Author Topic: The Pew Research Center Religious typology quiz  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
Re: The Pew Research Center Religious typology quiz
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
Solidly secular...aka skeptacular.

One surprising result IMHO at the end for the general public...

Are you currently active in church groups or other religious or spiritual organizations, or not?
General public 80% not active.

Why surprising? That seems about right. (It would be much higher in Australia 90%+) While people claim to be religious, very few actually go to a place of worship.

No-one in my circle of friends/family/work colleagues ever go to church.

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »

Are you currently active in church groups or other religious or spiritual organizations, or not?

Why surprising? That seems about right. (It would be much higher in Australia 90%+) While people claim to be religious, very few actually go to a place of worship.

I think you might be misinterpreting the question. I understood it to be asking about activity in church organizations apart from mere attendance (things like bake sales, bible school, care for the elderly, ...).
I thought the percentage of Americans who claim to attend church regularly was something like 35-45%.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 11:30:29 AM »

Are you sure about the numbers? According to Wikipedia, 32% of Australians view religion as important in their lives. If you live in an urban area, these could be more secular than rural areas. Or the country could have its own version of a Bible Belt. We have that, and I know Norway has as well.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
Last December I was in ICU at (St. John's)* Mercy Hospital with the flu and double pneumonia. I had been there two days when a chaplain showed up.

"I see you marked 'none' for your religious preference, is there no spiritual source  you call on?" I guess he looked at my face because he literally ran out of the room.

I think that puts me into the "satanically secular" group.  >:D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »

Are you sure about the numbers? According to Wikipedia, 32% of Australians view religion as important in their lives. If you live in an urban area, these could be more secular than rural areas. Or the country could have its own version of a Bible Belt. We have that, and I know Norway has as well.

That 32% may think it is important for special family events like weddings, funerals and christenings but it is not reflected in church attendance. In my State, which is about 40% rural, the 2 biggest religions (Catholic 80,000 and Anglican 104,000) claim attendance figures of under 10,000 people a week (combined) in a State of 500,000 people.

Both are selling off churches that have low attendance and moving their followers to another church.

One survey I found was that 1.8 millions Australians attend church each week. That is about 7% of our 25 million population.
https://mccrindle.com.au/insights/blogarchive/church-attendance-in-australia-infographic/

and like any self reporting survey, is probably over representing actual attendance.

personate-rain