Author Topic: Concert  (Read 698 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Concert
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
I caught a Jeff Beck concert last night.
I am ashamed to admit I have been a fan for over 30 years and never actually went to see him live.
It matters not, because he is one of the very few musicians--and the only one from his peer group--who has improved his playing throughout the years. He's basically gone from being a great player in his youth to being in a class all by himself.
I consider him the very best musician from the British invasion. A very unique and creative guitar player.
One cool thing about him is he has a pool of amazing musicians he can call up at any time for a backup band. Seems every year it gets re-arranged.
Anyway, at 75 he doesn't just play the memory lane tour like many of his peers.
His stuff will weave through a jazz-tinged rock to some soul numbers, hard blues, eastern microtonal melodies and an angular techno-metal. Very cool. Took my kids to see it, they loved it

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Concert
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast! I'm not a big concert goer myself, but my brother in law is super into live music. I've been listening to Evanescence from day one and they played in Toronto a few weeks ago. It was a good concert, but the opening act went full hardcore woo toward the end of her set. Messed up the rest of the concert a bit.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
I used to go to as many concerts as I could afford when I was younger but my old has gotten in the way.  I was in CO a few weeks ago for a wedding and we happened to catch a show at red rocks. Amazing place to see a show, they had a beer tasting for a few hours in the afternoon with probably 50-60 breweries. You got a small glass with your ticket to the show and as more pours as you could get in the few hours before the music started. It was great, beerfest here typically charge per pour. The show itself was OK, but just great to be in such a gorgeous spot with friends. It was a bunch of 90's bands probably would not have paid to see back home, I saw some many years ago... it was the cult, Bush, STP and a few others I don't recall the names for. It was red rocks first beerfst/music fest. The only other show I saw this year has been the Dead Milkmen, that was a lot of fun!

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:46:30 PM »
I've been to a few concerts in my life, mostly of the sit-down-and-listen variety. There's absolutely no way that I'd subject myself to a "traditional" rock concert. I went to see David Byrne once in 1993 after Uh-Oh, which was pretty awesome, but as I've got older, my ochlophobia has just got stronger. Being part of a large and noisy concert is pretty much my definition of hell.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
Ah man Jeff Beck would be a great one, he is a giant on guitar.
I have tickets for at least 3 upcoming shows. I wish I could see more these days, and even play more myself.

I too have been ticking off all the bands I never went to see when I was younger, pretty much nailed them all in a two year period, but got to see Van Halen with David, AC/DC with Brian, Iron Maiden a few times, Metallica (coming up again), Peter Gabriel, and Brian Wilson to name a few of the legacy acts I never caught early on. I was more of a small venue goer for a while and just blew off the arena acts back in the day. I bet I averaged over 50 shows a year though for at least a decade...
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:24:41 AM »
Saw a lot of Metallica and Grateful Dead back in the day(and everything in between). I really regret missing pink Floyd in 94. I had moved to Norfolk for the summer and all my friends in DC where going. I could not catch a ride up and was broke and assumed they would tour again so I would catch them later :(. Also had tickets to see both Nirvana and Blind Melon and anther group I can't remember, maybe Sublime, that the singer died before the show. Meet a ton of musicians just being stupid kids and hanging out but the back door of the venue. Most where cool as long you just talked to them like everyone else and not like you where about to mess yourself because of them.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »
saw roger daltrey sing Tommy with a full orchestra in June.  It was absolutely one of the best shows I've ever seen and the guy is in his 70s.  I was honored to even be there.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.