Author Topic: Internet speed not so good  (Read 617 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Internet speed not so good
« on: September 12, 2018, 11:43:27 PM »
I recieved my new Comcast Xfinity Gigabite internet today.  I did a quick speed test and told the guy it was not fast enough, he said it needed a firmware update that would happen within the hour which seemed reasonable but now I think he lies.

These are rough averages of speed tests I ran throughout the day with different providers. Most of them had optional servers and I measured several times on each all around my location in Ga

My PC is networked directly to the modem which they provided. There are no firmware updates or numbers on the modems interface that I can find. The Cat6 cable I was using was hand made and shielded which is not the fastest so just in case I switched to a store made Cat 5 with no differences in speeds.

Speed test by Ookla 280 mbps down 40 mbps up

google fiber 280 mbps down 30 mbps up

speedof.me 60 mbps down  40 mbps up

Xfinity 450-550 mbps down 35 mbps up (one server got me to 600 once and that server averages 550 the rest are in the 450 range)

none of them close to 1gb, something is wrong here, I called Comcast and they are sending someone out in the morning but I am guessing there is nothing actually wrong and they just cant give me the speed I paid for in this area, any thoughts?

Is it odd that Comcast reports so much higher speeds for their own service than the others do?

Whats up with speed of me? that one worked differently than the others and gave low numbers

Just to cover all avenues ill switch PCs and try some different browsers

Any ideas or even comments on how GB internet works with Cable would be much appreciated

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Internet speed not so good
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »
Remind me to run a speedtest on my home system, not to show you how good you've got it, but to show me (again) how bad we've got it. 280mbps download looks like an unattainable luxury to me. I dream of speeds like that.
Self-described nerd

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 12:03:11 AM »
Ok I solved my own problem by following through with my post, it was the damn Chrome Browser, WTF

I installed Fire fox and the numbers shot way up

Speedtest: 887 - 946

Xfinity 860 - 1200 

google fiber 267- 361  ???

speedofme 59.21  ???

I'm stunned, what is up with chrome?

I guess I will cancel the service appointment and praise Comcast   

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »
That you’re getting nearly twice the speed from Comcast's servers suggests to me that at least some of the issue is backhaul rather than the connection between you and Comcast.  Remember that your connection will only be as fast as the slowest link.

Remember too that with cable modems, unlike fiber or even DSL, you’re sharing the backhaul bandwidth with everyone in your network node.  You therefore will definitely see dips in speed at busy times.  That said, I generally get near my full advertised bandwidth from cablevision/Optimum.  I just tested my 200/35 connection at 210/36.8.  At busier times I sometimes get ~150/35.

I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »
It's now 0630 on a Friday morning. I just ran Speedtest by Ookla. I got a zoomy 7.07mbps upload and 0.82mbps download. And that's on naked ADSL.

Yeah, broadband in Australia sucks balls. Enjoy what you've got.
Self-described nerd

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:52:33 PM »
It's now 0630 on a Friday morning. I just ran Speedtest by Ookla. I got a zoomy 7.07mbps upload and 0.82mbps download. And that's on naked ADSL.

Is it possible your up down is the other way around?

Did you use a browser other than chrome? I get 5x the speed on other browsers and I still cant get over it. I love chrome and its hard for me to switch but I'm doing it for the speed.

I also pay around $120 per month for my gig connection (internet only, no cable TV) and have a 2 year contract. How much is yours?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »
I also pay around $120 per month for my gig connection (internet only, no cable TV) and have a 2 year contract. How much is yours?

Tax included, I pay about $79/mo for 200/35.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 05:58:36 PM »

Did you use a browser other than chrome? I get 5x the speed on other browsers and I still cant get over it. I love chrome and its hard for me to switch but I'm doing it for the speed.

I used Safari. Nothing else was running at the time. Australian internet is just like that.
Self-described nerd

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 07:29:19 PM »

I used Safari. Nothing else was running at the time. Australian internet is just like that.

But are you sure your upload is 8 times faster than your download?  That seems backward; download almost always exceeds upload for DSL.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »

But are you sure your upload is 8 times faster than your download?  That seems backward; download almost always exceeds upload for DSL.

Of course. I got those backwards. I honestly only just noticed. I blame the early morning when I posted it.
Self-described nerd

Online Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 10:25:29 PM »
Gigabit speeds!

That will never happen for me. I'm on fixed wireless broadband and it's rated up to 40mbps download, and I usually get from 20-40mbps. Up I typically get from 3-8mbps.

There is supposed to be technology that could push that to 100mbps but the local telco have decided against installing that for the time being. It transmits via radio signals from a local tower and I have an directional antenna on the roof, like this one:

At least I'm not on satellite service like my brother. Download speed is barely OK but the latency is awful and upload is atrocious.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 03:10:43 AM »
1.65 Mbps down. 0.77 Mbps up. ATM. I win for having the worst internet  :( Yay  ???

It will get up to a whopping 5 down & about 2 up during slow periods.

I am supposed to get NBN later this month. Though fibre hasn't been laid yet. 40 Mbps down has been promised. I'll be happy with 20 Mbps

We are definitely a third world country as far as the internet goes.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »
I'm still averaging 900 mbps even during peek hours however I did have a 2 hour outage last night right in the middle of setting up my smart home which sorta sucked because I had to start over. 

Google fiber was supposed to be available by now but they have run into problems getting the fiber down, its a big fiber race in Atlanta right now, Comcast, AT&T, and Google. They are all behind mostly because of infrastructure and traffic complaints.  In another 2 years I'm guessing there will be some real competition.

Sorry you guys don't have better options yet.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 08:44:10 PM »
I'm still averaging 900 mbps even during peek hours however I did have a 2 hour outage last night right in the middle of setting up my smart home which sorta sucked because I had to start over. 

Google fiber was supposed to be available by now but they have run into problems getting the fiber down, its a big fiber race in Atlanta right now, Comcast, AT&T, and Google. They are all behind mostly because of infrastructure and traffic complaints.  In another 2 years I'm guessing there will be some real competition.

It's a political problem, not a technological one. It was literally a key issue for the last election. The conservative Liberal Party won partly on the basis of a cheaper implementation of a national broadband network by using fiber to the node, then existing copper to the premises. Unfortunatly, the existing copper in many cases fucking sucks. But hey, at least it's cheaper. Except that it isn't.
Self-described nerd

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »

It's a political problem, not a technological one. It was literally a key issue for the last election. The conservative Liberal Party won partly on the basis of a cheaper implementation of a national broadband network by using fiber to the node, then existing copper to the premises. Unfortunatly, the existing copper in many cases fucking sucks. But hey, at least it's cheaper. Except that it isn't.

With the money that's being spent, we are going to have the most expensive internet infrastructure (Dollar per average Mbps) in the world.
The whole thing is a rort. The company that got the contract is sub-contracting out to smaller companies that are sub-contracting it down to even smaller companies. No wonder it's got so expensive and taken so fucking long and we've ended up with not much better than what we had already.  >:(

personate-rain