shop and they said the fans are working and it is clean, so I just think it was poorly designed in the first place.

Is there a heat sink on the power input board? Sometimes applying fresh thermal paste will solve that problem.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »

Is there a heat sink on the power input board? Sometimes applying fresh thermal paste will solve that problem.

When she brought it back from the shop, she said that they applied some kind of thermal paste to something, but I don't know what.  Now we only rarely have the problem.  It is much better than it was, just not totally fixed.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
Not exactly a computer, being an analog board, but I spent a couple of hours today tearing apart an Allen & Heath GL 2400 mixer at work.  Fan was extremely noisy.  Tore apart the power supply, removed, disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the fan, then reassembled everything. Significant improvement, but I suspect the bearing is going and the lubrication will be a temporary solution.  Shouldn’t be hard to come by a replacement fan, though, and now that I’ve done it once it’ll be a snap to replace.

Thankfully the fan is not soldered into the PCB in the power supply.  I’m realizing that soldering electronics is a significant gap in my skill set.  I may have to find someone who can teach me.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 10:26:09 PM »
Not exactly a computer, being an analog board, but I spent a couple of hours today tearing apart an Allen & Heath GL 2400 mixer at work.  Fan was extremely noisy.  Tore apart the power supply, removed, disassembled, cleaned and lubricated the fan, then reassembled everything. Significant improvement, but I suspect the bearing is going and the lubrication will be a temporary solution.  Shouldn’t be hard to come by a replacement fan, though, and now that I’ve done it once it’ll be a snap to replace.

Thankfully the fan is not soldered into the PCB in the power supply.  I’m realizing that soldering electronics is a significant gap in my skill set.  I may have to find someone who can teach me.

I just inherited a soldering kit (circa 1950). I haven't used one since about 1985, and I was working with tin and sheet steel, not electronics. I'm expecting to kill a few electronics before I save them.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »

I just inherited a soldering kit (circa 1950). I haven't used one since about 1985, and I was working with tin and sheet steel, not electronics. I'm expecting to kill a few electronics before I save them.

Get some old boards from practically anything and practice desoldering and resoldering (get a solder sucker it will come in handy). There are lots of helpful vids on youtube.  Then move on to some cheaper project kits, once you get the hang of it its not too hard, making it look pretty can be and mine never are but as long as you can get the hang of it without burning your components or shorting your boards who cares what it looks like.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »
That is essentially how I learned to make brake lines. Didn't try to do them on the car and just worked with a peace of line on my kitchen table.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:18:22 PM »
I am a BIG fan of practicing on cadavers before attempting a live surgery. I have some dead electronics waiting for autopsy.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:06:28 PM »
I scored a 23 inch 1080p monitor at a thrift store for $10.50.
I like having a decent backup monitor just in case mine ever goes bad.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:44:35 PM »
I've had to remove one of my two 8Gb RAM cards from my Macbook, it was causing the dreaded three beeps and associated hassles. It wasn't the slot (sometimes the connections are a bit dodgy) as I tested each RAM card in each slot and the same one failed in either slot and the other card worked fine in either slot.

For general use having just the one RAM card is fine but when I run a virtual machine as well it really could use the extra RAM. Bit annoyed as it wasn't old RAM, a year or so sine I bought it but the local shop I bought it from went out of business (think I know why). Replacements are about $120. It can wait for a bit.

My only soldering job of note this year was replacing a rechargeable battery in an SRM Powercontrol V, a special bicycle power meter handlebar mounted computer that records a rider's power output as measured by strain gauges mounted in the crank spider. It's old kit nowadays but they were very well made units and it's still working over a decade later. I thought I had completely botched it up when the display went berko after soldering it in. Turns out is was a dodgy solder and a quick redo and it was all fine and works great.

I had to remove the black and red leads at bottom of this small board, take out the battery under that board (and wrapped in that yellowish film) and wire in a replacement LiPo battery. Cost about $10 and will be good for years to come.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 10:34:04 AM »
I haven't soldered anything since high school shop class, but I have some power lines to solder into small transformers for some LED lights. Off to YouTube to learn...

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
As SSDs get cheaper, I wonder when they will replace hard drives completely?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain