Author Topic: Episode #687  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #687
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
Live from DragonCon
SGU Book Update
News Items: CRISPR Halts Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Nudging Asteroids into Earth Orbit, Illusory Control, Evidence of Previous Universes, Shatner on VR, Seeing Only Movement
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
Re: Episode #687
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »
But but CRISPR is not natural!!!! Going against mother nature aaaargh human GMOs cause cancer. OMG mercury vaccine LOL.

I can only imagine how bad some members of the public will resist that one. This little preview is giving me nightmares.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 03:37:09 PM »
Did anyone really try to order a signed copy from Czechoslovakia? That country ceased to exist almost three decades ago.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
I tried to listen to it this morning. Unfortunately despite the comment the backup sound recording was still fine and much post production was done to improve the sound quality, I had to turn it off as making out the spoken words was too difficult and headache inducing.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »
I tried listening again yesterday thinking perhaps it was just me or it was a bad time to listen.

Nope, it wasn't that. I just could not make out what people were saying (I'd get perhaps every second word), and it was impossible to work out what was said when two or more made noises at same time or talked at once or there were any background/crowd noises.

It's not a complaint, just my observation/experience. I'll pass on this one and wait for next week's episode.  :)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
I listened all the way through. It was very difficult and I missed a lot, but I was able to hear a good deal of it. Well, these things happen, and they have a better record than most.

ETA: I've never been a terribly big fan of the live shows anyway.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:49:38 PM by daniel1948 »
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 02:56:58 AM »
I guess I'll have to skip this one too, unless Steve's able to do more about the recording when he's at home. But I can see it being much more difficult to make adjustments when you don't have each person being recorded in a separate room.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
I guess I'll have to skip this one too, unless Steve's able to do more about the recording when he's at home. But I can see it being much more difficult to make adjustments when you don't have each person being recorded in a separate room.

I listened to it while I was out on a hike.  While I can't say it was ideal, it was listenable.  I only had a couple of times where I missed something.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 02:39:37 PM »
I typically listen on the way to work on Monday. I couldn't make out much. I figured anything that was followed by audience laughter probably wasn't worth hearing anyway. Cara seemed particularly hard to understand.

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
It's funny how often the rogues bemoaned the cyclical universe as it not including QM when to my reading QM is at the heart of it. From what I've read QM says a 0 entropy system is unstable and will collapse. All he's saying is infinite entropy is not very different from 0 entropy.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline Albert Hall

• Off to a Start
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:14:46 PM »
The treatment of canine and murine muscular dystrophy by CRISPR/Cas9 is very exciting news indeed as Steve described. Not to nitpick, but the technique used in these examples does not insert new dystrophin into the muscle cells. Instead, it removes a coding exon (one that carries a mutation resulting in a stop codon that leads to a shortened protein) allowing production now of a slightly shorter but still functional dystrophin.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being
run by smart people who are putting us on,
or by imbeciles who really mean it.
- Mark Twain

personate-rain