Author Topic: What is a "reef tank owner"  (Read 1999 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
What is a "reef tank owner"
« on: August 16, 2018, 05:43:39 PM »
I don't get the reference.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: What is a "reef tank owner"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:02:21 PM »
You got here too late.

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
Yeah, that's a classic. There was a member that thought that a Reef Tank = chick magnet (I can't remember the name, even thought I should, he was a card.)

Is it time to update some of the special tags? I just rolled through 1984, and forgot to get a screen cap of it.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
It was Opcn, and the thread actually still exists, but it is in cold storage.

Here's the relevant quote:

I think that I am being accused of more youthful ignorance than I am displaying.

I understand that there is a low rate of success for someone in my position.

I was happy just being friends, I am happy just being friends.

In this stalemate where she perceives me as not wanting to be just friends our friendship is likely to fail, a relationship could possibly make it.

I have pursued females in the past and backed off to friends (like so many of you have suggested) and lost them pretty much every time I try, thus far what is being recommended has yielded a 0% success rating.

Some men have been successful moving from a friendship with a disinterested party to a relationship, clearly it is possible.

In this situation my end goal is to still have her talking to me on a regular basis, friendship or relationship, I also want to remain honest because up to this point I have been completely honest.

Member 5091: I am a young man in college with a kick ass reef tank, huge muscular arms, and a rear end that has garnered many a compliment, if I wanted to I could sleep with at least three women before the morning, sex isn't really what I'm after. (huge may have been an overstatement, my biceps are 15.5" and my forearms are 14", not a week goes by that no one compliments me on having really nice arms, girls round here really seem to like guys with big arms)

Immediately followed by:

reef tank?

And Opcn's explanation:

Salt water tank with fluorescent corals, and beautiful fish, panty peeler.

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »
Oh, man. I had forgotten the nuance of the message. THAT is a walk down memory lane. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »
Interesting. I had assumed that it was something that was talked about on the show a long time ago.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Funny, for years I thought all those people actually owned reef tanks.

My ex wife told me stories of some putz who used to hit on her using his reef tank as a means to get with her, also wanting to create "new fish" and name them after her.  There cant be anything too that but who knows, maybe I should get one.  >:D
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 09:23:10 PM »
Funny, for years I thought all those people actually owned reef tanks.

My ex wife told me stories of some putz who used to hit on her using his reef tank as a means to get with her, also wanting to create "new fish" and name them after her.  There cant be anything too that but who knows, maybe I should get one.  >:D
Thanks. Now I want to post more to change my tag :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
Is it time to update some of the special tags?

Not until I get the reef tank I've worked so hard for!

When Henning, Belgarath, 6EQUJ5, and I won Skeptical Trivia at NECSS a few years ago, we were Team Reef Tank.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
Is it time to update some of the special tags?

Not until I get the reef tank I've worked so hard for!

When Henning, Belgarath, 6EQUJ5, and I won Skeptical Trivia at NECSS a few years ago, we were Team Reef Tank.

Well you better step up your game. I hardly ever see posts from you anymore. (I have politics on ignore) Do we need to revive the Forumvision game or start a new one?

I thought there was a post that listed the messages and thresholds for each but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »
I thought there was a post that listed the messages and thresholds for each but I couldn't find it anywhere.
I'm curious about the same thing, actually.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
Hmm, I just hit 1999. I was hoping for a "party like..." or a "space..." color me disappointed.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
It was Opcn, and the thread actually still exists, but it is in cold storage.

Here's the relevant quote:

I think that I am being accused of more youthful ignorance than I am displaying.

I understand that there is a low rate of success for someone in my position.

I was happy just being friends, I am happy just being friends.

In this stalemate where she perceives me as not wanting to be just friends our friendship is likely to fail, a relationship could possibly make it.

I have pursued females in the past and backed off to friends (like so many of you have suggested) and lost them pretty much every time I try, thus far what is being recommended has yielded a 0% success rating.

Some men have been successful moving from a friendship with a disinterested party to a relationship, clearly it is possible.

In this situation my end goal is to still have her talking to me on a regular basis, friendship or relationship, I also want to remain honest because up to this point I have been completely honest.

Member 5091: I am a young man in college with a kick ass reef tank, huge muscular arms, and a rear end that has garnered many a compliment, if I wanted to I could sleep with at least three women before the morning, sex isn't really what I'm after. (huge may have been an overstatement, my biceps are 15.5" and my forearms are 14", not a week goes by that no one compliments me on having really nice arms, girls round here really seem to like guys with big arms)

Immediately followed by:

reef tank?

And Opcn's explanation:

Salt water tank with fluorescent corals, and beautiful fish, panty peeler.

Reading this is proof that yes, this forum has improved with regards to the sexism thing.  Whether it was by enough is up to debate, but improved, yes.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »
The quote above is actually only a small taste of the thread.  It’s really quite remarkable, and a shame that most can’t see it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
Hmm, I just hit 1999. I was hoping for a "party like..." or a "space..." color me disappointed.

You're one shy of a space oddessy now, baby.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain