Author Topic: Episode #685  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #685
« on: August 25, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »
What's the Word: Transfect
News Items: Room Temperature Superconductor Questioned, Teleology and Conspiracies, Kratom Poisoning, Neanderthal Denisovan Child, Neutron Stars
Who's That Noisy
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline jsandlin

• Triskaidekaphilic
    • http://www.switchtech.us
Re: Episode #685
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:18:26 AM »
When you all were discussing superconductors, I was thinking Leonard Bernstein... just kidding.

I do hope we discover proper "room-temperature" superconductors. In the event these continue to be elusive, however, cleaner fission reactors need to be investigated.

jbs
-
John B. Sandlin

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:21:43 AM »
OK, a super-conducting toaster is the funniest idea I've heard in a couple weeks... can we expand on this humor?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline sad hominin

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »
The SGU really disappointed me here with their credulousness in believing the FDA's word on kratom.

We don't need more illegal plant matter for people to go crowd prisons over.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 09:03:00 PM »
The FDA doesn't really have to be taken at "it's word" what with their statements being based on evidence, precaution, or both. For example, https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm584952.htm says,

FDA is concerned that kratom, which affects the same opioid brain receptors as morphine, appears to have properties that expose users to the risks of addiction, abuse, and dependence.

There are no FDA-approved uses for kratom, and the agency has received concerning reports about the safety of kratom. FDA is actively evaluating all available scientific information on this issue and continues to warn consumers not to use any products labeled as containing the botanical substance kratom or its psychoactive compounds, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. FDA encourages more research to better understand kratom’s safety profile, including the use of kratom combined with other drugs.

How is it credulous to take a measured, skeptical approach?

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline sad hominin

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
"Its" credulous to think that kratom has caused ~40 deaths (as opposed to the never ending death toll of cigarettes and alcohol) with no causal links and to enact laws based on such sparse evidence.

I suppose this is a matter of politics, but it seems pretty ridiculous and heavy-handed to me.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »
"Its" credulous to think that kratom has caused ~40 deaths (as opposed to the never ending death toll of cigarettes and alcohol) with no causal links and to enact laws based on such sparse evidence.

I suppose this is a matter of politics, but it seems pretty ridiculous and heavy-handed to me.

It’s actually a matter of principle.  That someone, somewhere could be having fun.  It’s got to be stopped.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
Once again, the Rogues remind me that they do not share my thoughts about recreational drugs. 

I admit that I grew up with ten cent blotter and $15 lids of Oaxacan and no one in my circle of friends seemed to have a problem, especially the ones that put themselves through medical school.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
Once again, the Rogues remind me that they do not share my thoughts about recreational drugs. 

I admit that I grew up with ten cent blotter and $15 lids of Oaxacan and no one in my circle of friends seemed to have a problem, especially the ones that put themselves through medical school.

I haven't heard them state much outright about their position on recreational drugs.  They seem to focus on the medical claims and in this case the status as a supplement, which I agree with them is bullshitty. 

Offline sad hominin

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 05:55:39 PM »
It is bullshit, but for me it's a matter of freedom. I'm not surprised that a medical doctor like Steve would feel the way he does. I just wasn't expecting them to all jump on the "kratom bad!" bandwagon and buy into the deaths being likely caused by kratom itself and not stupid people mixing drugs/people who already have medical issues and shouldn't be messing with supplements or recreational drugs.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:59:48 PM by sad hominin »

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »
I don't understand why we're having trouble putting their kratom reporting into the context of the last 10+ years of the podcast.  Kratom is being sold at natural medicine and supplement stores.  Like every other natural product, vendors will claim that it falls under DSHEA, which ultimately makes it harder to study and harder to regulate.  The idea that we should give it the benefit of the doubt (I'm talking about the drug here, not passing judgement on users) is just as ridiculous as when this loose standard is applied to any other "natural" health product.

We could of course get rid of DSHEA and still not *criminalize* the possession of kratom, even if it ends up being harmful.  But that's two evidence-based drug policy decisions at once, and I'm not holding out for that miracle to occur.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 09:30:46 AM »
I think people should be able to take whatever drugs they want ideally.
I also believe that EVERYTHING sold for human consumption should be subject to regulation and testing.

These ideas are not mutually exclusive unless you are really lazy.

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 06:20:50 AM »
I don't understand why we're having trouble putting their kratom reporting into the context of the last 10+ years of the podcast. 

Thanks for swooping in and setting us all straight, sir!  I'm very proud of ya. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:08:32 PM by PabloHoney »

personate-rain