Author Topic: Episode #689  (Read 777 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #689
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »
What's the Word: Basionym
News Items: Space X Flying to the Moon, Proxima b Weather, Wasps Are Important Too, Star vs Planet, Personality Types
Who's That Noisy
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline PSXer

• Brand New
Re: Episode #689
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:24:01 PM »
Fun(?) fact about 40 Eridani- one of the stars is a white dwarf. It's the easiest white dwarf to see in amateur instruments. It's not the brightest one (as seen from Earth), but Sirius B is too close to the much brighter Sirius A to see easily.

Online bachfiend

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 01:39:26 AM »
Did Steve actually say that stars like the Sun have a lifespan of 6 to 7 billion years?  Our Sun is already 4.54 billion years old, which means we may only have as little as 1.5 billion years left.  I’m very worried...

Anyway.  The ‘pirates’ introduction annoyed me considerably.  I almost stopped listening (but I’m glad, as usual, I didn’t).

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:06:54 AM »
So; Talk like a pirate day, talk like a Highlander day, talk like a Leprechaun day, and talk like the Queen day.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:55:02 AM »
Did Steve actually say that stars like the Sun have a lifespan of 6 to 7 billion years?  Our Sun is already 4.54 billion years old, which means we may only have as little as 1.5 billion years left.  I’m very worried...

Anyway.  The ‘pirates’ introduction annoyed me considerably.  I almost stopped listening (but I’m glad, as usual, I didn’t).
Given how bloodthirsty and unthinkably cruel real pirates can be, why would anyone pretend to be a pirate?

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:46:28 AM »

Given how bloodthirsty and unthinkably cruel real pirates can be, why would anyone pretend to be a pirate?

Oh just wait until "Talk Like a Somali Pirate Day" rolls around...

Anyway, I didn't know real pirates talked like that. I learn something new everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 05:11:32 PM »
The 2 most annoying days of the year for SGU to be recorded around are:
"International Talk like a Hollywood Stereotype Pirate Day" and Halloween  ::)

Hopefully their jokes about doing a whole show in (terrible) British accents never happens  ;)

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »

That was brutal indeed. The jokes were awful. And not just the retreads that Jay dropped. My eyes were rolling nonstop.

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »
The 2 most annoying days of the year for SGU to be recorded around are:
"International Talk like a Hollywood Stereotype Pirate Day" and Halloween  ::)

Yes...and any live show.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
Live shows mainly because of the audio quality. I didn't notice any problems with that for this one.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 12:14:39 PM »
I thought the pirate opening was a goofy bit of fun. I'm curious - is it this instance of humour on the show that you object to, or any instance of humour on the show? From the start they have taken a friendly-panelist approach, not a serious newsdesk approach. I don't expect that is going to change.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 01:14:33 PM »

Oh just wait until "Talk Like a Somali Pirate Day" rolls around...

Anyway, I didn't know real pirates talked like that. I learn something new everyday.

The accent (West country accent of the UK) is mostly attributed to the actor Robert Newton (who starred in several pirate movies in the 50s).
Apparently Blackbeard (Edward Teach) was from the same area--but who would know what their accent sounded like 250-300 years ago.

Offline gebobs

• Me like hockey!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »
I thought the pirate opening was a goofy bit of fun. I'm curious - is it this instance of humour on the show that you object to, or any instance of humour on the show? From the start they have taken a friendly-panelist approach, not a serious newsdesk approach. I don't expect that is going to change.

I was fine with it all until they kept on coming with the jokes which were all basically corny puns. I don't expect them to change either.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »

I love the humorous banter between the rogues. It's usually adlib. This was too forced and we've heard it all before. If Jay could at least learn a few new pirate jokes for next year  ;)

At least it only happens occasionally.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
I’ve been trying to catch up on older shows (2009) lately, so this was my first new episode in a couple of months. Going from the old crew interviewing Phil Plait to Cara’s pirate voice in a matter of seconds was just too much for me, I had to pause it for a day. Thankfully that bit only lasted a few minutes.

Since I haven’t heard new eps in a while, is Steve doing ok (besides the wasp)? He sounds a bit subdued in the latest show.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

personate-rain