Author Topic: Episode #694  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #694
« on: October 27, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
Live from QED 2018; Special Guest: Michael Marshall; Name That Pseudoscience; News Items: GMO-Free Himalayan Salt, Drugs in your Supplements, Fast Radio Burst Update, How Many Faces Do You Know, The Surface of Europa, Black Holes and Dark Matter, Latest IPCC Report; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #694
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
"99 Will Die"

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:17:27 PM by stands2reason »

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:02:25 PM »
How can we make Name That Pseudoscience work on a forum?

First thought is to have one person as the Pseudoscientist with (say) a dozen unskeptical thingys noted with a non-player by DM. Players sign up for one of the items, and can ask 5 questions. Everyone playing can discuss everyone's questions and ideas freely, though.

I found the game on the show frustrating because the players were overly constrained with yes/no or other binary questions. "Is it medical or non-medical" is not a good question. "Which scientific domain is violated" is a good question.

...but maybe that's too unconstrained?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »
I thought that Name that Pseudoscience was tedious. Too much time taken up with discussion of strategy. Interesting concept, and perhaps it would make a good play-at-home game, but not suited to a podcast.

There's a long history of products claimed to be beneficial based on the long list of desirable ingredients, but when you look at quantities, they are way below the amounts that would have any effect. A cousin of mine once tried to sell me on bee pollen, on the grounds that it had every nutrient known to science. The problem is that to get your RDA of anything you'd have to eat about 100,000 kcal per day of the stuff. Magical salt is even worse because it's salt. Sea salt seems to be a big fad, and lots of products tout "sea salt" on the label, as if that were a good thing, when it's actually just a polluted version of salt, which as they pointed out, doesn't have the iodine that most people need. (You don't need iodine if you take thyroid hormone replacement.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
I agree, it wasn't very engaging. But I guess they can't do all the usual stuff when they do several shows on location.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »
I agree, it wasn't very engaging. But I guess they can't do all the usual stuff when they do several shows on location.

I think it's good that they try new things. I hope they realize that NtP was a flop.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
Perhaps I'm childish, but I really do like Jay's humor and jokes.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »
I enjoyed NtP and would like to see it continue as a segment every month or so - but with clarified rules on what kind of questions and only one item per game.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
Some please tell Cara to stop tilting at windmills every chance she gets. Discussing the beard tax under ..."Which is so shitty, if you really think about it, this really penalizes the most impoverished people because they have to keep blades and keep shaving..."

Good grief. My knee-jerk liberal eyes were rolling.

Yes Cara, it's true. Kings, tsars, kaisers, doges, roys and reys, and monarchs of all kinds made laws at their whimsy and cared not for how often it made poor people shave or how many razor cartridges they had to buy each year. Those heartless bastards don't care that each Gillette Fusion cartridge is going to cost about $3 even at Costco.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 04:45:25 PM »
Some please tell Cara to stop tilting at windmills every chance she gets. Discussing the beard tax under ..."Which is so shitty, if you really think about it, this really penalizes the most impoverished people because they have to keep blades and keep shaving..."

Good grief. My knee-jerk liberal eyes were rolling.

Yes Cara, it's true. Kings, tsars, kaisers, doges, roys and reys, and monarchs of all kinds made laws at their whimsy and cared not for how often it made poor people shave or how many razor cartridges they had to buy each year. Those heartless bastards don't care that each Gillette Fusion cartridge is going to cost about $3 even at Costco.

Really?  Are you effing serious?
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 05:42:42 PM »

Really?  Are you effing serious?

LOL...barely. But is she? I thought it was hilarious when Michael Palin did the bit in "Holy Grail" but she seemed so serious.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:47:08 PM by gebobs »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »
I think it’s important to discuss such things, and I appreciate Cara doing so.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain