Author Topic: Flu Shot 2018  (Read 4848 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Flu Shot 2018
« on: September 18, 2018, 06:56:50 PM »
Just got mine today at my local Walgreens (née Rite-Aid).  Quadrivalent, since my insurance will pay for it.

Also got my first pneumococcal vaccine, since I’m now in a “high-risk” group. Pneumovax23 polyvalent. I was told to get a second vaccine in 5 years, then wait until 65 for further revaccinations.

Both covered under insurance and took about 10 minutes including filling out the form.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Flu Shot 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »
Good for you. Being on the other side of the planet I get my flu shots around April, but now that I'm catching crowded buses to and from work, and I have parents I see regularly who are in their late 70s, and I occasionally also see my friends' young children, I am in a high risk group despite not having a high risk to myself. An infection which knocks me off work for a week could be life-threatening to my parents.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 11:31:13 PM »
I'm a bit immuno-suppressed, so I'll be asking about what my best options are with my Dr this week.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:18:02 PM »
We have a flu shot clinic at work every year.  I will certainly get my shot then. 
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »
I lost the lottery last year, got my shot and still got the flu with an extra helping of double pneumonia.

This year I will get my shot again, 'cause I ain't stupid.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
I got mine a couple weeks ago also at Walgreens.  They only had the quadrivalent version.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
Last year’s vaccine was particularly ineffective.  Hopefully they be guessed better this time.

I was impressed to read that the pneumococcal vaccine targets 23 different varieties of streptococcus pneumoniae: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6B, 7F, 8, 9N, 9V, 10A, 11A, 12F, 14, 15B, 17F, 18C, 19F, 19A, 20, 22F, 23F, and 33F.  It’s icosikaitrivalent. 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »
I was going to wait until Oct.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
To see Doc Oct?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »
To see Doc Oct?

I like to get it in Oct so I can see if the company I work for has a deal if not then I just go to my doc or a drug store that gives them out.

Plus does the flu shot lose its effectiveness after about 5 months? This way it will last into the early spring. Not sure if I am correct on this though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:28:33 AM by xenu »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »
I've read conflicting information on the flu shot wearing off, and it doesn't make sense to me that it would.  But it also takes time to take effect and I have at least once been caught by an early strain that hit me before I got my shot.  I now get it mid-late September.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
5 months seems very early for a vaccine to wear off, i would really doubt it. Also the more people who get vaccinated early the better controlled the flu outbreak will be.

and apparently scientists found issues with the flu vaccines other than bad guessing.  There was more mutation happening during the production than they realized.  I think they have ways to fix this issue but I don't know if the new techniques were ready by the time the 2018 vaccine production was needed.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Both trivalent (three-component) and quadrivalent (four-component) flu vaccines will be available.

Trivalent flu vaccines include:

Standard-dose trivalent shots (IIV3) that are manufactured using virus grown in eggs. Different flu shots are approved for different age groups. Most flu shots are given in the arm (muscle) with a needle. One trivalent vaccine formulation can be given with a jet injector, for persons aged 18 through 64 years.

A high-dose trivalent shot, approved for people 65 and older.
A trivalent flu shot made with adjuvant (an ingredient of a vaccine that helps create a stronger immune response in the patient’s body), approved for people 65 years of age and older (new this season).
Quadrivalent flu vaccines include:

Quadrivalent flu shots approved for use in different age groups, including children as young as 6 months.

A quadrivalent flu shot containing virus grown in cell culture, which is approved for people 4 years of age and older.

A recombinant quadrivalent flu shot approved for people 18 years of age and older, including pregnant women (new this season).

A quadrivalent live attenuated influenza nasal spray vaccine (LAIV4) made with attenuated (weakened) live flu viruses.

I think we had the discussion of the recombinant vaccine - it's made without using the flu virus, without using egg cultures, it has a shorter shelf life and can be produced on a faster schedule when necessary.

My Walgreens had the quad regular dose and the high-dose trivalent, and the quad version was the default for anyone under 65.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:37:19 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
I've read conflicting information on the flu shot wearing off, and it doesn't make sense to me that it would.  But it also takes time to take effect and I have at least once been caught by an early strain that hit me before I got my shot.  I now get it mid-late September.

It doesn‘t make sense to you that the effect would wear off?  Based on what does it not make sense to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
Based on my understanding of immune responses to viruses and viral vaccines, which generally lasts for years, decades or even for life; and based upon my understanding that prior infection with a particular strain of flu often confers immune advantage decades later (as was the case for those who had prior exposure to N1H1.  Outside of the mixed information I’ve seen about the flu vaccine, the shortest duration of a vaccine of which I am aware is that for pertussis at 4-6 years.

personate-rain
personate-rain