Author Topic: Episode #688  (Read 4677 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Episode #688
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
Guys I'm confused, why would a lyre bird mimic other birds for mating purposes?  Does it enjoy interspecies relationships?

Perhaps the female lyrebird sexually selects males based on their ability to mimic the sounds that are found in their environment. It's unlikely that the birds themselves want to mate with cameras and chainsaws.

He didn't say they mimic any sound for mating, specifically he said other birds.  Seems like that would just cause massive confusion.

Mimic one sound, mimic other sounds. It may be that the ability to mimic other species of bird is accidental.
Self-described nerd

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online bachfiend

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »

Astronomy Picture of the Day

Retrograde motion of Mars in 2018 on Vimeo

And your point?

I know what I saw when Mars was in opposition to the Sun this year.  When I was taking my dog for a walk in the pre-dawn darkness, I’d look to the east and see the sky beginning to lighten with the coming sunrise, and then I’d look to the west at 180 degrees to where the Sun was and see a very bright red Mars which was obviously different to the surrounding stars in being a very tiny disc instead of a dot.  And even after sunrise, it was still visible (it’s actually possible sometimes to even see Venus after sunrise if you know where to look for it).

You’re very arrogant in asserting that I was confusing a planet with a star.  Planets are often very obvious.  Jupiter when it’s in opposition to the Earth is often very obvious even when it’s in the vicinity of the full Moon (which is a clue that it’s a planet instead of a star - it’s lying in much the same plane).

The retrograde motion of the outer planets is entirely predictable.  It occurs when they’re in opposition to the Earth.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2018, 04:42:14 PM »
WTF?  I just posted some cool images related to what was discussed in this thread. I didn't mention you, wasn't thinking about you, had pretty much forgotten you meaningless little story about seeing mars (or thinking you saw mars).  Get over yourself.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online bachfiend

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2018, 07:23:57 PM »
WTF?  I just posted some cool images related to what was discussed in this thread. I didn't mention you, wasn't thinking about you, had pretty much forgotten you meaningless little story about seeing mars (or thinking you saw mars).  Get over yourself.

I did see Mars.  But what’s your point posting your ‘some cool images?’  The retrograde motion of the outer planets is a well understood and illustrated phenomenon.  You didn’t need to show it again.

As an aside, I saw the film ‘Journey’s End’ yesterday.  It was set on the Western Front near St Quentin from 18-21 March, 1918 on the eve of the German Spring Offensive.  I was bemused it showed the Moon to be almost full (it was actually in the first quarter phase).  Film makers ought to get the little details right.  The Australian television series ‘Gallipoli’ showed the Moon to be a waxing crescent moon on the evening of April 25, 1915 (and had it upside down to boot - it was filmed in South Australia).  It was actually almost a full moon (setting at around 2:30 am around Gallipoli) which determined the tactics and timing of the Allied invasion of Turkey.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:20:56 PM by bachfiend »

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »

Thanks CarbShark.  Those were cool pics.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor