Author Topic: Episode #689  (Read 1639 times)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #689
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
I’ve been trying to catch up on older shows (2009) lately, so this was my first new episode in a couple of months. Going from the old crew interviewing Phil Plait to Cara’s pirate voice in a matter of seconds was just too much for me, I had to pause it for a day. Thankfully that bit only lasted a few minutes.

Since I haven’t heard new eps in a while, is Steve doing ok (besides the wasp)? He sounds a bit subdued in the latest show.

He's fine, he just had a pee scare.

Offline mfuller

• Brand New
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »
I'm surprised to not see any discussion about Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): I've been listening to skeptical podcasts for years and they've never really challenged me because I'm already skeptically-minded.  This changed the last two episodes because my MBTI is part of my identity.  Much of my experience over the last 20 years, including some career counseling at a critical point in my life, has confirmed that there is truth in MBTI.  I realize that my personal experiences don't count for much, and as a skeptic I have to trust overwhelming data, but still this hurts.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »
I'm surprised to not see any discussion about Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): I've been listening to skeptical podcasts for years and they've never really challenged me because I'm already skeptically-minded.  This changed the last two episodes because my MBTI is part of my identity.  Much of my experience over the last 20 years, including some career counseling at a critical point in my life, has confirmed that there is truth in MBTI.  I realize that my personal experiences don't count for much, and as a skeptic I have to trust overwhelming data, but still this hurts.

Welcome aboard, mfuller.

I haven't brought it up because I have known that MBTI is a mess for a while. OTOH I am aware of how shaken I was when confronted with the reality of memory compared to the expeience of it. It changed my life - but it was not fun, especially at the start.

It's quite possible that you have developed adaptive behaviours that were inspired by MBTI, and which remain useful regardless of the source. Now you're in a position to find the maladaptive assumptions and behaviours too.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
There have been numerous threads over the years on the topic including a recent one. Here's are a few but I'm sure there are others if you look with the search function:
https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,6613
https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,4380
https://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,50207

Offline DaKine Oregon

• Brand New
Re: Episode #689 Science or Fiction: 1200 Tesla Magnet
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »
Apparently that didn't go quite as easily as the scientists hoped.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/nanotechnology/magnetic-field-record-set-with-a-bang-1200-tesla

DaKine Oregon

personate-rain