Author Topic: Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?  (Read 477 times)

Offline Gnostic Christian Bishop

• Not Enough Spare Time
Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?
« on: September 14, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?

Adam thought so. He instantly and without argument or hesitation ate of that knowledge when Eve offered love to Adam.

Without Satan causing Original Sin, mankind could no know of love or hate as love and hate are subject to being good or evil.

Would you do as Adam did?

Was Satan right in opening our eyes to love and hate?

Should we venerate Satan more than Yahweh who tried to deny mankind love?

Regards
DL

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
I don't know if I agree. I think that an infant probably feels the sensation of agape love but does not have a concept of good and evil.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:35:50 PM »
That's a good question.  Mu gut response is that it is better to know things than to not know them, but giving that more thought I'm not so sure.  I think the question is too complex to answer without a deep dive.  For example, would humankind have developed into a civilization without such knowledge, or would be still be back in the stone age?  Would it be better to be back in the stone age?

Bah, I still think it is better to know than not to know.  Think of it like this.  There's a level of happiness where you are ignorant of things, and there's a level of happiness where you know more but have overcome that knowledge to be happy again.  I would rather strive for that upper level of happiness, even though it is difficult, because it is more real than the lower level of happiness.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:00:13 PM »
Hell yeah! HAIL SATAN

**metal guitar riff**

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
Satan gave man love? How do you grok that?

The Bible says he bid Eve to eat from the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil," not the "Tree of Love."

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
If all this was real how could you not do what Adam (or Eve) did? the game was rigged. 
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »
Should we worship our parents, or simply be nice to them if they've been and are being nice to us?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »
From the context it's pretty clear to me that the knowledge God's worried about keeping from Adam and Eve in the story is the knowledge that leads to little Adams and Eves. That's why their reaction to the knowledge is to cover their nakedness, and it's why God punishes Eve by giving her pain in childbirth.

It also has always seemed to me that the serpent is clearly the hero of the story, offering human beings knowledge and life that God would deny them for his own petty reasons.

Also?  The serpent is not Satan.  Just saying.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 01:43:49 AM »
If you interpolate and extrapolate enough of the story you can say Satan gave us bacon ... just because.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »
I don't know if I agree. I think that an infant probably feels the sensation of agape love but does not have a concept of good and evil.

I disagree.

Agape love is described as unconditional love and love has conditions and requirements.

Love, without reciprocity and works and deeds, is not true love.

The concepts that babies are born with are for survival and their preference is to love but the moment they choose to love someone, they automatically form a hate bias against anything that would threaten what they love. This has been shown clearly with baby experiments.

Love, IOW, creates hate.

Regards
DL

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
That's a good question.  Mu gut response is that it is better to know things than to not know them, but giving that more thought I'm not so sure.  I think the question is too complex to answer without a deep dive.  For example, would humankind have developed into a civilization without such knowledge, or would be still be back in the stone age?  Would it be better to be back in the stone age?

Bah, I still think it is better to know than not to know.  Think of it like this.  There's a level of happiness where you are ignorant of things, and there's a level of happiness where you know more but have overcome that knowledge to be happy again.  I would rather strive for that upper level of happiness, even though it is difficult, because it is more real than the lower level of happiness.

You would do as Adam did then and so would I.

Regards
DL

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
Hell yeah! HAIL SATAN

**metal guitar riff**

hail Satan as good. I agree.

Regards
DL

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »
Satan gave man love? How do you grok that?

The Bible says he bid Eve to eat from the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil," not the "Tree of Love."

How would A & E know that love was desirable without any knowledge of good and evil?

They would have both love and hate on the same moral level without the moral sense that is gained from knowing good from evil. Right?

Regards
DL

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
If all this was real how could you not do what Adam (or Eve) did? the game was rigged.

If it was rigged, it was for our benefit as it gave us the knowledge of what love and hate are.

God put Satan in Eden for a reason and it must be a good reason if god did that. In the myth of course.

Regards
DL

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »
Should we worship our parents, or simply be nice to them if they've been and are being nice to us?

I am a Gnostic Christian and we do not believe in worshiping as that turns into idol worship and makes minds stagnate and stop evolving and learning.

Regards
DL

personate-rain