Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 7200 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 07:29:40 PM »
With MakeDVD, ripping a DVD takes about 10 minutes and converting it to MP4 using Handbreak, maybe 15 to 20 minutes.
Normal Blu Ray take about 20 minutes to rip but 40 minutes to an hour to convert to MP4
1080 p MP4, which I cannot tell the quality difference between them and the original, can take anywhere from 3 to 8 GB as far as size. Some animated movies may be smaller.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2019, 07:44:21 PM »
With MakeDVD, ripping a DVD takes about 10 minutes and converting it to MP4 using Handbreak, maybe 15 to 20 minutes.
Normal Blu Ray take about 20 minutes to rip but 40 minutes to an hour to convert to MP4
1080 p MP4, which I cannot tell the quality difference between them and the original, can take anywhere from 3 to 8 GB as far as size. Some animated movies may be smaller.

It depends on your drive speed and CPU and the codec and settings you're using. I remember just copying a 1080p bluray took about 40 minutes on this computer with one of my old bluray drives. I don't know about the new drive though, since I last did that 3 or 4 years ago. I have a vague recollection that conversion took something like 30 minutes, but don't hold me to that - it might just as well have been 20 or 60. Of course, 4k would also take up quite a lot more space (I have three downloaded 4k mp4 rips on my harddrive now, and they're all over 40GB). But in any case, once I buy a movie, I don't want to have to wait 60 minutes and have it eating up tons of space before I can watch it, when I have a perfectly good copy sitting right there on a perfectly readable storage medium.

Anyway, as a frequent customer of the movie industry, I never feel treated like anything other than either a heinous criminal or a small piece of anal lint.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:48:01 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »
I think ripping the disk is more processor dependent than blu ray drive dependent.  On DVDs, when I switch from a Pentium-D to the FX 8350, the riping speed was night and day different. Was not ripping blue rays at that time.

The original MKV files are usually in the 30+ gig range, why I convert them to MP4 versions. I can watch MP4 movies on my tablet / ultrabook or laptop as well. My laptop have a blu ray rom but can still carry far greater movies.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2019, 08:21:44 PM »
I think ripping the disk is more processor dependent than blu ray drive dependent.  On DVDs, when I switch from a Pentium-D to the FX 8350, the riping speed was night and day different. Was not ripping blue rays at that time.

Yeah that used to be true when processors were not all that powerful and having enough RAM was a big issue, but unless your computer is well over 8 years old I think for the copying part nowadays the bottleneck is most likely the drive speed, not the processor or memory. A 1x bluray drive can transfer at 4.5mb/sec, which I guess would place an 8x one at 36 and a 16x at 64mb/sec, meaning that at 8x it would take at least 18 minutes to copy to your HDD, assuming the disc is more or less perfect. It could also possibly be the HDD speed if you have a very slow, dying, or highly fragmented one. I have some big HDDs that won't transfer files at more than 10mb/sec because they're filled to the brim and defragmenting them is no longer really an option. It doesn't matter much as I just use them for storage and they're still fast enough for that purpose.

For the conversion it's probably CPU, though. Although with a slightly badass CPU from the last 4 years or so, it could still be the disk.
Mooohn!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »

Yeah that used to be true when processors were not all that powerful and having enough RAM was a big issue, but unless your computer is well over 8 years old I think for the copying part nowadays the bottleneck is most likely the drive speed, not the processor or memory. A 1x bluray drive can transfer at 4.5mb/sec, which I guess would place an 8x one at 36 and a 16x at 64mb/sec, meaning that at 8x it would take at least 18 minutes to copy to your HDD, assuming the disc is more or less perfect. It could also possibly be the HDD speed if you have a very slow, dying, or highly fragmented one. I have some big HDDs that won't transfer files at more than 10mb/sec because they're filled to the brim and defragmenting them is no longer really an option. It doesn't matter much as I just use them for storage and they're still fast enough for that purpose.

For the conversion it's probably CPU, though. Although with a slightly badass CPU from the last 4 years or so, it could still be the disk.

Why not purchase them digitally in the first place? Unless your net speed is an issue I guess.

I have never viewed a UHD disk but I wonder if the quality is any different than a UHD stream or download.

Personally I don't like disk media of any kind. Maybe vinyl but I no longer own any.

With most of the cheaper 4k TVs I see on the market now im sure the average viewer would not know the difference. Which reminds me of a tech woe I should go post.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
As far as the FX 8350, it is on par with an i7-3770 as far as performance. Even today, it can (with a good video card) handle new games on ultra video setting. Coverting videos from mkv to mp4 was the one task that tends to get the cpu pretty warm.

Now, I also agree with captain video here. Everything I have read indicates that unless you have a huge tv screen and scrunched against the screen, you cannot see difference between 1080 p and 4 k.  The Reality Check podcast did a feature about it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

I do see some websites that state that resolutions matter at further distances but most seem to be trying to sell you a 4k tv.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:12 PM »

Why not purchase them digitally in the first place? Unless your net speed is an issue I guess.

It is. I have bad experiences with streaming. I definitely can't stream 4k. And I don't like to be too reliant on my internet connection. Plus there's just something I like about owning a physical copy of a movie I enjoyed. Otherwise I'd just throw it all on my harddrives, but instead I have a wall of movies. }|:op

Now, I also agree with captain video here. Everything I have read indicates that unless you have a huge tv screen and scrunched against the screen, you cannot see difference between 1080 p and 4 k.  The Reality Check podcast did a feature about it.

I do see some websites that state that resolutions matter at further distances but most seem to be trying to sell you a 4k tv.

That's why I have a projector. }|:o) My screen is about 2m across and at maybe 3m distance, I can see the difference, though just barely because my eyes are not great at a distance. When I put it on 4k, my start menu looks about the same size as on my regular monitor. }|:op
Mooohn!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »

It is. I have bad experiences with streaming. I definitely can't stream 4k. And I don't like to be too reliant on my internet connection. Plus there's just something I like about owning a physical copy of a movie I enjoyed. Otherwise I'd just throw it all on my harddrives, but instead I have a wall of movies. }|:op

That's why I have a projector. }|:o) My screen is about 2m across and at maybe 3m distance, I can see the difference, though just barely because my eyes are not great at a distance. When I put it on 4k, my start menu looks about the same size as on my regular monitor. }|:op

Now I am curious about your projector. What do you have?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2019, 10:21:49 PM »
I bought the Optoma UHD50.

It's pretty good for the price. Definitely a big step up from my previous one, an Optoma 300X. Had to fiddle with the colors a bit (the yellow is a bit flat by default), but then I always do that obsessively anyway. }|:op

The problem is, as I mentioned earlier, 4k video is way too choppy with my current graphics card, so I'll need to upgrade that too.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:24:13 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
The problem is, as I mentioned earlier, 4k video is way too choppy with my current graphics card, so I'll need to upgrade that too.

You're going to be in it for quite a bit of money and aggravation in the end to do something with parts that aren't designed for that purpose when a standalone Blu-ray player can handle it with no problems. I just don't get it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »

You're going to be in it for quite a bit of money and aggravation in the end to do

That'd be true if it were an either/or choice, but I want to upgrade my GPU for other reasons (VR, NN computing - I do data science - better gaming, grid computing, and so on), so I'll buy that anyway. The rest of the costs are roughly comparable, if not less.
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2019, 09:13:51 AM »
I was on the fence about whether this belonged in the DIY thread or this one, since the equipment is technically analog but incorporates a lot of electronics and shares many features with a PC.  In the end I decided for this thread.

The bearings started to go on the fan in the power supply of our mixing console (Allen & Heath GL2400) last year, which resulted in lots of noise all the time, but an especially loud grinding noise on startup.  This past August I had it apart to check it, but, since the fan needed to be replaced an would have to be ordered, I lubricated it and put everything back together.  It was significantly quieter for a couple of months, but of course the noise eventually returned.  So last week I ordered a replacement fan (the same model is still being produced 15 years after the console was manufactured), and yesterday I had it apart again and installed it.  Unfortunately, the new fan came without a connector and I did not have any compatible ones, so I had to disassemble the old one and solder the leads to the old crimp connectors. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.  The board is now silent again and I can't imagine how much I saved by doing it myself.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2019, 03:15:32 PM »
I don't know if Werecow is interested (and if available in their location) but NewEgg  has a good deal on an i9 bundle

https://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Apr-0-2019/UnboxSavings_YsC2yw_12/index-landing.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL041219&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL041219-_-EMC-041219-Index-_-Header-_-ClickHere&et_cid=49650&et_rid=15002986&et_p1=&email64=a2l0c3VuZUBraXRzdW5lc2Rlbi54eXo=

Just under $700

Thanks, I appreciate it. However due to an error at the bank I have yet to receive last month's paycheck, and between that, my recent €1500 projector upgrade and the €2000 tax bill I got recently I'm kind of low on gadget funds atm. }|:os Luckily the matter with the bank should be resolved soon, and it looks like I should have about €3000 heading my way for a different tax-related matter in a month or two.

Also tbh the GPU is more important to most of my work and personal projects, and will be a huge overall improvement for my current system, so I'll probably save up for that first and buy the rest over the course of the year.
Mooohn!

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2019, 08:07:59 PM »
Pretty minor tech question but still bugs me

I have a Dell Venue that uses a USB charger but it is non standard
It is 24 watts - 19.5v at 1.2 amps
Over the years I have had a lot of USB cables break.

Would I have to get a special USB cable for it?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain