Author Topic: Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation  (Read 1604 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation
« on: September 01, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
I know the news has been out for a while, but I wondered how people are feeling about the prospect of Amazon’s new Lord of The Rings series.  So far we don’t know a lot of details, but here are the bullet points:

• $250 million for the rights
  • 5-season committment
  • Total budget said to be $1 billion
  • Set before LotR trilogy, based on appendix materials

So, what do people think? Anything in particular you want to see (or want not to see)?  Suggestions for casting? Hopes, fears, concerns, etc?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »
Tolkien was a scholar as well as a fine writer. They'll probably just make another sword & sorcery fantasy series that has none of the quality or feel or cultural authenticity of Tolkien's books. It's like when other authors write Sherlock Holmes stories. They're just detective stories trying to capitalize on a famous fictional character's name, with none of the quality of the original.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 05:25:00 PM »
They have announced the show runners. They are JD Payne and Patrick McKay who wrote Star Trek: Beyond.

I have seen rumours that the first season will be about young Aragorn. So expect to see Aragorn adventuring Middle Earth with the odd fan service LotR character thrown in and Arwen as his love interest/adventure buddy.

We know The Silmarillion is not available as source material because the Tolkien estate won't sell the rights.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
I still haven't watched The Hobbit trilogy, partially because it sounds like there's a lot of filler content to stretch it to a trilogy. I don't know if they can do better making an entire series from appendix material. Why does it have to be Tolkien, instead of its own story?

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »
I still haven't watched The Hobbit trilogy, partially because it sounds like there's a lot of filler content to stretch it to a trilogy. I don't know if they can do better making an entire series from appendix material. Why does it have to be Tolkien, instead of its own story?

The answer is yes.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »

Because they want to profit from a popular name.

ETA: Same reason the Sherlock Holmes movies, which had nothing whatsoever to do with the traditional character, used his name.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 07:23:58 PM »
A 2.5-hr edit of the Hobbit trilogy might be a good movie.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 07:56:15 PM »
If you have not seen this

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
I am unoptimistic.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
I'm more optimistic about Amazon's "Wheel of Time" then Amazon's "Lord of the Rings"
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »

Gotta tell me why I should watch it.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »

Gotta tell me why I should watch it.

I just assume that any full movie on YouTube is going to be horrid. I don't even click on such links. And especially when someone just says "Watch this" with no further comment on what it is or why they think I'd enjoy it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
I'm more optimistic about Amazon's "Wheel of Time" then Amazon's "Lord of the Rings"
wait what? For real.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 03:10:38 AM »
For reals :) https://screenrant.com/dark-tower-wheel-time-tv-series-amazon/

There aren't really any news leaking out, though, but I hope it's because they take their time to get a good story, good pre-production, casting, etc.
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 03:41:47 AM »
I am not holding my breath.

Though, a wandering undercover Aragorn does not sound THAT bad even though he isn't exactly the most exciting character (of all the hobbits, wizards, elves, dwarves, orcs, they had to chose the one brooding, serious, brown-haired stubbly white male with a destiny of greatness and a royal heritage?). The travels to the East and South, if included, could finally counteract the racism of the original text, which would be great.

Quote from: Appendix A
Then Aragorn took leave lovingly of Elrond; and the next day he said farewell to his mother, and to the house of Elrond, and to Arwen, and he went out into the wild. For nearly thirty years he laboured in the cause against Sauron; and he became a friend of Gandalf the Wise, from whom he gained much wisdom. With him he made many perilous journeys, but as the years wore on he went more often alone. His ways were hard and long, and he became somewhat grim to look upon, unless he chanced to smile; and yet he seemed to Men worthy of honour, as a king that is in exile, when he did not hide his true shape. For he went in many guises, and won renown under many names. He rode in the host of the Rohirrim, and fought for the Lord of Gondor by land and by sea; and then in the hour of victory he passed out of the knowledge of Men of the West, and went alone far into the East and deep into the South, exploring the hearts of Men, both evil and good, and uncovering the plots and devices of the servants of Sauron.

That being said, they can only pull it off with an art direction and effort that is comparable to the original movie trilogy, and similarly brilliant casting choices.

So many chances of complete failure...