Author Topic: Flu Shot 2018  (Read 5731 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
Re: Flu Shot 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »
I generally have the ‘flu shot several weeks before going overseas, generally in May and to the other side of the world to Australia.  It mightn’t be the ‘flu shot to be introduced for the northern hemisphere winter, but it’s at least one infection I don’t have to worry so much about, considering the costs of getting there.

Obviously, it doesn’t prevent other infections or strains of influenza not included in the ‘flu shot.  Prophylactic measures such as obsessive hand washing is extremely important.  In 2015 I had the misfortune of going on a 7 week cruise from Fremantle to Rome stopping off at Gallipoli for the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli invasion, and around half the passengers (thankfully not including me, I was paranoid about hand washing, not being able to pass a hand sanitizer without washing my hands for the x-th time that day) came down with a nasty viral URTI with a chronic persistent dry cough, including one gentleman who sat immediately behind me at a lecture on some aspect of World War 1, continuously coughing the entire time.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
I was going to wait until Oct.
To see Doc Oct?

I like to get it in Oct so I can see if the company I work for has a deal if not then I just go to my doc or a drug store that gives them out.

Plus does the flu shot lose its effectiveness after about 5 months? This way it will last into the early spring. Not sure if I am correct on this though.

The Sawbones podcast debunked this. You're better off getting the shot as early as you can. It might lose some of its effectiveness with time, but the flu season could come early. So the odds balance out.

I got my shot late this year because I was in Tahiti. (Actually Moorea, but who's ever heard of Moorea?) I got it as soon as I got back home. After several years of my clinic not having the vaccine, and having to get it at the drugstore, I got my shot at the clinic. They gave me the high-dose quadrivalent because of my age.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »
I got mine 2 weeks ago.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 04:43:26 AM »
I didn't used to get a flu shot, but several years ago came down with a nasty bout of it so now it's flu shots for me every year!

You know what they say: "Flu me once..."
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
I didn't used to get a flu shot, but several years ago came down with a nasty bout of it so now it's flu shots for me every year!

You know what they say: "Flu me once..."

I used to think "I want the flu! It's a legit excuse to take a couple sick days off of work, lie in bed, and catch up on some tv shows." But when SGU explained the herd immunity aspect. It's not that I will survive the flu, it's the possibility I might leave something on a table at Starbucks and kill an old person or pregnant woman, that I realized it's an act of altruism and public health.

That said, my doctor said it didn't look like a bad flu season this year so he suggested waiting until Nov to get it, ensuring the vulnerable get first crack at his supply.

In Ontario, pharmacists can now give the jab. The first year it was pretty painful. They weren't great with their technique. But I've found over the last 3 or so years they're better at giving a needle.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
I used to think "I want the flu! It's a legit excuse to take a couple sick days off of work, lie in bed, and catch up on some tv shows."

Sawbones answered this argument with the following:

You can take some sick days by claiming you're sick when you're not. This way you can enjoy your time off rather than being miserable. And the flu can kill you. I forget the numbers they gave, but a lot of people die from the flu. Some years it's mostly the old and the young. Some years it's the people in the middle.

I use the herd immunity argument when trying to convince a friend or relative to get their shot. But I get mine because I really hate being sick.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
I went to a pharmacist on Tuesday night and didn't feel the needle at all. I go every year cuz I don't want to lay in bed for a few days sick. I need to get out and do stuff, be with people and avoid the idiot box.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
It's hard to convince people who've never had the flu, how bad it is.  A week of MISERABLE, followed by another week of pretty bad (and I was young and healthy!).  I think I only missed one vaccine in the last 25 years... when the supply was low.

I had one friend who used the "stay home sick/vacation" excuse to not get vaccinated - he got the flu, said it was worse than the malaria he had in the Peace Corps. 

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:27:27 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
I never had the flu. At least not where I was miserable and bed-ridden for a week. Only ever get a cold for a day or 2.
My conviction to the shot is that I never want to get the flu to find out what it is like nor do I want the time off that bad.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »
A friend of mine from college never got the shot either. He got the flu one year and then got it ever since. This is the issue with all immunization vaccines.  The fear has been forgotten.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
I actually don't know if I've ever had the flu. I've gotten sick. Sometimes very, miserably, sick. But from the time I left home until I was in my 30's I never went to the doctor. If I was sick I stayed home until I got better. So I cannot give names to any of the illnesses I had. But being sick is so horrid that I'll get every vaccine they offer me.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 02:30:28 PM »
I actually don't know if I've ever had the flu.

The most telling indicator is how fast it hits.  You go from feeling pretty normal to high fever and misery in the course of an hour or so.

I know exactly when I was infected - air plane trip sitting next to a sick woman on a Friday afternoon.  Next morning I went for my normal vigorous bike ride, came home feeling OK, then got hit by the proverbial bus... so about 16-20 hours.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
I actually don't know if I've ever had the flu.

The most telling indicator is how fast it hits.  You go from feeling pretty normal to high fever and misery in the course of an hour or so.

I know exactly when I was infected - air plane trip sitting next to a sick woman on a Friday afternoon.  Next morning I went for my normal vigorous bike ride, came home feeling OK, then got hit by the proverbial bus... so about 16-20 hours.

Informative.

I still don't know because I cannot remember how quickly any of my illnesses have come on. Except for head colds, which always come on slowly. I have no specific memory of a fast-hitting illness. But that doesn't mean I haven't had one.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »
I used to think "I want the flu! It's a legit excuse to take a couple sick days off of work, lie in bed, and catch up on some tv shows." But when SGU explained the herd immunity aspect. It's not that I will survive the flu, it's the possibility I might leave something on a table at Starbucks and kill an old person or pregnant woman, that I realized it's an act of altruism and public health.

You didn't want the flu. You wanted the common cold. Influenza will not give you a couple of sick days - it'll knock you on your back for two weeks, and it won't be fun.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 09:47:59 AM »
Almost two weeks after I got my flu shot, and the black-and-blue mark at the injection site is only just now beginning to fade. It didn't hurt too much, though, and the discomfort didn't last long.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain