Author Topic: Trending suspect for Atlantis, The Richat structure in Mauritania  (Read 1726 times)

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
Trending suspect for Atlantis, The Richat structure in Mauritania
« on: September 09, 2018, 12:27:50 AM »
Ever heard of this thing? 

Apparently it's  natural geological phenomena in Mauritania several hundred miles inland, consisting of concentric rings, but it could have been wet around 10k years ago.   The dimensions of the rings line up pretty closely with Plato's description of Atlantis, and even if it's a natural structure, it could still have been the site of the city with it's natural moats.  There's some viral videos and news articles going around now which highlight all the reasons why it COULD be Atlantis.  But I'm guessing any serious investigation would bring up the lack of any artifacts as a sign that there was never a city there, immediately ruining everyone's fun.

Certainly from a visual standpoint it's the most compelling candidate, but I think other sites like Santorini have a stronger archaeological case.  I'm not saying I think Atlantis was ever a real thing, but there could have been real places which inspired the legend.
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Trending suspect for Atlantis, The Richat structure in Mauritania
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 01:27:08 AM »
I have never heard of any archaeological record of any settlement on the Richat Structure.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:53:36 AM »
I have never heard of any archaeological record of any settlement on the Richat Structure.

you need to be less encumbered by facts and let your imagination take over.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:32:12 AM »

you need to be less encumbered by facts and let your imagination take over.
"I'm never going to get through reality, so fantasy has to wait its turn."
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »
Plato never claimed that Atlantis was a real place. It was a fictional city-state he invented in order to describe his vision of perfect government. The very fact that it was supposed to be perfect is a pretty big clue that it was a fictional construct, not a real place.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Plato never claimed that Atlantis was a real place. It was a fictional city-state he invented in order to describe his vision of perfect government. The very fact that it was supposed to be perfect is a pretty big clue that it was a fictional construct, not a real place.

Are you sure about that? Because I heard that before and assumed it to be true, and although I haven't read Plato nor done any research,  lately I have heard that when speaking of Atlantis he is quoting from Solon who claims to have visited Egypt and found ancient records of Atlantis and it is from thence that all his writings thereon are based.  Are you sure that the whole "Atlantis is just an allegory" thing isn't just an assumption based on our lack of evidence for its existence,

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
Several times a year somebody claims to have discovered Atlantis.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 02:47:29 PM »

Are you sure about that? Because I heard that before and assumed it to be true, and although I haven't read Plato nor done any research,  lately I have heard that when speaking of Atlantis he is quoting from Solon who claims to have visited Egypt and found ancient records of Atlantis and it is from thence that all his writings thereon are based.  Are you sure that the whole "Atlantis is just an allegory" thing isn't just an assumption based on our lack of evidence for its existence,

We can be sure about it.

Plato does indeed refer to Solon, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he is just not making it all up. The Dialogues are not in any way a historical work and they were written over 200 years after the death of Solon.

Furthermore, there is no reference to anything like Atlantis from anywhere or anyone before Plato, and he remains the only source to this day.

If would be almost impossible for a major civilisation to exist in the Mediterranean region without leaving any trace whatsoever beyond some hearsay quoted in a philosophical text.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 04:51:59 PM »

I'm not sure, only because I recognize that memory is fallible. But I base this on my memory of reading Plato in school. Plato wanted to promulgate his view of a utopian state, so he set his fiction in a made-up place that he called Atlantis. It's value is in showing us what Plato thought an ideal state should look like.

Just off the coast of Bimini Island, in some 15 or 20 feet of water, are some huge concrete blocks. The place is sometimes called Bimini Road because of a very superficial resemblance to a short stretch of highway. It's a very nice place for snorkeling because it's shallow enough that you don't need to be able to dive down to enjoy it. The bat-shit-crazy wackaloon woo-woo crowd on Bimini will tell you that Bimini Road is the lost Continent of Atlantis, risen again. In the Caribbean, for fuck's sake! There is absolutely nothing there to suggest that it's anything but some huge concrete blocks.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »

We can be sure about it.

Plato does indeed refer to Solon, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he is just not making it all up. The Dialogues are not in any way a historical work and they were written over 200 years after the death of Solon.

Furthermore, there is no reference to anything like Atlantis from anywhere or anyone before Plato, and he remains the only source to this day.

If would be almost impossible for a major civilisation to exist in the Mediterranean region without leaving any trace whatsoever beyond some hearsay quoted in a philosophical text.

That strongly suggests it never existed, but doesn't mean he intended it as an allegory, he might have genuinely believed Solon's story.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »

We can be sure about it.

That strongly suggests it never existed, but doesn't mean he intended it as an allegory, he might have genuinely believed Solon's story.

From the context of the Dialogues,it is clear that it is an allegory. It is basically about how great Athens is, in contrast to the corrupted, bad Atlantis that was destroyed by the gods.

Also, there is no Solon's story, We have a made-up character, Timaeus, recounting a story that Solon supposedly heard in Egypt. We have no reason to think that Solon ever heard anything about Atlantis, and we have no sources apart from this work of fiction.

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 03:12:36 AM »
it might have been helpful if Plato stated outright that it was an allegory, instead of inventing a pseudo history for the island.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »
Plato also tells, with equally claims to historicity, a story explaining romantic love as the result of human beings once having been four-legged, four-armed, two-faced beings sharing a single soul who were split in half by Zeus and therefore condemned to spend our lives searching for our soul-mates.  This is also the explanation for homosexuality, incidentally.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »
The more I hear, the more I'm convinced he just had wacky beliefs and they weren't allegories at all.  We might be giving too much credit.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
I believe that Rai has it pretty much correct.  As I recall, it was meant as an allegory explaining why Plato's notions of a good government were great because Athens had been close to perfect and beat the evil corrupt Atlanteans who couldn't be beat by anyone else.  As I understand it, nobody really thought otherwise until the early modern era.