Author Topic: New Rule Against Hate Speech  (Read 74892 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: New Rule Against Hate Speech
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »
Question: When someone cites a study that suggests some nefarious connection between a minority group that was published in some disreputable but vaguely academic way, does that count as hate speech? I'm thinking here of past tiffs on these boards surrounding books like "the bell curve".

Also I somehow feel like this thread needs one of these:

Mooohn!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:40 PM »
Question: When someone cites a study that suggests some nefarious connection between a minority group that was published in some disreputable but vaguely academic way, does that count as hate speech? I'm thinking here of past tiffs on these boards surrounding books like "the bell curve".

Hate speech is defined differently in different jurisdictions, but it is still defined. Wikipedia, as a summary, says that hate speech is "speech that attacks a person or a group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity." It will depend on whether such tiffs count as "attacks", and whether they are based on the victim's attributes or demographics. All occurrences will be subject to interpretation.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 08:59:24 AM »

Hate speech is defined differently in different jurisdictions, but it is still defined. Wikipedia, as a summary, says that hate speech is "speech that attacks a person or a group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity." It will depend on whether such tiffs count as "attacks", and whether they are based on the victim's attributes or demographics. All occurrences will be subject to interpretation.

To clarify, I'm asking about the mod policy, not a legal definition.
Mooohn!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 08:09:26 PM »

To clarify, I'm asking about the mod policy, not a legal definition.

The mod policy will include a definition. It'll probably be in the secret mod forum, but it'd be nice to be able to see it.

Mods - if it doesn't, it should.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2019, 02:59:37 PM »
There is no written mod policy beyond what was published.

Every report or suspicion will need to be evaluated in context, it is simply not possible to say if citing a controversial/scientific racist/etc. study is hate speech or not without seeing the full content of the post and the bigger discussion.

For example, there is a difference between citing Bell Curve as part of a critical, fact-based examination of the subject or doing so to claim that certain people are genetically inferior.

In general, we are very unlikely to crack down on genuine, inquisitive discussions, so there is no need to worry about it.

Anyways, the worst that can happen is that we give a warning, which is just that: an indication that a line has been crossed.

personate-rain
personate-rain