Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 6263 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »
The manufacturer's website. ASUS.

Asus appears better than average from what I have seen in regards to support

As noted, the problem is not with ASUS or the drivers. It's Defender and, in some cases, User Account Control ("an administrator has blocked"... etc). Disabling defender and the built in administrator account solved the problem.
Mooohn!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2019, 03:45:24 PM »

As noted, the problem is not with ASUS or the drivers. It's Defender and, in some cases, User Account Control ("an administrator has blocked"... etc). Disabling defender and the built in administrator account solved the problem.

Yeah, ASUS is a trustworthy and reliable company.

The reason I asked is because some Windows users download questionable 3rd party software packages to manage their hardware. These programs sometimes appear at the top of Google search results for drivers, so people tend to assume they're OK.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2019, 05:39:14 PM »
The only issue I have is that my Asus motherboard is super picky about ram - I would like to increase it to 16 but I would have to replace both DDR3 chips - Figured best to wait until it is time to go to a new CPU/MB combination because DDR4 is now the standard.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2019, 07:36:31 PM »
The only issue I have is that my Asus motherboard is super picky about ram - I would like to increase it to 16 but I would have to replace both DDR3 chips - Figured best to wait until it is time to go to a new CPU/MB combination because DDR4 is now the standard.

DDR5 will be out later this year, they say.

What does the pickiness of your MB have to do with having replace the RAM in matched pairs?  If you’ve currently got 2x4, you’re going to have to replace both anyway to get to 16, regardless of MB manufacturer, right?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2019, 07:55:17 PM »
I have a single 8 GB which works fine - I tried a different brand of 8 GB DDR3 (I believe different speed as well) .
It only saw a single 8 GB. Bought a second one of the same brand as the second one I bought and still only saw 8 GB.
It appears as if only certain brands / types that it will accept in pairs.   
Yes, I updated my bios as well.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2019, 08:12:45 PM »
I have a single 8 GB which works fine - I tried a different brand of 8 GB DDR3 (I believe different speed as well) .
It only saw a single 8 GB. Bought a second one of the same brand as the second one I bought and still only saw 8 GB.

What kind of processor do you have?  Older Intel processors used to have a problem supporting certain chip configurations in DDR3 DIMMs.

Also be aware that even for the same capacity and manufacturer components can change over time.  If you can find the same model from about the same time you might have more luck.  I had good luck matching old SO-DIMMs by buying reclaimed ones on eBay.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »
Cannot remember the exact model of the motherboard but the processor is an Fx-8350. Depending on who is arguing, it is an i5 / i7 equivalent.

Crucial listed RAM that is suppose to work but I think it would be better to  wait a couple more years and upgrade to a Ryzen, new motherboard, and new DDR4/DDR5 ram.     
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »

Yeah, ASUS is a trustworthy and reliable company.

The reason I asked is because some Windows users download questionable 3rd party software packages to manage their hardware. These programs sometimes appear at the top of Google search results for drivers, so people tend to assume they're OK.

Nah, I always go to the hardware vendor's site, unless I run into specific driver problems that a 3rd party driver may fix. I actually tried to install them from the USB drive that came with my mobo first, with the same issue.

You may want to check if your memory slots are paired/dual channel and which order they should be populated in. You can usually vary the modules between unpaired slots without too many problems, but it might cause problems between paired slots (particularly if the modules have different latency or clock speeds). Usually one would just end up being downclocked to the speed of the slowest module, but I think I read something about it sometimes causing instability. So, for example, on this mobo:

you should use the same types of modules in the similarly colored slots, because they are paired and when both slots are populated they will be used in dual channel mode (which should give higher bandwidth), but you may vary the memory types between the differently colored slots. Although I've never had issues myself, tbh. I guess some mobos are more prone to issues than others.
Mooohn!

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2019, 12:08:06 AM »
Cannot remember the exact model of the motherboard but the processor is an Fx-8350. Depending on who is arguing, it is an i5 / i7 equivalent.

AMD processors do not have the issue I mentioned; they have always supported all chip configurations supported in the standard.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »
I upgraded by sister’s 9-year-old MacBook to an SSD yesterday.  She was using less than 100 GB of her 500 MB HDD, so I recommended a 250 GB Crucial SSD that cost her just $38. Had her buy me a USB-SATA cable for the transfer.  Ended up installing Mojave fresh and just transferring her documents and media.  The result:

Pre-upgrade —> Post-Upgrade

Cold Boot: 165 s —> 18 s
Chrome Open: 37 s —> <1 s

Next up is my mom’s 6 year old Toshiba, which has an extra drive bay.  For that one, I’ll be using the same 250 GB Crucial as a system disk and converting her HDD to extra storage (though, to be honest, she will only be using a fraction of the SSD anyway.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »
I have a computer I use as a TV server - It is the only computer I own that does not have an SSD as the boot drive. Makes me wonder if I should change out the hard drive for an SSD being how cheap they are getting.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2019, 01:37:04 AM »
I have a computer I use as a TV server - It is the only computer I own that does not have an SSD as the boot drive. Makes me wonder if I should change out the hard drive for an SSD being how cheap they are getting.

Is this an always-on server, or something you boot when you need it?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2019, 01:54:03 AM »

Pretty much always on - It is a low power processor
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2019, 02:01:39 AM »
I upgraded by sister’s 9-year-old MacBook to an SSD yesterday.  She was using less than 100 GB of her 500 MB HDD, so I recommended a 250 GB Crucial SSD that cost her just $38. Had her buy me a USB-SATA cable for the transfer.  Ended up installing Mojave fresh and just transferring her documents and media.  The result:

Pre-upgrade —> Post-Upgrade

Cold Boot: 165 s —> 18 s
Chrome Open: 37 s —> <1 s

Next up is my mom’s 6 year old Toshiba, which has an extra drive bay.  For that one, I’ll be using the same 250 GB Crucial as a system disk and converting her HDD to extra storage (though, to be honest, she will only be using a fraction of the SSD anyway.

I might have to do this to my sister in law's ancient iMac.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2019, 12:07:52 PM »

Pretty much always on - It is a low power processor

For a server that’s alway-on, I don’t personally see that much point in using an SSD for boot.  You save maybe a few minutes per year of waiting on reboots, but otherwise most of your IO will be to/from your media drives anyway.

personate-rain