Author Topic: Tofu pudding  (Read 1302 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Tofu pudding
« on: August 29, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
I'm posting this in "health, Fitness, Nutrition..." because I don't know where else a recipe belongs.

Put one block of soft tofu, two ripe bananas, and one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a blender and blend well. Pour into containers and refrigerate.

Yum.

Had this at one of the hiking lodges, where they made it because I'm lactose intolerant. They topped it with fake whipped cream made of coconut that came out of a pressurized can. I made it at home without the fake whipped cream.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: Tofu pudding
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »
You didn’t include any weights. 

I’ve tried with 350 g of hard tofu, 175 g of banana and 40 g of Lindt 90% dark chocolate.  The tofu and the banana didn’t blend, so I also added 200 g of skim milk yoghurt (which sort of spoils the lactose free).  The result is semi-solid.  I’ll let you know when it’s refrigerated and I try it this afternoon.  I’ll probably add some walnuts to the top.

It should taste good even if it doesn’t become solid.

It was very good, but I’m going to modify the recipe to see if I can make it better.  Perhaps add more banana and reduce the yoghurt.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:24:32 AM by bachfiend »
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
Yogurt has no lactose, so your recipe is still lactose-free. It's just not vegan.  And I think it might change the texture. I do think it works better with soft tofu. And the bananas need to be ripe. Then it all blends nicely, though there's a bit of granularity from the chocolate that mostly blends in but not perfectly. I like the crunchy chocolate specks.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
Yogurt has no lactose, so your recipe is still lactose-free. It's just not vegan.  And I think it might change the texture. I do think it works better with soft tofu. And the bananas need to be ripe. Then it all blends nicely, though there's a bit of granularity from the chocolate that mostly blends in but not perfectly. I like the crunchy chocolate specks.

I think yoghurt is lactose reduced, not lactose-free.  Not all the lactose is metabolised by the bacteria.  People with lactose intolerance may be able to tolerate yoghurt (in the same way that they may be able to tolerate small amounts of ordinary milk), but not always.  I didn’t realise you were a vegan.

I used hard tofu because that’s what I buy and have on hand.  As I noted, I’m going to play around with the recipe.  When I finish the current batch, I’ll try with soft tofu, bananas and the chocolate only (although finding the ripe bananas might be a problem - they never seem to last uneaten at home).

I never would have thought of eating tofu with bananas.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 04:17:48 PM »

I think yoghurt is lactose reduced, not lactose-free.  Not all the lactose is metabolised by the bacteria.  People with lactose intolerance may be able to tolerate yoghurt (in the same way that they may be able to tolerate small amounts of ordinary milk), but not always.  I didn’t realise you were a vegan.

I used hard tofu because that’s what I buy and have on hand.  As I noted, I’m going to play around with the recipe.  When I finish the current batch, I’ll try with soft tofu, bananas and the chocolate only (although finding the ripe bananas might be a problem - they never seem to last uneaten at home).

I'm not a vegan. I'm not even a vegetarian, though I was for many years. I've always eaten dairy, though I've been lactose intolerant for decades now. I eat fish including shellfish. But I eat no meat or poultry. The recipe, however, is vegan if you don't add dairy to it.

I never would have thought of eating tofu as part of a dessert. But then, I never would have thought of using lentils in chocolate cake until I found a recipe for lentil chocolate cake in a leaflet from the American Dried Pea and Lentil Commission, in a 50-pound bag of lentils that I had just opened to fill pint plastic bags with lentils to include in the food baskets we gave away nightly when I was working at the homeless shelter. I made the cake and it was a real hit. You couldn't taste the lentils at all, though they were a major ingredient, but they made the cake especially moist.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »

I'm not a vegan. I'm not even a vegetarian, though I was for many years. I've always eaten dairy, though I've been lactose intolerant for decades now. I eat fish including shellfish. But I eat no meat or poultry. The recipe, however, is vegan if you don't add dairy to it.

I never would have thought of eating tofu as part of a dessert. But then, I never would have thought of using lentils in chocolate cake until I found a recipe for lentil chocolate cake in a leaflet from the American Dried Pea and Lentil Commission, in a 50-pound bag of lentils that I had just opened to fill pint plastic bags with lentils to include in the food baskets we gave away nightly when I was working at the homeless shelter. I made the cake and it was a real hit. You couldn't taste the lentils at all, though they were a major ingredient, but they made the cake especially moist.

I’ve heard of beetroot cake, which is apparently very good, although I haven’t tried it and can’t make it since I don’t have a non-microwave oven.  There’s a lot of desserts that can be made with apparently non-traditional ingredients.  I wonder how or why someone thought of using them?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
.. There’s a lot of desserts that can be made with apparently non-traditional ingredients.  I wonder how or why someone thought of using them?

In the case of the lentil chocolate cake, that's easy: It was the American Dried Pea and Lentil Commission cranking out ways to use lentils in order to increase sales. The leaflet had a lot of other recipes as well.

Lentils are my least-favorite legume. I don't care for their flavor at all, even though I like nearly all the others. They kind of taste like dirt to me. But in the cake their flavor disappeared entirely, contributing only their moistness and body.

In the case of the tofu pudding I'll speculate that since pudding is often made of milk, and tofu is curdled soy milk, the idea seemed obvious to someone. A bit of experimentation, and the addition of bananas for their sweetness and consistency, and there you have it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
Ive had a lot of success with the original recipe.  I’ve settled on 300 g of soft tofu, 350 g of bananas (they don’t need to be over-ripe) and 40 g of dark 90% Lindt chocolate).

I suggest the name ‘banana and tofu mousse’ instead of ‘tofu pudding.’  It’s delicious.  I add 20 g of walnuts to 150 g.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »
I've decided that one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips is too much. I call it pudding because that's what it seems like to me. I've never been quite sure what mousse is. If I was going to serve it to someone who I knew didn't like tofu, I'd just call it banana pudding. :)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 11:58:24 PM »
I've decided that one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips is too much. I call it pudding because that's what it seems like to me. I've never been quite sure what mousse is. If I was going to serve it to someone who I knew didn't like tofu, I'd just call it banana pudding. :)

I agree 1/2 cup of chocolate chips is too much.  40 g of very dark chocolate is definitely enough.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
I think I'm going to try 2/3 C. next time. I do like a strong chocolate flavor. The best dessert I remember in recent years was triple chocolate frozen yogurt: Chocolate frozen yogurt with chocolate chips and chocolate swirls. Fortunately for my waistline, I've been unable to find it here in Spokane.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
I think I'm going to try 2/3 C. next time. I do like a strong chocolate flavor. The best dessert I remember in recent years was triple chocolate frozen yogurt: Chocolate frozen yogurt with chocolate chips and chocolate swirls. Fortunately for my waistline, I've been unable to find it here in Spokane.

I like chocolate too, but it has to be good chocolate.  Dark chocolate.  I only eat Lindt 90% dark chocolate which is the strongest available in Australia (in Europe they have a 95% chocolate).  I manage to restrict myself to one square or 10 g a day, so I’d probably pass the marshmallow test.  Or not - whenever my supermarket has a 50% off sale of Lindt chocolate, I buy an extra 4 bars or so, so now my fridge is loaded with at least a year’s supply.

I find 40 g gives the banana mousse a good brown colour and doesn’t overpower the flavour of the bananas.  It’s a very good recipe.  I’m pleased you put me onto it.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
I've had a Lindt 99% bar.  Almost inedible.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
I've had a Lindt 99% bar.  Almost inedible.

So have I.  I had it in Germany this year, buying it at the chocolate museum in Cologne (the Germans seem to like having museums for strange single object subjects, such as the toy museum in Munich and the tea museum in Norden).  Actually, l liked it.  I think that chocolate should be bitter, not sweet, and the more bitter the better (to better go with my very bitter personality).  My favourite vegetables are Brussels sprouts, which are very bitter too.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »
With the exception of dark chocolate over about 85%, I like pretty much all chocolate. I like the standard American milk chocolates like Hershey's and M&Ms and Mars, I like the fine craft chocolates and the upscale store brands. I like milk chocolate and dark chocolate as long as the percentage is not too high. I like Swiss chocolate and German chocolate. I like almost all chocolate.

Note: "White chocolate" is not chocolate. It's just white candy. Chocolate by definition contains both cocoa and cocoa butter. Other ingredients by type. But if there's no cocoa, or there's no cocoa butter, it's not chocolate.

...  It’s a very good recipe.  I’m pleased you put me onto it.

You're very welcome. I'm grateful to the woman at the hiking lodge (she and her husband own and operate the lodge) who made it for me and gave me the recipe.

... My favourite vegetables are Brussels sprouts, which are very bitter too.

I love Brussels sprouts. I don't find them bitter at all. (They're not my favorite veggie. But I do love them. I don't think I have a favorite veggie. But I like carrots and kohl rabbi and sweet corn and peas and fresh young green beans and beets more than Brussels sprouts, to name just a few that immediately come to mind.)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain