Author Topic: I think the classic rock style band is finally dead.  (Read 184 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
I think the classic rock style band is finally dead.
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:51:30 PM »
first, I am not commenting on the quality of today's music, there are many fine artists out there right now.  This is just about style and what's popular.  And I think we can finally say the long death of the style of music pioneered by the Beatles and their contemporaries, where 3 or 4 guys write songs with a guitar, piano drums, vocal band setup with a hard edge sound, is pretty much gone.

I was googling for ideas about this and found this article.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bands-destined-for-classic-rock-greatness/
Now this is from 5 years ago..but still.  The title is modern bands destined for classic rock greatness and half the bands on the list had their hey day 15 to 20 years ago!  The foo fighters already get play on classic rock stations.

Then you look at the billboard "rock" charts and there is really not much on their, if any, that I would classify as rock.  (again not commenting on quality, just style).
https://www.billboard.com/charts/rock-songs
(holy crap the top three songs right now, I swear to zod I didn't even realize were different songs. believer, thunder and natural by imagine dragons)

I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: I think the classic rock style band is finally dead.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
Yes, music styles move on. You don't get much new music for traditional jazz big bands either (though you do get some). This is only a bad thing if you are too emotionally attached to a single style of music, in which case I'm absoutely sure you can find cover bands.
Self-described nerd

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
In my opinion I think its been dead since the late 70s early 80s

There has been good "rock" since then but I have trouble calling it "Classic Rock" and don't think we should classify music as "classic" just because its older, its not an antique, Foo Fighters is not classic rock. 1950s music is not classic rock. 

Late 60s through very early 80s and that's it.  Even some of those groups which gets classified that way are not really CR IMO.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:40:08 AM »

I think you can use the banner Classic Rock to describe a style of music under the banner of "Rock". For example you wouldn't categorize the Beatles and Metallica as the same music but you would call it all Rock Music.

I think classic rock has moved on and should move on as a younger (with different musical taste) group gets older and more dominant in the industry. Rap was a niche group at first now has its threads in all music styles out. I have always said that you forage your musical style in your teens and early 20s. You might change a little as you get older but you will always have that base there. I use to be a music snob when I was younger. Now I think music is in the ear of the beholder. If you like it and it makes you smile then go for it. Some of the music now a days is really bad, but a lot of it is really good.

Back on topic is Classic Rock Dead? No, it just isn't as dominant as it once was, but it will never disappear.   
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
One thing about classic rock is that the iconography had tremendous staying power.
I notice the same thing whenever I am in a Mall or school that is showcasing the artwork of Highschoolers.
Virtually ALL of the artwork devoted to music, or portraits of pop stars is the same rockstars  and bands that art was devoted to 30+ years ago.
John Lennon (& Beatles), Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan etc.
Every once in a while you'll see someone more contemporary, but most is devoted to acts that started 50 years ago--most who died or broke up 25+ year ago.

I think a huge part of it had to do with the enormous youth culture of the 60s-70s. They had disposable income and the record companies for the most part saw the easiest way to cash in was to give their acts unprecedented freedom in creative endeavors. Plus Broadcasters in the late 60s-early 70s didn't really know what to do with their FM radio stations, so gave them free reign as well. Freedom and creativity were prioritized.

it all started to implode once classic rock bands became more corporate and/or broke into splinter groups of subgenres (with fans demanding purity). At this point the record labels found better ways to control the product.
Now purity to a genre and financial success are prioritized.