Author Topic: Episode #684  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
Re: Episode #684
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
I blew my daughter's mind with pictures of chimeric cats with (IIRC) sea-jelly DNA making them fluorescent under UV light. We had a giggle trying to name it. Jellycat won the day.

I can haz Jellycat nao?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
I blew my daughter's mind with pictures of chimeric cats with (IIRC) sea-jelly DNA making them fluorescent under UV light. We had a giggle trying to name it. Jellycat won the day.

I'm sure you meant to write Jellical cat. ;)
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »

I'm sure you meant to write Jellical cat. ;)

You need to explain that so I can use it in the future - 'cause I do not at all know why "jellical cat" is better. I'm on board to believe it IS better. Just want to know why?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »

I can haz Jellycat nao?

Maybe? Click through and talk to the Smithsonian.

:)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 12:26:48 AM »
You need to explain that so I can use it in the future - 'cause I do not at all know why "jellical cat" is better. I'm on board to believe it IS better. Just want to know why?

Are you blind when you're born?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 03:28:06 AM »
Sorry...should have been ‘Jellicle.’
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
I do not want a fluorescent cat. I want a normal American shorthair tabby cat because that's the closest thing to a Bengal tiger that it's safe to keep in the house. Not so safe for the furniture, but much less likely than a tiger to regard me as food. (I'll probably get one if the time ever comes that I stop traveling. A tabby car that is, not a tiger.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
Sorry...should have been ‘Jellicle.’

I had no idea about any of that. Thanks for the link.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
I do not want a fluorescent cat. I want a normal American shorthair tabby cat because that's the closest thing to a Bengal tiger...
A tabby cat is the closest thing to its wildcat progenitor. Is the below a housecat or an African wildcat?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 08:56:55 PM »
I cheated to figure it out. Morphology is not a particularly reliable guide on these things, but it's always fun to see.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »
I do not want a fluorescent cat. I want a normal American shorthair tabby cat because that's the closest thing to a Bengal tiger...
A tabby cat is the closest thing to its wildcat progenitor. Is the below a housecat or an African wildcat?

That picture could have been my cat. So I suppose you'll say it's an African wild cat. But it's the perfect image of mine.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
That picture could have been my cat. So I suppose you'll say it's an African wild cat. But it's the perfect image of mine.
I prefer tabbies, too, Daniel. They are so close in appearance to a wildcat so as to be indistinguishable, which I consider a bonus.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
Sometimes I pretended that my cat was a tiger.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »
If we’re posting pictures of cats, I have to post one of mine:

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
If we’re posting pictures of cats, I have to post one of mine:

He's so cute!!!
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain