Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 5253 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »
Pretty minor tech question but still bugs me

I have a Dell Venue that uses a USB charger but it is non standard
It is 24 watts - 19.5v at 1.2 amps
Over the years I have had a lot of USB cables break.

Would I have to get a special USB cable for it?

No, the amps are the key.  1.2 isn't that much. I think most of them are rated at 2 amps now.
#non-belief denialist

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »
Ordered this monster today on amazon. Should arrive Monday. I almost went for the Matrix because it's the fastest 2080Ti that I've heard of, but after reading a bit more, I decided against it mainly because it's €500,- more expensive, almost twice as noisy as my current 780 DCII (whereas the Strix has a quiet mode in which the fans are off when idle and it's one of the quietest cards around), and while the Matrix one comes with a big out-of-the-box overclock, the actual PCB is the same and the maximum OC is roughly equal.
Mooohn!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »
Ordered this monster today on amazon. Should arrive Monday. I almost went for the Matrix because it's the fastest 2080Ti that I've heard of, but after reading a bit more, I decided against it mainly because it's €500,- more expensive, almost twice as noisy as my current 780 DCII (whereas the Strix has a quiet mode in which the fans are off when idle and it's one of the quietest cards around), and while the Matrix one comes with a big out-of-the-box overclock, the actual PCB is the same and the maximum OC is roughly equal.

why not 2?

LOL, that will certainly get the job done
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »

why not 2?

LOL, that will certainly get the job done

I think one will do... for now. }|;op
Mooohn!

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2019, 08:34:53 AM »

The ol' bag of rice trick is hogwash. If it worked, you wouldn't have to steam rice before eating :P The "other desiccants" probably played a role, but I suspect the alcohol did most of the work. That's my go-to, though you run the risk of damaging internal components. Helluva lot better than a dead toilet-phone, however.

After the bag of rice trick failed on a toilet-phone, I set the phone aside until I could figure out where to recycle it. It was in a side-table drawer for about 6 months and when I finally remembered where I put it, and was ready to take it in for recycling, I decided to charge it up one last time just out of curiosity. It worked! By then the phone had been deactivated and was relatively old anyway, but it did work (e.g., as a non-phone PDA) for some time after.

In a similar accident my ipod shuffle went through the wash. I disassembled it carefully and dried it out well. It worked again too, but the battery life was half of what it had been pre-wash.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
My experience with such things is that, even after they have been successfully 'dried' to the point that they work, the damage often occurs over time from corrosion once current starts flowing.  I had a keyboard that I thought I had successfully cleaned and dried but, when it failed week later, I found many of the traces on the PCB corroded to the point of shorting. I think trace minerals left behind, combined with the current, caused rapid corrosion.

Many phones now have nano-coatings inside that protect their components from corrosion, of course, which has improved the survivability of such disasters significantly.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2019, 02:43:37 AM »
I checked my work email this afternoon and saw that a user had spilled a cup of water on their Surface Book. The ticket was submitted the next day, of course, so my opportunity to take action has long since passed. I save desiccant packets when we get new equipment and luckily there was a huge one that came with a new printer the other week. Here's hoping it helps, cuz something tells me opening up a Surface Book is a really bad idea. I wish it had been an old ThinkPad...
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
So, I should be getting a payout soon from my previous employer and I want to use it to finish my upgrade.  I want a great all-round system for gaming and VR, data science stuff, and maybe some 3D modelling, and I have a ton of peripheral devices (10 HDDs, 2 bluray drives, an SSD, and a swathe of USB devices including 3D vision, a printer, 3D printer, webcam, a VR headset, a 3D webcam for computer vision stuff, a USB microscope, ...). It should last me at least 4 years.

I have the memory, M.2 drive (in the mail), and cooler picked. My current motherboard has a built in LSI SAS controller and I have a small SATA expansion card, but the motherboards that look the most appealing to me have 4 fewer SATA ports, so I've ordered a new PCIe 8x SAS RAID controller that I'll flash to work in IT mode, which can handle up to 8 SATA devices. That should give me enough room to maneuver storage wise.

But I have complete choice paralysis on the CPU. I probably want to go with Intel because it has a few features that I want for data science work and much better single core performance than AMD (even Threadripper, and most applications I run outside of some parts of my data science work are still single core). I've picked out two neat (actually, pretty extreme) boards that are roughly comparable in their number of features, except that one is HEDT/socket 2066 (and as such has more PCIe lanes, faster WLAN, more memory slots, and USB lanes), and the other is consumer grade/socket 1151. Give the number of peripheral devices (I don't mind if my storage drives are slightly sluggish, but I want my GPU and M.2 drive to work at full speed), I'm considering going with a 2066 motherboard, but all of the HEDT CPUs have poorer single thread performance than the 9900K, which would be my 1151 CPU of choice. But the 1151 CPUs all have 16 PCIe lanes versus 44 for the 2066 ones (I may want to upgrade to having a second GPU in the near-ish future, depending on how my career goes, and have an extra M.2 drive for a dual boot with linux and win10), less RAM bandwidth (dual versus quad), support less memory (which might become relevant for the data science stuff), and generally have poorer multi-core performance. If I go with the 2066 I'll probably go for the 9800X, though, which is roughly comparable in price, has the same number of cores as the 9900K, and is clocked at a slightly higher multi-core speed but lower single core speed. The price difference between the two is about 10%, and as such not really an obstacle for me. I keep flip-flopping between the two.

Oh, first world problems. Life would be so much easier if there was just one all-round best CPU. }|:op
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:13:06 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »
Finally made up my mind and decided not to go the HEDT route as the performance would gain a moderate boost in things like 3D modelling/rendering and non-GPU machine learning (sklearn), but actually suffer in the areas in which I use the computer the most. Decided to order it now that my "phantom unit" money has arrived. In the end my complete upgrade looks like this:

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB DDR4 4000 MHz
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition
Controller for extra SATA drives: Dell Perc H310
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti ROG Strix OC 11 GB GDDR6
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2
HDD: Toshiba 14TB drive
UHD-friendly BDEX bluray drive: Asus BW-12B1ST
Webcam: Logitech BRIO STREAM
Projector: Optoma UHD50 + new 10m Ultra High Speed HDMI cable + Hi-Shock DLP active 3D glasses
VR: Dell Visor (+ controllers)

(Already have a great case and PSU)

I admit, I went a little overboard, but I am an enthusiast, so I do like having them shiny hardware things. Cost a fortune, but other than storage (I am a massive data hoarder) I think I'll be good for at least 5 years.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:59:32 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2019, 04:18:29 PM »
I thought about getting a 4 TB internal drive for my gaming laptop as its storage drive. I currently have a 2 TB in there. Problem is that only Seagate makes one and it is a 15 mm height drive and will not fit in the bay. There is a 4 TB SSD but it is still expensive as hell.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
I suspect the problem will be the number of platters and heads you need to achieve 4TB of storage in a 2.5'' drive... The slimmest 2TB ones are 7mm tall as far as I can see. It's just not gonna fit in under 15mm with current technology.
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2019, 06:20:16 PM »
My thoughts were actually similar but doesn't stop me from wishing. It is also that 15 mm high 2.5 drives are generally of not much use if they do not fit in a drive bay. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2019, 06:47:46 AM »
I bought a Dell Tablet / Ultra-Book a couple of months ago

Started getting an error Friday "dbgcore.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. (error code 0xc000020)." Seems to control a lot of core functions. Some programs would also simply not even run.

Tried some command level fixes as well as an OS level fix. Finally, decided to start fresh with the OS and they failed. One was starting from Windows 10 and the other from the boot stage. The second one was halfway but still did not fix the machine.

I called Square Trade because I had purchased an extended warranty. They simply found an excuse not to honor their warranty - Basically eBay will sell up to 60 days out while they will only accept out to 30 days - Got my money back for the warranty but I suspect that all they really do is find excuses not to honor them.

I was tired as hell after fighting with it with no sleep. Asked my roommate to do a reinstall of the OS using a flash drive - I actually bought a bunch of 32 GB flash drives for just this purpose. He was able to remove the partitions on the hard drive (64 GB SSD) and able to reload the OS.

At the end, at least we got it working with no errors. A bunch of devices in the device manager were unknown however. This included the wireless unfortunately. Tried getting the wireless adapter from the Dell website, which kept giving us a "Bad Package" error. Connected through a USB to CAT connector. Did the update drives but some, including the wireless, still gave problems. Began downloading drivers from Dell and installing them one at a time until we got down to three.

The wireless was still giving problems. Looked up discussions on the problem. Had to download the wireless driver, use 7-Zip to unpack the executable, and then pull the file from there. That allowed me to install the wireless and blue tooth adapters, leaving just one.

Looked up my model and "Unknown Device" and found a suggestion. Installed that device and all drivers are installed. Need to reload a number of programs but that can be done even if a pain.

Still, this whole thing took many hours.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2019, 07:05:58 AM »
I bought a Dell Tablet / Ultra-Book a couple of months ago

Started getting an error Friday "dbgcore.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

I'm guessing the latter; it's apparently "Windows Core Debugging Helpers". Isn't it wonderful to have help debugging your OS? }|:op

From what I'm reading, it might be caused by that dll getting corrupted or misconfigured in some way. Would run a full drive scan to make sure you don't have bad sectors.

Anyway, I feel your pain.
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2019, 03:53:16 AM »
After the problems I had, I had ordered a new tablet / ultra-book.

The one I had been using was the Dell Venue 5130. I purchased the Dell Venue 7140 at the time. Maybe I could have cancelled the order but decided to keep it.

One reason is that there a program I use that is single thread and the 5130 is pretty bad at single thread.
The new machine also is much faster, a 64 bit machine, has 8 GB of ram vs 2 GB, and was listed with a 128 GB SSD vs a 64 GB SSD.

Received it though and windows was not registered. Was able to register it but there was another annoying issue. That was that windows gave all of its information in Spanish. Not being a Spanish speaker, more than a few words, that can be an issue. Tried to change the language in various places but nothing seemed to help. There was also a slew of drivers missing.

I got most of the drivers installed but still stuck in Spanish mode. Finally, I did a complete refresh where I reinstalled the OS. During the install, I was finally able to get Spanish out as the default language. As well, I was able to afterward finally get all the drivers updated.

Of interest, while it was listed with a 128 GB SSD, it actually has a 256 GB one. That actually helps quite a bit because my "working files" is about 30 GB, I have about 30 GB of PDF files, and about 30 GB of music. I would have likely needed to leave some of them off with the 128 GB SSD - The 64 of the Venue 5130 made me have to store files on a micro SD card.

As a side note, looks like Windows Defender is far better than in the past
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html

Edit: Now that I have been using the Dell Venue 7140 for a few days, there is not comparison in the performance between them. The  Atom Z3770 processor is anemic and the 5130 also only has 2 Gb of ram
On the other hand, while the Core M-5Y71 uses slightly greater power (4.5 vs 4 watts), its performance is far better and if fact better than my backup laptop. It also has 8 vs 2 GB of ram and is running Windows 64 vs 32.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:24:44 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain