Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 8199 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2019, 06:45:17 AM »
Asus M97a Le r2.0
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »
So, the only thing I can see in the manual that could maybe explain something like that is that 1 and 2 are on different channels, whereas 2 and 4 are both on channel B. Maybe the channels are limited to a total of 8GB each? Although the QVL section suggests otherwise.
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2020, 01:25:05 AM »
Something I simply do not get?
Why are used FX-8350 processors so expensive?
They are edging on the cost that I could get a much faster Ryzen, motherboard, and new ram
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:41 AM »
They are edging on the cost that I could get a much faster Ryzen, motherboard, and new ram

Supply and demand.  There are limited upgrade options for people on am3+ mainboards who want to upgrade their processor without upgrading the rest of their system. That creates demand, and the supply is fixed since AMD is no longer making that model.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2020, 06:29:49 AM »

Supply and demand.  There are limited upgrade options for people on am3+ mainboards who want to upgrade their processor without upgrading the rest of their system. That creates demand, and the supply is fixed since AMD is no longer making that model.

I did a quick check - eBay "Buy Now" prices for the Fx-8350 seem to be between $200 and 300.
Not counting China sellers which are probably scams
On New Egg, Ryzen 2700 is $150, AM-4 Motherboard $75, 16 GB DDR4 $65 for $280.
At least for me, if my processor died, I would just bite the bullet at that kind of price.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »

Well, but also, the FX-8350 has a maximum boost clock frequency of 4.2 GHz and a base clock frequency of 4 GHz, which, even though it's dated in other ways, still makes it one of AMD's fastest processors. The 2700 has a 4.1 GHz boost, but only a 3.2 GHz base clock. More details here.
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
This is just a little bit of silliness but I would love to build a sleeper in the case of an IBM 5150 case
Probably never do it but just always a cool thought
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:14 PM »
This is just a little bit of silliness but I would love to build a sleeper in the case of an IBM 5150 case

Not silly at all

I put a Pi in one does that count? The keyboard feels really good to type on.

We rented a ton of those on "The Frontrunner"  from another company. When I first hooked them up I didn't realize they had Pis in them and used the standard connections. They still worked or I should say I got a command prompt.

My dream is to build a sleeper into a late 70s or earlier IBM mainframe,  >:D

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2020, 02:10:03 PM »

Not silly at all

I put a Pi in one does that count? The keyboard feels really good to type on.

We rented a ton of those on "The Frontrunner"  from another company. When I first hooked them up I didn't realize they had Pis in them and used the standard connections. They still worked or I should say I got a command prompt.

My dream is to build a sleeper into a late 70s or earlier IBM mainframe,  >:D

The one thing I don't want to do is get a working 5150 but just the case and maybe one that is already a little wrecked although it has to at least look nice on the outside.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »
I've kind of been wanting to buy a new Z80-based computer using modern components.  I think it'd be an interesting project.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain