Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 4638 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »
My own advice when it comes to cloning drives is: don't.
Why not? Alternatives?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 09:19:24 PM »
Backup your data (which should be in a user directory separate from your OS and applications), install your new drive, install a fresh copy of your OS, copy your data back, and reinstall the apps you need. It takes longer, yes, but I've had too many issues cloning disks to mess with it unless it's necessary.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
I have had pretty decent luck cloning drives. Might be the software involved?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 10:19:07 PM »
An edit on what I wrote previously - I tried to clone the drive of the new gaming laptop onto a larger SSD. After running into issues multiple times, I ended up simply going with a fresh OS.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2019, 07:00:45 AM »
Un does der Zoftware haf a name, ja?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 08:19:47 AM »

I've had excellent luck with AOMEI partition assistant: https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html, which comes in a freeware version which will, among other things, clone drives.  The freeware version is exactly what freeware is supposed to be: functional, and not nagware or adware.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »
Going to try to not ask too many questions but I do have another one.

Windows 8.1 machine upgraded to 10 during the free period. If you do a fresh start, does that reset you have to 8.1 or a fresh version of 10?

I tried to do some googling and did not find a real definitive answer. Might be that I am not asking the right question of course.

As long as the Windows 10 machine has been online and activated in the past, MS's servers should recognize its "hardware ID" the next time it's back online. I've had to completely blow away Win10 boxes and they auto-activate as soon as 10 is re-installed and its connected to the internet, even after installing a new drive. This should work for upgraded boxes, too. Also, the last time I did an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 was a few months ago, and it still let me do it for free. I'm pretty sure the July 2016 deadline for free upgrades has been quietly extended indefinitely for whatever reason, perhaps to get as many users on Win10 as possible.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2019, 05:24:48 PM »

I'm sure it does, but see Desert Fox's post directly above yours:

An edit on what I wrote previously - I tried to clone the drive of the new gaming laptop onto a larger SSD. After running into issues multiple times, I ended up simply going with a fresh OS.

This is the problem with drive cloning; it's hit or miss.  And, in my experience too much miss to be worth the time when I could just copy over my user data and reinstall a few applications on a fresh OS.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2019, 08:41:51 PM »
Problem with not cloning isn't the OS, it's the various applications which are not transferrable to a new system without purchasing them again.

I'm about to finish off an upgrade of a old desktop I use for my cycling training server. I've already installed a $30 2nd hand graphics card so it can run some video applications as well as generally provide a higher quality picture than the old VGA output could.

I upgraded the RAM to its max of 8Gb with $10 of 2nd hand RAM bought off local FB buy/swap/sell.

And I managed to upgrade to Win10 for free.

A 2nd hand SSD was not such a good idea I figured and I couldn't find anything suitable anyway, so have a brand new 1Tb drive on the way. A Samsung unit and was on special for less than most drives half the capacity. I plan to be storing quite a bit of cycle training video on it, so this will really help.

I'd previously cloned my Macbook Pro HDD to SSD and that worked fine.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2019, 08:44:35 PM »
Also I got another 8Gb ram card for my Macbook and that's now back to the 16Gb it was and is thanking me for it. With just 8Gb it wasn't coping well, particularly as I have to run Windows 10 on it under VMware at times.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2019, 09:10:28 PM »
You will want to use a cloning program - Maybe Macruim Reflect or EASEUS backup.
Should be able to plug in the new drive with an extra sata cable and there shoudl be extra sata power as well

The problem is that you will probably be left with a lot of unformatted and unused space.
There is a small partition on the right that will probably prevent you from expanding the main block.
To move that partition all the way to the right, you will want to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free or AOMEI Partition Assistant SE.
They should both be pretty intuitive.
Macrium Reflect enables you to easily adjust the partition size of any cloned partition on the destination drive as part of the cloning process making all the space available on the new larger drive.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:27 PM »

One I used recently was Macrium Reflect. There is also EASEUS

This is the problem with drive cloning; it's hit or miss.  And, in my experience too much miss to be worth the time when I could just copy over my user data and reinstall a few applications on a fresh OS.

Out of of six transfers, only had trouble this time.

I will say that Microsoft's Windows 10 tool is really useful. I used that machine to create an OS restore on a flash drive and restored from there.

Problem with not cloning isn't the OS, it's the various applications which are not transferrable to a new system without purchasing them again.

These days, the only pay software I think I use is Word Perfect.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2019, 06:40:10 AM »
As long as the Windows 10 machine has been online and activated in the past, MS's servers should recognize its "hardware ID" the next time it's back online. I've had to completely blow away Win10 boxes and they auto-activate as soon as 10 is re-installed and its connected to the internet, even after installing a new drive. This should work for upgraded boxes, too. Also, the last time I did an upgrade from Win7 to Win10 was a few months ago, and it still let me do it for free. I'm pretty sure the July 2016 deadline for free upgrades has been quietly extended indefinitely for whatever reason, perhaps to get as many users on Win10 as possible.

The previous owner had reset the computer back to a fresh state - As I wrote, I ended up just reformatting the 480 GB drive I had been using on my previous gaming laptop.

Ended up getting an Asus G751JL, about two generations (as far as CPU) newer than the previous one. In fact, its performance is pretty close to my desktop.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »

The previous owner had reset the computer back to a fresh state - As I wrote, I ended up just reformatting the 480 GB drive I had been using on my previous gaming laptop.

Ended up getting an Asus G751JL, about two generations (as far as CPU) newer than the previous one. In fact, its performance is pretty close to my desktop.

It sounded like you were asking if doing a clean Windows 10 install would negate its activation, if I misinterpreted that I apologize.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
It sounded like you were asking if doing a clean Windows 10 install would negate its activation, if I misinterpreted that I apologize.

Yes and no. I was asking if a reset of the OS (forget the actual term) would bring it back to 8.1 (the original OS). It appears as if the answer is no but instead it loads the latest version of 10 as a fresh install if you are already running 10.  Doesn't really matter that both because the previous owner had already reset it and I ended up essentially doing a fresh install after creating an install media from that computer.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain