Author Topic: Internet speed not so good  (Read 912 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Internet speed not so good
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »
I'm still averaging 900 mbps even during peek hours however I did have a 2 hour outage last night right in the middle of setting up my smart home which sorta sucked because I had to start over. 

Google fiber was supposed to be available by now but they have run into problems getting the fiber down, its a big fiber race in Atlanta right now, Comcast, AT&T, and Google. They are all behind mostly because of infrastructure and traffic complaints.  In another 2 years I'm guessing there will be some real competition.

Sorry you guys don't have better options yet.

It's a political problem, not a technological one. It was literally a key issue for the last election. The conservative Liberal Party won partly on the basis of a cheaper implementation of a national broadband network by using fiber to the node, then existing copper to the premises. Unfortunatly, the existing copper in many cases fucking sucks. But hey, at least it's cheaper. Except that it isn't.

With the money that's being spent, we are going to have the most expensive internet infrastructure (Dollar per average Mbps) in the world.
The whole thing is a rort. The company that got the contract is sub-contracting out to smaller companies that are sub-contracting it down to even smaller companies. No wonder it's got so expensive and taken so fucking long and we've ended up with not much better than what we had already.  >:(

It would be hard to imagine a bigger clusterfuck.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Internet speed not so good
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
Remember that the Internet (TCP/IP) uses best-effort transmission of packet routing. Meaning, packets get dropped all the time, and there's always a balancing act of trying to send data quickly, but not bothering to send packets faster than they can be received, which would be a waste. Also TCP is two-way, so although unlikely, any delay in sending ACK packets back to the server (UL) will delay the ramp-up in your DL speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_congestion_control#Slow_start

Also, while we're on the subject: