Author Topic: Five months without my computer?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Five months without my computer?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »
All he wants to do is use a full web browser, and occasionally word processor and spreadsheet. That’s not something that requires blazing fast speed...nor would he have to learn a whole new operating system...it’s essentially just a web browser.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 11:31:00 AM »
I suggest a cheap Chromebook, as its all you’ll need to do what you describe.  Get an Intel-based one and you will be able to run Electron-based Linux apps. Acer has a 14” Chromebook with a 1080p display, 4GB RAM and 32 GB storage.  It has HDMI and two USB ports so you can attach a keyboard, mouse and external display/HDTV if you want. You can get it on Amazon for about $250.

I have had very bad luck with chromebooks, I find them to be slow and frustrating. Others may have a different experience. Its basically just an android tablet with an attached keyboard that does not work as well.

Someone with Ipad/Iphone experience my find android to be frustrating which is also why I spoke out against one.

Daniel it certainly cant hurt to go to your local electronics store and play with one for a while to see what you think. 

I still recommending MINT for a windows alternative.

The Latinist, I just recommended that one to a friend who has essentially the same needs as Daniel. She doesn't like a separate keyboard because reasons.

Captain Video, in my experience using a Chromebook was not like Android on a phone or a tablet. I found that quite frustrating a few years TBH, because android could do a lot more at the time. (iPads are still the best tablets overall IMO, still edging out the MS Surface Pro.)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
The Latinist, I just recommended that one to a friend who has essentially the same needs as Daniel. She doesn't like a separate keyboard because reasons.

I just recommended it to my brother-in-law, who was looking for something to compose longer E-mails on and do some word processing while traveling for work. He had decided on a Chromebook, and asked me to help him find a good value.

I may buy the same one for my second grader for use on school work. She's increasingly being asked to do research and practice math skills online.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell