Author Topic: What's wrong with those pizzas? (Images)  (Read 5162 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: What's wrong with those pizzas? (Images)
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
Sure, there is such a thing as a tart. But the distinction cannot be the top crust.

And yet:

Quote from: American Heritage Dictionary
tart
2 a. A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings.

Quote from: Merriam Webster's Dictionary
tart: a dish baked in a pastry shell : pie: such as
a : a small pie or pastry shell without a top containing jelly, custard, or fruit

Quote from: Wiktionary
tart (plural tarts)
A type of small open pie, or piece of pastry, containing jelly or conserve; a sort of fruit pie.

Quote from: Google Dictionary
tart: an open pastry case containing a filling.

Seeing a trend?  Whether you think it makes sense in light of the etymology or not, that's the (or at least a) common definition of tart in English.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
And yet there are things with no top crust that are still called pies.

The part about having "jelly, custard or fruit", or "jelly or conserve" is a much more credible avenue of examination.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
It really went off the rails when he cooked it in the microwave.

There was an Italian restaurant chain in Korea that cooked everything in microwaves. Still part of the parody. Trust me.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
That Korean Pizza is a joke right? Like eating Tide Pods? That can't be real.

It's parody but shockingly close to the truth.

Korean tacos are a thing, though. I must try it some day. Probably I could find all the necessary ingredients here and make it myself, but I'd still like to try the original in in the US. I'm not a very sophisticated cook.

And I am pleased that this more light-hearted thread of mine was able to provoke some discussion. :)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »
And yet there are things with no top crust that are still called pies.

The part about having "jelly, custard or fruit", or "jelly or conserve" is a much more credible avenue of examination.

I am not really talking about the definition of pie; I am challenging your assertion that 'tart' and 'pie' are synonymous.  If that were the case, then this would be a tart, as it most certainly is not.

For reference, this is an apple tart:

Other typical characteristics of tarts are relatively low and straight-sided shells.  They also tend to have a somewhat harder crust.  If I had to guess, deserts like key lime pie are so called because they are baked in a sloped-sided pie pan.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2018, 01:36:21 PM »
Semantic discussion of pies vs. tarts aside, I'll get back to pizza.  Captain Video's examples express my opinion pretty well.  Also, Chicago-style 'pizza' is a casserole, not a pizza.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
Semantic discussion of pies vs. tarts aside, I'll get back to pizza.  Captain Video's examples express my opinion pretty well.  Also, Chicago-style 'pizza' is a casserole, not a pizza.

I also question that deep dish is truly Chicago style.  That certainly exists as a touristy thing, but in listening to people from Chicago, their typical day to day pizza is thin crust.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2018, 02:20:17 PM »

I also question that deep dish is truly Chicago style.  That certainly exists as a touristy thing, but in listening to people from Chicago, their typical day to day pizza is thin crust.

Fair enough, though I'm pretty sure the guys from Cog Dis eat deep dish regularly.

Myself, I'm partial to New Haven-style pizza (or apizza):

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
I can't get on board with calling a pizza a "pie".
Then you are wrong.
Quote from: arthwollipot
It's not a pie.
Yes it is. When I go to a pizzaria and ask for a large cheese pie, I get a whole pizza. If I ask for a slice and a side of knots, I get a slice of pie and some knots.
A pie has height, and it has a pastry crust on top.
Some do do. Pizza is a type of pie that doesn't.
This is my opinion, of course -
An opinion not based on facts. 
Who are we going to believe, you or Sal? Or Tony G? or Big Vinnie? Or Paul?
GOOD DAY.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2018, 02:31:01 PM »
And I am pleased that this more light-hearted thread of mine was able to provoke some discussion. :)

I concur, the fact that we can take a side on *anything* and discuss it with humor and respect makes this a great place to hang out.

I couldn't eat "Chicago" Style on a regular pizza eating basis, but that photo looks delicious. I would eat that on a regular pizza eating basis.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »
That Korean Pizza is a joke right? Like eating Tide Pods? That can't be real.

It's parody but shockingly close to the truth.

Korean tacos are a thing, though. I must try it some day. Probably I could find all the necessary ingredients here and make it myself, but I'd still like to try the original in in the US. I'm not a very sophisticated cook.

Love them!  Its a perfect street food and makes sense as those two cultures came together in LA. They have moved to restaurants now and are mostly run by Koreans or at least the ones I visit are. 

We also have sushi burritos but there are no Mexican ingredients, Its just the size and shape of a big roll that looks like a burrito. Mostly served at Poke restaurants which are popping up like flies all over the city. 

I love the Poke but I know Hawaiians are not happy about it as its not like the Poke served there, much like my pizza argument you could probably say the new Poke places are not "real" Poke.  Yet another California created concoction but this time like the Korean Tacos its a home run.

In Hawaii its pre-made and marinaded with assorted ingredients.  These new places make it to order "subway" style where you pick what you want in it. Every chain or restaurant seems to do it differently so there is no standard. I like some more than others but even the worst places are excellent eating. I could never get tired of raw tuna with stuff on it LOL
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
Usage-wise in my part of the world,

1) All tarts are pies.

2) All pies are not tarts.

Tart is a sub-set of pie, not a non-intersecting set.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »
It is almost as if these words have some regional variations in use, along with ambiguities and exceptions. Weird how nature do that.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »
Usage-wise in my part of the world,

1) All tarts are pies.

2) All pies are not tarts.

Tart is a sub-set of pie, not a non-intersecting set.

To me, your second point appears to be saying that no tarts are pies, which directly contradicts your first point. Did you mean, "not all pies are tarts"?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
If you google "define pie" this is what comes up

pie1
pī/Submit
noun
a baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry.
synonyms:   pastry, tart, turnover
"the enticing aroma of fresh-baked pies"
US
a pizza
typically  ::)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain