Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
As SSDs get cheaper, I wonder when they will replace hard drives completely?
Probably not until hard drives stop getting cheaper too. 

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 12:19:33 AM »
The gaming laptop I bought has an issue. HP DV7t-6000.

The day before the issue occurred I was playing a relatively graphic intensive video game although not super high by modern standards. It locked up when I was switching screens. Completely locked. Could not C-A-D my way out. Something similar happened two or three times more that night. I thought it was something with the game however.

It happened again the next night. It rebooted and I played the game some more. Crashed again and I tried to reboot again. Would not go past the Windows 10 screen. Tried to do both a Windows 10 repair and roll back to a previous save point. No luck. I had switched to an SSD but I still had the old hard drive with the OS intact. I replaced the SSD with the hard drive. Acted exactly the same (would not go past the Windows 10 boot screen) although everything happened slower. Tried different RAM as well.

I am thinking it is something video or motherboard related? Thoughts?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 03:02:22 AM »
Which safe modes have you tried?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 05:00:38 AM »
I was able to boot it into dos only prompt but I think I tried low graphic mode and it would not run.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 06:10:55 AM »
Going to try to not ask too many questions but I do have another one.

Windows 8.1 machine upgraded to 10 during the free period. If you do a fresh start, does that reset you have to 8.1 or a fresh version of 10?

I tried to do some googling and did not find a real definitive answer. Might be that I am not asking the right question of course.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »
Which safe modes have you tried?

It will boot into safe mode. I just don't understand why if there is nothing wrong with regard to hardware why with a different copy of the OS (original) which worked previously will it still not work? My roommate tried to repair off CD as well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:19:40 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »
How painful is it to install an SSD drive on a PC? I'll start a new thread if we need it.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
How painful is it to install an SSD drive on a PC? I'll start a new thread if we need it.

Pretty damn easy. I just did one this weekend.
Replaced my 256 GB ssd with a 960 gb.
If you are installing it on a desktop, you will need a mounting bracket.
If you give me details, I can suggest what you need to do.
Are you going with a fresh install or cloning your drive?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »

Pretty damn easy. I just did one this weekend.
Replaced my 256 GB ssd with a 960 gb.
If you are installing it on a desktop, you will need a mounting bracket.
If you give me details, I can suggest what you need to do.
Are you going with a fresh install or cloning your drive?
Clone. I have a Lenovo :

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 08:12:37 PM »
And I made a recovery disk this weekend.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »
How big is the original and how big is the replacement - How much space on the original are you using?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »
How big is the original and how big is the replacement - How much space on the original are you using?
I have plenty of toy money, so I was planning on installing a 1T SSD. The recovery disk needed just under 400 G of space.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 12:09:47 PM »
You will want to use a cloning program - Maybe Macruim Reflect or EASEUS backup.
Should be able to plug in the new drive with an extra sata cable and there shoudl be extra sata power as well

The problem is that you will probably be left with a lot of unformatted and unused space.
There is a small partition on the right that will probably prevent you from expanding the main block.
To move that partition all the way to the right, you will want to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free or AOMEI Partition Assistant SE.
They should both be pretty intuitive.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »
My own advice when it comes to cloning drives is: don't.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Cattus

• Brand New
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »
My wife's laptop gets so hot where the power supply plugs into the laptop that the connection becomes intermittent and we have to wiggle the cord just right to get it to charge.  When I pull the connector out of the laptop and touch it, it would burn my finger if I left it on there more than a second.

I'm fixing the problem by trying one of those laptop cooling pads which will arrive tomorrow.  I already took the laptop into a shop and they said the fans are working and it is clean, so I just think it was poorly designed in the first place.

I realize this response is coming quite a while after you said your problem had been fixed but I thought it might be helpful to others for me to comment.  The way you describe the problem especially the jiggling part I'm wondering whether or not you have a connector problem.  If your jack on the computer is corroded, the additional resistance created by the corrosion could be causing the connection between the jack and your plug to heat up.

You might want to try cleaning the inside of the jack.  This isn't easy to do but a small jewelers screwdriver may allow you to scrape the contact parts of the jack sufficiently.  Also, make sure that the interior of the plug is also corrosion free.  I'm not sure what type of plug you have but hopefully, it's one that allows you to see and or clean the inside contact of the plug.

One last thing to try to do, and this goes for anybody having similar contact problems, is to buy a can of contact cleaner.  Spray it inside and on the jack and then work the jack in and out several times to try and clean any residue or material that might be causing either intermittent or high resistance contact.

personate-rain
personate-rain