Author Topic: Counterpart, season 1, The City and the City  (Read 593 times)

Online CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
Counterpart, season 1, The City and the City
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »
I came across this 10 part series (on Starz) entirely by accident.  I had never heard of it, and my impression is that it flew beneath the radar of most people, though I guess it was moderately popular since a second season is set to begin in a few months.
It's a science fiction + spy story hybrid set in Berlin involving a portal to a parallel universe (that's not really a spoiler).  The portal is meant to echo Checkpoint Charlie, which was also a portal between parallel worlds.
It has a good cast, J K Simmons, Olivia Williams, Stephen Rea and has a nice twisty plot.

By a coincidence, after watching "Counterpart" I watched a 4 part BBC series called "The City and the City", which is a science fiction + film noir + spy story hybrid which had many similarities with Counterpart and which was also pretty good.  I was familiar with the story because it is based on a novel of the same name and was wondering how they would handle one of the key elements of the story. I don't want to give any spoilers but I thought they did it pretty well.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
Re: Counterpart, season 1, The City and the City
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 05:33:15 PM »
I'm almost done with season 1 and love it so far! I've been impressed with what I have seen on Starz so far.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
I have a difficult time thinking there's anyone who wouldn't enjoy this show immensely. I say watch it!
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
This was a great show.  Been a few months since I watched and I'm still looking forward to S2.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

personate-rain