Author Topic: The Pew Research Center Religious typology quiz  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
The Pew Research Center Religious typology quiz
« on: September 02, 2018, 06:32:10 AM »
Religious typology quiz

This was a fun little quiz. Unsurprisingly, I ended up in the "solidly secular" category, the least religious groups of the seven groups identified. This group makes up reportedly 17% of the American population. Though when looking at the stats for this group, it does include a lot of believers of sorts, it seems.

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: The Pew Research Center Religious typology quiz
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »
Solidly secular here. No surprise there. But 16 questions to sort people into 7 categories? Hmmm. Not much more than a game, I'd say. I'm guessing most SGU forum members will be solidly secular.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
I’m curious as to why some of the questions seemed to have answers preselected.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
I was wondering if the question on how much fulfillment I get from being outdoors might change my position (I get a lot)  but does not seem to have effected me - stayed Solidly Secular.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline CookieMustard

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
Solidly secular here. No surprise there. But 16 questions to sort people into 7 categories? Hmmm. Not much more than a game, I'd say. I'm guessing most SGU forum members will be solidly secular.

There are 6 possible answersto the first question, 2 for the second, etc. So if you compute the product
6 x 2 x 4 etc you get approximately 18 million. So, in principle, the questions can distinguish between 18 million categories.
Usually when I answer an online poll or survey I just make up answers (that is, I lie). In this case I claimed to go to church several times per week, but got no comfort from my beliefs, I didn't believe in heaven but I did believe in hell, etc. I ended up as "spiritually awake". Which is half right.

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »
I was wondering if the question on how much fulfillment I get from being outdoors might change my position (I get a lot)  but does not seem to have effected me - stayed Solidly Secular.

Maybe getting fulfillment from being outdoors (I do also) is actually an indicator of secularism. A proper Bible thumper gets no fulfillment from anything but church, prayer, and the Bible.

I think the apparent pre-selection might just be where the cursor happens to be. Just a guess.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »

Maybe getting fulfillment from being outdoors (I do also) is actually an indicator of secularism. A proper Bible thumper gets no fulfillment from anything but church, prayer, and the Bible.

I think the apparent pre-selection might just be where the cursor happens to be. Just a guess.

From talks about the test, you can get some results than make you effective a "Woo." I thought that might throw me into one of those but it looks like not.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 04:47:57 PM »
I got placed into the "solidly secular" category but I just think there are some vectors missing here. I have a lot of association with people who would self-identify as "religious" but reject literalism, and focus instead on human rights and international poverty issues, and use their "God language" in expressing their views.

Religious expression embedded deeply in our language and culture, and cannot be escaped as easily as you might think. Especially if you are interested in classical literature, classical architecture, classical art/music, or modern civil rights it is difficult to escape the "God language" as a critical mode of expression. It is one thing to appreciate the role of "religious myth" and another to believe it as historical fact, and yet another to reject that entire side of culture.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:32:32 PM »
There were some options preselected on my iPad, so mouse position wasn't the problem. Likely sloppy coding and QA with a default parameter set and forgotten.

I went through twice, changing answers to the 'how religious' and 'how spiritual' questions from no effect to massive effect. No change in my score.

I suspect that the assignment to categories is not based on a lot of actual evidence. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »
"Solidly Secular" here, too.

They messed up on some of the early questions, asking about my religion and my faith before establishing whether or not I had a religion or a faith to speak of.

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
The Solidly Secular are the least religious among the seven groups. These relatively affluent, highly educated U.S. adults – mostly white and male – tend to describe themselves as neither religious nor spiritual and to reject all New Age beliefs as well as belief in the God of the Bible. In fact, many do not believe in a higher power at all. The Solidly Secular are generally liberal and Democratic in their political views. (For descriptions of the other typology groups, click the tabs above. To see how all seven typology groups compare to each other, click here.)

Conclusion : white / male must be the most intelligent phenotype of the human specie. They are so highly educated and espouse awesome ideologies of liberalism and democracy, making other ethnic minorities look bad.

Lol sorry, I am being a little sarcastic, that is obviously and necessarily not the logical conclusion of that poll. I (and others like me) just felt frustratingly left out lashing out a little bit. That description almost sounded like being a secular black individual is an outlier in defiance of the status quo. Reminded me of a time where I shocked a fellow sgu listener with my skepticism as if this is not a natural state to be in as an ethnic minority. Oh well, sorry for this nonsensical whining.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
I’m curious as to why some of the questions seemed to have answers preselected.
Mine were not.  Also, solidly secular.  I'd bet the majority of us fall into that camp with a few slightly less secular types.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
Solidly secular...aka skeptacular.

One surprising result IMHO at the end for the general public...

Are you currently active in church groups or other religious or spiritual organizations, or not?
General public 80% not active.

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
Same - solidly secular. I appreciate the beauty and being in nature but I don’t take it in a twinkle-ding-dong way.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »
Solidly secular...aka skeptacular.

Unfortunately most non-believers are not skeptics.