Author Topic: Flu Shot 2018  (Read 1314 times)

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: Flu Shot 2018
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »
When I got my flu vaccination, and asked my Dr. about vaccinations for Shingles and Pneumonia. He said he doesn't recommend them until people are in their 70s.

What's up with that? When I was younger I had a few bouts with pneumonia, and I know people my age and younger who have contracted shingles.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 04:09:21 PM »
When I got my flu vaccination, and asked my Dr. about vaccinations for Shingles and Pneumonia. He said he doesn't recommend them until people are in their 70s.

What's up with that? When I was younger I had a few bouts with pneumonia, and I know people my age and younger who have contracted shingles.

Is your doctor an old-school guy?  CDC has been recommending Shingles vaccine for 50+ for at least 10 years when I got mine.  The new version which is so much better they're recommending to get another one but no one has stock.

I don't know about pneumonia, but DW gets the shot for weakened immune.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »
I'm 60 and I'm wondering if I should get one.(Shingles)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »
Yes, I think you should.  The shingles suck.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2018, 02:43:29 PM »
I'm 60 and I'm wondering if I should get one.(Shingles)

I'm 70 and I get every vaccine they'll give me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2018, 04:50:05 PM »

My Grandmother had it and it sucked.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »

It sucks, big time.  I had it on the upper right quadrant of my head.  Just thinking about it makes my face hurt.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »
I've never had it, but my father, grandfather, and uncle all did, generally on their backs. I remember my father, who was one of the toughest people I even knew, whimpering in pain from it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »

It sucks, big time.  I had it on the upper right quadrant of my head.  Just thinking about it makes my face hurt.

I thought it was only in your legs
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »

No, the shingles can occur anywhere on the body, most frequently on the back.  It follows nerves because varicella lies dormant in nerve cells, and it can be especially dangerous if it occurs on the face because it can spread to the ocular nerve and cause blindness.

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »

No, the shingles can occur anywhere on the body, most frequently on the back.  It follows nerves because varicella lies dormant in nerve cells, and it can be especially dangerous if it occurs on the face because it can spread to the ocular nerve and cause blindness.

Yep, I had to go to an ophthalmologist and get checked out.  I started taking anti-virals & prednisone right away, so I ended up with a relatively minor case.  My father-in-law had it, so when it happened to me, I knew right away what it was.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

personate-rain