Author Topic: What is a "reef tank owner"  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: What is a "reef tank owner"
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
Yeah, this is why in my area, we don't even bother chasing crotch rockets; too dangerous, too maneuverable, too fast to really catch, and even if you do catch up your only real option is to pretty much attempt to murder them in order to stop them at all. Unless there's some underlying far more serious crime or they are actively trying to harm others, it's usually not worth it. I've actually had two experiences where a bike speeding wrecked after only a brief pursuit because they thought they still needed to run. Both were fatal crashes. One of em, the family tried to sue the state police for endangering their kid...

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »
They have a license plate, right?  What good does running do if the police can just show up at their house later?

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2019, 05:41:47 PM »
They have a license plate, right?  What good does running do if the police can just show up at their house later?

The police need to know whonto charge and if they have a full helmet on, it can be hard to prove who was driving in court.  Hell, I was in traffic court once and saw like 6 bikers' cases get thrown out because while they were all identified as being part of a pack of bikes that were swerving, speeding, doing wheelies and doing stoppies, the cop couldn't say for sure which person did which misdemeanor.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »

The police need to know whonto charge and if they have a full helmet on, it can be hard to prove who was driving in court.  Hell, I was in traffic court once and saw like 6 bikers' cases get thrown out because while they were all identified as being part of a pack of bikes that were swerving, speeding, doing wheelies and doing stoppies, the cop couldn't say for sure which person did which misdemeanor.

Seems to me that someone who felt that they really needed to get somewhere very fast could avoid being charged by reporting their bike stolen before setting out. And then maybe wearing a different helmet from the one they usually wear. It would probably be best to ditch the helmet when they got to their destination. Even if they have photo evidence, that person could say "yeah, that's not me".
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2019, 11:23:10 PM »

Seems to me that someone who felt that they really needed to get somewhere very fast could avoid being charged by reporting their bike stolen before setting out. And then maybe wearing a different helmet from the one they usually wear. It would probably be best to ditch the helmet when they got to their destination. Even if they have photo evidence, that person could say "yeah, that's not me".

That happened to me once when I was working.  There was an accident in my county and the trooper responded.  By the time they got there, the at fault driver had abandoned their vehicle and somehow gotten a ride from the scene.  40ish minutes after the call for the accident came out, I got a delayed hit that the at fault vehicle had just been reported stolen.  There are apparently a TON of games that people with no sense of shame or conscience know how to play very well. 

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2019, 11:29:04 AM »
Occasionally I see people driving recklessly. I don't think I see motorcycles doing it any more often than cars. Police should, and do, stop them when they can.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »
From the time I was a teenager I personally knew more people who died in motorcycle accidents than all other causes combined. That was the reason I got rid of mine at 16. (That’s no longer the case, as I got older other causes become a lot more common)

One of the motorcycle deaths was a friend, sort of, who died being pursued by police and they reported speeds over 90mph. This reminded me of him. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »
It's weird how life goes isn't it.  Of all of the people I've been close to in my life in my age group who are no longer here, the number one cause of death is suicide.  I don't actually know anyone who was killed on a motorcycle.  I had a cousin that died on one when I was young, my father blamed it on him not wearing a helmet so we always wore helmets in my house (father and grandfather were members of the same MC, father also raced dirt bikes in the late 60s before I came along).
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2019, 03:03:42 PM »
we always wore helmets in my house

Not to trivialize your loss, but this out of context amuses me.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
we always wore helmets in my house

Not to trivialize your loss, but this out of context amuses me.
Now that I read it out of context, it amuses me as well :)

Thanks.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »
There's no Galactic Skeptic or Universe Skeptic?

Both of those actually exist..... >:D

I planned for the long term!
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain
personate-rain