Author Topic: ''Time stopped for 12 seconds...biggest matrix glitch ever'' - Thoughts?  (Read 850 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
I have it on the indisputable authority of the Loch Ness Monster, who materialized in my living room last night to personally tell me so, that those people on Reddit lied. Time did not stop. They never saw birds stop. They just made it all up because they are wanna-be sci-fi writers and were trying out a story line.

Seriously, who would believe a random post on the internet??? And as SnarlPatrick pointed out, if time actually stopped, those people's brains would stop also, and they'd notice nothing at all. If they had video cameras running, the cameras would stop if time stopped, and the cameras would capture nothing.

The story is false because it is internally inconsistent.

It is possible, however, that what somebody is reporting is a dream he thinks was real. I have awakened from a dream and it took me a few minutes to figure out that what happened in the dream didn't really happen. But my best guess is that it wasn't a dream or a glitch in their memory: It was just a lie or a joke.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
as SnarlPatrick pointed out, if time actually stopped, those people's brains would stop also, and they'd notice nothing at all. If they had video cameras running, the cameras would stop if time stopped, and the cameras would capture nothing.

Most telling, *light itself* would have stopped. The kids wouldn't have been able to see anything because no photons from the things around them could have traveled to their eyes.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
And of course, How can time stop for 12 seconds? Because if time stopped those 12 seconds would not have happened.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
And of course, How can time stop for 12 seconds? Because if time stopped those 12 seconds would not have happened.

Relative time could elapse if it were a localised phenomenon, but that would create paradoxes in time/location of objects and conservation of energy/momentum at the boundaries.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Shrooborb

• Not Enough Spare Time
I have it on the indisputable authority of the Loch Ness Monster, who materialized in my living room last night to personally tell me so, that those people on Reddit lied. Time did not stop. They never saw birds stop. They just made it all up because they are wanna-be sci-fi writers and were trying out a story line.

Seriously, who would believe a random post on the internet??? And as SnarlPatrick pointed out, if time actually stopped, those people's brains would stop also, and they'd notice nothing at all. If they had video cameras running, the cameras would stop if time stopped, and the cameras would capture nothing.

It is possible, however, that what somebody is reporting is a dream he thinks was real. I have awakened from a dream and it took me a few minutes to figure out that what happened in the dream didn't really happen. But my best guess is that it wasn't a dream or a glitch in their memory: It was just a lie or a joke.

The problem I have with the dream theory is wouldn't he of just asked his parents of it really happened, or his brother? Since his brother and his parents all experienced this time freeze at the exact same time.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling

The problem I have with the dream theory is wouldn't he of just asked his parents of it really happened, or his brother? Since his brother and his parents all experienced this time freeze at the exact same time.

Good point. That means it's an intentional lie rather than an honest misinterpretation of a dream memory. People do lie. Which is more likely: That time stopped except for a half a dozen people who reported it on Reddit, or that one person made up an internally-inconsistent story and posted it? He might not even have intended it as a deception: Maybe he just thought he was making a funny joke. There are actually some pretty cool videos on YouTube that are faked and include clues that they are jokes and not intended to be taken as real.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
The "time glitch" is when updates are downloaded. This will happen because the updates required so much processor power. This is normal.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
How did I miss another one of these threads...

The laws of physics don't go haywire. If they did, they wouldn't be laws of physics.

but how do we know the laws of physics are correct 100% of the time? For example for this game I'm programming there was that one time i hit the jump button and my character clipped through the floor even though it was against the law of the code i wrote (nothing in the programming said he should clip through the floor.)

Because that isn't physics. That is a physics engine, which is a simulation of physics. For example, in a physics engine, you can set restitution to greater than 1.0, meaning that kinetic energy is created whenever there is a collision, i.e. something could bounce off of a wall going faster than before it hit. Or you can set gravity to zero, or any other value.

So, you didn't actually test the bug enough to even find out if it could be reproduced?

Let me guess, The Matrix ate your homework?

personate-rain