Author Topic: got any recent sci fi recommendations?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
got any recent sci fi recommendations?
« on: August 17, 2018, 03:57:08 AM »
I jsut finished "Seveneves" audio book.  It started out like near future speculative fiction, somewhat in the vein of a more ambitious "the Martian" and became a lot more in the final third.  It was pretty good.

2 more  sci fi books from this century I strongly recommend are "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson, and "The Three-Body Problem" by Liu Cixin.  Both are kind of Grand sci-fi trilogies, but the first books in particular are enthralling (the second and third books of three body problem also keep finding new ways to keep you hooked).

Any recommendations in similar veins? 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: got any recent sci fi recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 05:24:21 AM »
Artemis, by Andy Weir. Fun read with some nice convolutions in the plot. 
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »
Robert Sawyer's www.wake is fun (internet achieves sentience)

Also Stephen Baxter's Evolution - a far reaching experience like Seveneves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
If you have a decade to spare you might look at Peter F. Hamilton's body of work. Remember! All great trilogies come in threes!
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
If you have a decade to spare you might look at Peter F. Hamilton's body of work. Remember! All great trilogies come in threes!

Or even his stand-alone Great North Road, which I very much enjoyed.  One of my favourite books of the last decade.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 12:52:01 PM »

Or even his stand-alone Great North Road, which I very much enjoyed.  One of my favourite books of the last decade.
ONE BOOK? It's 1800 pages, right?  :P

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
Like I said.  Stand-alone.   :jugglesaws:

I don't remember exactly - something like 30 hours on audio?
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
I just got around to reading John Scalzi's "Lock In".  It's not hard sci-fi...kinda UF but with science instead of magic.  I enjoyed it.  Enough so that I already bought the sequel.

I just went through my GoodReads list and that's the only scifi I've read this year that was published this millennia that wasn't named "Ready Player One".  A few UF, a lot of standard Fantasy, a couple of horror and like 8 non-fiction books.  I need to hit scifi next year like I did fantasy this year.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 06:12:44 PM »
Thanks for the recs, I've read most of Hamilton's stuff.  The original commonwealth saga I really liked.  The Night's dawn trilogy was OK, and the evolutionary void trilogy... I quit halfway through the 3rd book, I just completely lost track of what was going on.

Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 06:20:55 PM »
I've really enjoyed everything Scalzi has written.

I don't know if Charles Stross' series The Laundry Files fits your taste... it's a combination of sci fi and fantasy and horror. Very well written, but not for everyone.

Dennis Taylor's Bobiverse books are a blast.

Rob Reid's Year Zero had me grinning almost continuously. Hilarious reading by John Hodgman on Audible.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
Two hardcore prolific scifi authors I like, Alan Dean Foster and Jack L. Chalker.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »
Two hardcore prolific scifi authors I like, Alan Dean Foster and Jack L. Chalker.

Are they still writing? Cool. I used to read a lot of them both. The Humanx stories from ADF were a lot of fun. I found Flinx tales spiralled out of control and stopped making much sense though.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »

Are they still writing? Cool. I used to read a lot of them both. The Humanx stories from ADF were a lot of fun. I found Flinx tales spiralled out of control and stopped making much sense though.
Chalker's dead. I haven't checked Foster's pulse. I recently had enough time to read all the Flinx books straight through. I found his links past and future to be ... interesting.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 08:58:33 PM »
The Expanse series is always worth a read. The TV series was good, but the books are extremely good.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 02:27:11 AM »
Some of my favourite Sci-Fi from this century.

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson
The novel concerns a generation ship traveling to Tau Ceti in order to begin a human colony. The novel's primary narrating voice is the starship's artificial intelligence.

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell and it's sequel (Children of God)
In 2019, humanity finally finds proof of extraterrestrial life when a listening post in Puerto Rico picks up exquisite singing from a planet that will come to be known as Rakhat. While United Nations diplomats endlessly debate a possible first contact mission, the Society of Jesus quietly organizes an eight-person scientific expedition of its own. What the Jesuits find is a world so beyond comprehension that it will lead them to question what it means to be "human".

I loved the "Remembrance of Earth's Past" series you mentioned (Three-Body Problem and it's 2 sequels). That is one of the best series I have ever read