Author Topic: "India's own Carl Sagan: Meet Babu Gogineni"  (Read 88 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
"India's own Carl Sagan: Meet Babu Gogineni"
« on: September 16, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
India's own Carl Sagan: Meet Babu Gogineni, the science populariser from Hyderabad

Babu also famously took on the Dalai Lama for projecting an infant as a ‘child goddess’.

"I don't want to tell people what to think. I just want to provide them with the tools to think, and we will find something together," says Babu Gogineni, at the end of an almost three-hour long conversation.

The 49-year-old man, who identifies as a humanist, rationalist, and human rights activist, has become a household name among people in the Telugu states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh over the last few years, due to his ability to dispel myths and 'bust ghosts'.

As far as the future is concerned, Babu is focused on building the South Asian Humanist Association that he founded.

"I'm keen on promoting a scientific culture, which is why I'm also working with Science for Society. I'm also working to set up a Virtual University for Humanism and also a media channel." he says.

"We also plan to relaunch the Big Question, to change the perspective of telling the story of humanity itself," he adds.

I had encountered the name before, but never really read about him. Seems like a good guy, and who can't sympathize with his vision?

Offline gebobs

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Me like hockey!
Re: "India's own Carl Sagan: Meet Babu Gogineni"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
I had encountered the name before, but never really read about him. Seems like a good guy, and who can't sympathize with his vision?

No one here but I hope he's careful.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: "India's own Carl Sagan: Meet Babu Gogineni"
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »

No one here but I hope he's careful.

Yeah, after what happened to Kalburgui, Kansare, Dabholkar, Lankesh, Rajdeo, Reddy, Singh... Holy shit I had no idea there were so many.
Self-described nerd

personate-rain
personate-rain