Author Topic: Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation  (Read 1636 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Amazon’s Tolkien Adaptation
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 07:49:16 AM »
I just assume that any full movie on YouTube is going to be horrid. I don't even click on such links. And especially when someone just says "Watch this" with no further comment on what it is or why they think I'd enjoy it.

IMDB rates is as at least decent
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1301303/

It also won the 2010 award for the Best Micro-Budget Feature from  the London Independent Film Festival.
http://www.londonindependent.org/winners2010.htm

I thought it was not bad myself.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »
Barrow wights are going to be running around gayly.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 11:14:09 PM »
I have complicated feelings about this (and about the Hobbit films: the reason why they don't work - and they really don't work in the end - is NOT "filler material" artificially stretching it out to a trilogy.  in short, the LotR films suffered the most when they strayed the farthest from the source material, where the Hobbit films suffered the most when they stuck too close to the source material).

There are lots of places where they could tell amazing stories just from the 4 books and appendices. 

If you look at the calendar and the text, you will find that a) Bilbo and Aragorn are long-time BFFs, and b) young AragornEstel was 10 years old living in Rivendell when Thorin and company passed through on their way to Erebor.  I would looooove to see Bilbo and the boy having a lovely time together while the Elves pranced and the Dwarves muttered into their beards.

There is also a non-zerp chance other material will become available.  Christopher Tolkien has this year retired from managing the estate, and "over his dead body" can't be too far away as he's north of 90 years old these days.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
How does copyright and "death + 70 years" work out for works published after the author died?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
It's not when they're published, it's when they're copyrighted.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
5 seasons seems like a lot to start with. I mean, I guess I'm glad they are thinking that far ahead story wise, but that is a lot. I'll give it a shot once it's out but don't have high expectations.

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
How does copyright and "death + 70 years" work out for works published after the author died?

Silmarillion was first published in the 80s.  I'm not certain about author vs. editor for this sort of thing, but I believe the copyright holder of note might be Christopher for that one.

(It also varies by country/region.)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »
5 seasons seems like a lot to start with. I mean, I guess I'm glad they are thinking that far ahead story wise, but that is a lot. I'll give it a shot once it's out but don't have high expectations.

So Amazon is contractually committed to five seasons. But what if the thing bombs after it's first or second season? Well, the definition of "season" has become pretty darn squishy in recent years. A season can be anything from 22 episodes to 13 to 10 to even less. Heck, Black Mirror had a season of only three episodes. I can imagine if the show tanks, and tanks hard, the last few seasons will only consists of two or three episodes just to wrap things up and fulfill that contractual obligation.

While I love the LOTR books and have read the trilogy twice, I still consider myself a casual fan. I haven't read the Silmarillion  or any of the dozen sequels, prequels, appendices, nor can I speak or write Elvish  :). Still, I loved the Jackson films and thought they were the best adaptions we could have ever hoped for. However, I always expected someone would do another adaption someday. I just didn't think it would be this soon! I thought it would be at least thirty years or so. I'm pessimistic about this series, but would love o be proved wrong.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:14:49 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
I'm more optimistic about Amazon's "Wheel of Time" then Amazon's "Lord of the Rings"

I had no idea this was a thing, thanks for cluing me in.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
I don't care how long the seasons are just so long as they don't force it. I'd rather have a six epi season that has a complete story arc than a ten season that weighs way too much.

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm part of a fanfic project of adapting the Silmarillion as a TV series.  We've got completed scripts for two full seasons so far, and have finished outlining and are almost done scripting the third.  The third season ends with the rising of the Sun.  We're doing 13 episode seasons, and have done dozens of podcasts and hundreds of hours of google hangout/youtube meetings.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »

The public gets fucked by another monopoly.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm part of a fanfic project of adapting the Silmarillion as a TV series.  We've got completed scripts for two full seasons so far, and have finished outlining and are almost done scripting the third.  The third season ends with the rising of the Sun.  We're doing 13 episode seasons, and have done dozens of podcasts and hundreds of hours of google hangout/youtube meetings.

Is this the Tolkien Professir’s “Silmarillion Project”?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 05:08:22 PM »

Is this the Tolkien Professir’s “Silmarillion Project”?

Yeah, SilmFilm.  It's pretty fun.  The Noldor were, largely, assholes.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »

The public gets fucked by another monopoly.
Ownership of intellectual property is pretty much the same as other property.

personate-rain
personate-rain