Author Topic: What's wrong with those pizzas? (Images)  (Read 5279 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: What's wrong with those pizzas? (Images)
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2018, 06:13:10 PM »
And yet there are things with no top crust that are still called pies.

The part about having "jelly, custard or fruit", or "jelly or conserve" is a much more credible avenue of examination.

Some tarts are indeed called pies. Some pizzas are called pies. That doesn't mean that they actually are pies, just that they are called that.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
Are you going all Aristotle on us?
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »
I had a great pizza the other night with pepperoni, ground beef, chilli flakes and dried Aristotle. It was delicious!

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2018, 07:28:27 PM »
I had a great pizza the other night with pepperoni, ground beef, chilli flakes and dried Aristotle. It was delicious!

You haven't lived until you've had fresh Aristotle.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »

You haven't lived until you've had fresh Aristotle.

I used to grow it in my garden, but then it died.

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2018, 03:40:46 AM »
An actual, literal pizza pie would be something. I think I'll make one tomorrow.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »
An actual, literal pizza pie would be something. I think I'll make one tomorrow.
Salsiccia, please. 
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2018, 12:37:25 AM »
I found another Not-Pizza

Crab Rangoon Pizza.  Aside from that being fake crab I think I want to try this one. It looks good. Crab Rangoon is a guilty pleasure.

Which reminds me, I'm guilty of making "not-pizzas" at home, sometimes a use a Boboli shell, sometimes I purchase pre-made dough.  I use a pizza stone but I have never had an oven capable of providing enough heat to make a proper pizza.  I may invest in one of the Webber grill pizza oven covers. I have a real sauce recipe that uses "Full Red" sauce a common pizza restaurant base and its pretty comparable. I prefer a whole milk low moisture mozzarella but the Sargento brand I used to buy is getting harder to find in the stores.

I'm curious what you think of one of my specialties, it has a few variations.

Swiss Cheese Fondue Pizza

Easy version
Get a box of pre-made Swiss Cheese Fondue. Remove it from the package and stir well so that any wine that has separated gets folded back into the cheese.
Spread it over a pizza shell or dough, be careful not to put on too much, it will liquefy into a thick sauce when it bakes. Top with grated Swiss cheese (preferably Gruyère and/or Emmentaler but domestic will do if you are on a budget and If you have those expensive cheeses you mite as well make the hard version)
Sprinkle some fresh grated nutmeg on top and if using domestic cheese sprinkle a little salt and bake (add optional toppings if you like)

Harder Version

Make a true Swiss cheese fondue then follow the above instructions.

Grated Gruyère and/or Emmentaler cheese, 50/50 is good but I usually add more Gruyère (add a little flour to your fresh grated cheese and it wont clump together)
If you are on a budget you could still use domestic and it will be pretty good but better yet try to get a smaller piece of Gruyère and mix that in with the cheaper cheese.
Garlic
White wine
Kirsch (good luck finding this on a whim, you can omit it or substitute some brandy)
Nutmeg
salt and pepper

Melt all that together (plenty of instructions for making this properly online) but cook it a little longer than usual so that it thickens up a bit.

let it cool to a little warmer than room temperature before adding it to your pie tart Boboli shell or dough

Optional toppings
You could bake these with the dish or sprinkle them on cold after baking, I have tried both ways and cant decide which is better
Diced granny smith apples
or
Diced tomato

You could probably add several other things, prosciutto, maybe caramelized onions, but I prefer to use the above. My original had the apples but I subbed tomatoes one day since none were available and it worked so now I make it both ways. I think its best to choose something that complements the cheese without overpowering it.  Fresh grated nutmeg is important.

Does anyone else have any "Not-Pizza" recipes?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:39:58 AM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2018, 12:54:39 AM »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2018, 02:10:13 AM »
They sell fondue in pre-made boxes???

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2018, 02:41:08 AM »
They sell fondue in pre-made boxes???

There are several brands, most grocery stores here tend to only sell one brand, in the box there is a thick foil package, some are not refrigerated. The flavor is usually spot on but I'm sure its not all expensive cheese or it would cost more. between $7 and $9 US

https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Knight-Cheese-Fondue-14/dp/B000CD5RXU

its also good folded into an omelet but again you have to remember to mix the wine back in as it tends to separate.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2018, 02:57:47 AM »
Ugh.

Sorry, but... ugh.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2018, 07:24:29 AM »
"So, do you two ... fondue?" Captain America to Agent Carter.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline RGU

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
Here is a good theory
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/263732/where-does-pizza-pie-originate

It sounds like Americans called it pie because they didn't know what a Pizza was.
And then they were told, and American's being American's couldn't admit they were wrong so said...
"Yeah  yeah, that is what I said - A Pizza pie.. you know a pie for short" And yet they were still wrong :)

Just because American's call it a pie doesn't make it so.
Just like a Land Rover is not a Jeep just because everybody on that British-French show "Death in paradise" calls it a Jeep. A Jeep is a Jeep!

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
Here is a good theory
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/263732/where-does-pizza-pie-originate

It sounds like Americans called it pie because they didn't know what a Pizza was.
And then they were told, and American's being American's couldn't admit they were wrong so said...
"Yeah  yeah, that is what I said - A Pizza pie.. you know a pie for short" And yet they were still wrong :)

Just because American's call it a pie doesn't make it so.
Just like a Land Rover is not a Jeep just because everybody on that British-French show "Death in paradise" calls it a Jeep. A Jeep is a Jeep!

Most Americans don't necessarily call it pie, it is a regional thing--used by people in the most heavily Italian American cities by people who spoke both languages.  They sure as FUCK knew what it was.
You buy pizza by the slice or by the pie. Simple as that.
There's no such thing as denial.

personate-rain
personate-rain