Author Topic: What's wrong with those pizzas? (Images)  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: What's wrong with those pizzas? (Images)
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
How can bananas on a pizza be "gross"? ???
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »
How can bananas on a pizza be "gross"? ???

The only way:  subjectively.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
As a reference, here's an actual pizza:

Oh, I miss those.  Lucked into visiting Italy a couple times. Ate as many neapolitan style pizzas as I could.  And they were always like three or four euros!
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 03:52:11 PM »
My first experience with europizza was in Sicily. It was ... interesting. I was ... stoned.  It was ... gone.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 06:30:07 PM »
Tomato sauce. You can get away with barbequeue sauce, but tomato is the proper sauce for chips.

Always tomato sauce.  8) A chip sandwich is my favourite. Has to be large cut chips though, not the joke size chips that KFC or Mickey D's sell.

Mayo on chips is a crime against food  ;)

I call those thin-cut ones that you get from Maccas "fries" because I consider them to be American-style and Americans call them "fries". They're not proper chips.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »
Making Korean pizza

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »
How hard is it to not give a shit about this?  lol

Yeah, I like pineapples on a thing I call pizza. 

I also like not-pineapples on a different thing that I also call pizza.

Yeah, those bananas look super gross.  But there's lots of pizzas that are pretty gross and I don't dispute their use of the name.

When I was a kid I'd spread barbeque sauce on pita bread, put american cheese on top, and microwave it.  Pizza!

The full name for the things I like could be "pizza-inspired flatbread" or "pizza-inspired casserole" (hello Chicago!) or whatever.  But it's pretty dumb to insist on that full name when "pizza" is close enough.

Cool your jets, y'all.  Hahahahaha

Pizza is personal, I really only consider NY style to be real pizza, I barely pass Italian pies. 

I also don't consider the big three (Dominoes, Pizza hut, and Papa Johns) to be "pizza"  It has little to do with the toppings. Although as I pointed out earlier I will still eat it if put in front of me but I will never order it if "real pizza" is available. You cant make pizza with a conveyor belt, period. You are eating bread dough with sugar sauce and processed cheese.

Rather than say all pizza is not pizza which I admit would not be practical I believe some pizzas should have some protected status like wine or cheese before it is ruined permanently, I'm sure more than half the USA thinks dominoes is the norm when its not.  I'm even OK with some regional as long as it has a label ie "Chicago" pizza (but not st Louis, call that shit something else)
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »
Pizza is personal, I really only consider NY style to be real pizza

Buffalo NY specifically. ;-)

I'm from Buffalo and it's funny and a bit embarrassing how defensive they (well, we) can be. And especially with respect to New York City. For shits and giggles, check out this article from the Daily Beast.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-americas-pizza-capital-buffalo-new-york

In the Queen City's defense, you can get some really good, no-nonsense, New York pizza (though we insist it's Neapolitan so as not to give NYC any credit). In Buffalo (and I'm sure we're not unique), pizza can be like a religion. Everyone swears by the pizzeria in their own neighborhood and, at best, grudgingly admits that the joint a mile away is pretty good too. And the cognoscenti agree that the chains are crap. We tried Chicago-style when it was faddish in the 80's and haven't been since Bush left office (the first one).

Pizza in Buffalo as defined in the article:
It has to have cup-and-char pepperoni with grease in the center of each cup and blackening on the top along the rim. A hefty portion of cheese with good browning (some places make it super-dark). Buffalo-style is traditionally an overdone pie, and ordering ‘well-done’ on top of that is common. The sauce is rich, ladled generously, and a little sweet. It has a thick dough that fluffs up consistently to the edge of a crispy, buttery crust that’s typically charred and caked in excess with a super intense, oven-dried sauce.

Now for the funny part:
According to The Buffalo News, the number of pizzerias went from 62 in 1969 to 274 by 1989 to 360 in 1998. Keep in mind that over that period of time, according to the census, the population went from 462,768 to 292,819. Today? There are fewer people (256,902). But, at least according to Buffalo’s local tourism agency Visit Buffalo Niagara, at last count there were more than 600 pizzerias in Buffalo and its immediate surrounding urban area. That means if we’re conservative and say just 600, there’s at least one pizzeria for every 428 people in the Nickel City. Compare that to New York City, whose some estimated 1,600 pizzerias serve 8.538 million people. That’s right, New York City, which has 33 times the number of people as Buffalo, per capita, has less than four times the number of pizzerias. And you thought you loved pizza.

Buffalo baybee...we're talkin' proud! And making shit up as we go apparently. I haven't lived there in over 20 years, but I go back a lot and I know Buff pretty well. There is no way there are 600 pizza joints in Buffalo. I can mentally go down the major thoroughfares and count them in my head. And of course I have Google maps to assist my feeble memory. Even if you count all the lousy chains, even if you include the Niagara Peninsula in Canada, I doubt there are more than a hundred.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
Making Korean pizza

There's a Korean pizza kitchen in Urbana, Illinois, proving they are now ubiquitous.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
That Korean Pizza is a joke right? Like eating Tide Pods? That can't be real.

Being in the center of Illinois, I have a fondness for Chicago Style, and have been known to eat a St. Louis Style "pie" on occasion.

I will add a vote to the Pepperoni "cups" of fat on a cheese Pizza as one of the best things about a "regular" pie.  and throw down another vote for the traditional margherita pizza, from a brick oven, as the classic.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
Being in the center of Illinois, I have a fondness for Chicago Style, and have been known to eat a St. Louis Style "pie" on occasion.
There's pizza in Chestnut Illinois?

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
That Korean Pizza is a joke right? Like eating Tide Pods? That can't be real.
I'm scarred for life.

edit: By all the "pizzas" in this thread, I mean. But yes also specifically by that thing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:23:09 PM by random poet »
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »
That Korean Pizza is a joke right?
I don't know if THAT pizza was a realistic Korean pizza, but I have a friend who delivers Korean pizzas in Urbana. The college kids go for them, I hear.

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
There's pizza in Chestnut Illinois?

Yeah, but we have to immigrate the Italians from Farmington, ever since they built that wall over by Pekin ( to keep the rednecks out) it's been harder and harder to get good pizza here.

That Korean Pizza is a joke right?
I don't know if THAT pizza was a realistic Korean pizza, but I have a friend who delivers Korean pizzas in Urbana. The college kids go for them, I hear.

I don't think I've been to Urbana since they moved the HS state Basketball playoffs to Peoria, but next time I'm in town.....
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
Pizza is personal, I really only consider NY style to be real pizza

Buffalo NY specifically. ;-)

I'm from Buffalo and it's funny and a bit embarrassing how defensive they (well, we) can be. And especially with respect to New York City. For shits and giggles, check out this article from the Daily Beast.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-americas-pizza-capital-buffalo-new-york

In the Queen City's defense, you can get some really good, no-nonsense, New York pizza (though we insist it's Neapolitan so as not to give NYC any credit). In Buffalo (and I'm sure we're not unique), pizza can be like a religion. Everyone swears by the pizzeria in their own neighborhood and, at best, grudgingly admits that the joint a mile away is pretty good too. And the cognoscenti agree that the chains are crap. We tried Chicago-style when it was faddish in the 80's and haven't been since Bush left office (the first one).

Pizza in Buffalo as defined in the article:
It has to have cup-and-char pepperoni with grease in the center of each cup and blackening on the top along the rim. A hefty portion of cheese with good browning (some places make it super-dark). Buffalo-style is traditionally an overdone pie, and ordering ‘well-done’ on top of that is common. The sauce is rich, ladled generously, and a little sweet. It has a thick dough that fluffs up consistently to the edge of a crispy, buttery crust that’s typically charred and caked in excess with a super intense, oven-dried sauce.

Now for the funny part:
According to The Buffalo News, the number of pizzerias went from 62 in 1969 to 274 by 1989 to 360 in 1998. Keep in mind that over that period of time, according to the census, the population went from 462,768 to 292,819. Today? There are fewer people (256,902). But, at least according to Buffalo’s local tourism agency Visit Buffalo Niagara, at last count there were more than 600 pizzerias in Buffalo and its immediate surrounding urban area. That means if we’re conservative and say just 600, there’s at least one pizzeria for every 428 people in the Nickel City. Compare that to New York City, whose some estimated 1,600 pizzerias serve 8.538 million people. That’s right, New York City, which has 33 times the number of people as Buffalo, per capita, has less than four times the number of pizzerias. And you thought you loved pizza.

Buffalo baybee...we're talkin' proud! And making shit up as we go apparently. I haven't lived there in over 20 years, but I go back a lot and I know Buff pretty well. There is no way there are 600 pizza joints in Buffalo. I can mentally go down the major thoroughfares and count them in my head. And of course I have Google maps to assist my feeble memory. Even if you count all the lousy chains, even if you include the Niagara Peninsula in Canada, I doubt there are more than a hundred.

Off topic but most pizza shops seam to sell them now and it fits in with regional food. Buffalo wings, what do you call them in Buffalo? More and more I see them called "hot wings" here in Atlanta. Did you know they eat more of them here than there? I bet different regions have their own way of making these too and we could argue if they are "true buffalo wings" or not.  To me original would be Franks red hot, butter, pinch of cayenne pepper over fried non breaded wings.

Hooters breads theirs so is it still a buffalo wing?

I bet you cant get Lemon Pepper Wet,

Now everyone has them down here because of this scene from ATL but JR Crickets the originator still makes them the best, they changed the name to Lemon Pepper wet because of the scene but they have had them for years.  First they lemon pepper them then smoother them in original sauce.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress