Poll

Do you eat raisins, on purpose?

Yes, I love those wrinkly little nugs of fruity joy!
meh, I'll eat them if there mixed into something else but won't go out of my way for them
ewwwww, #@!* them for not being chocolate chips! raisins are gross!!!!

Author Topic: Do you eat raisins, on purpose?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Do you eat raisins, on purpose?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 06:20:22 AM »
lol it seems I have under estimated the raisiny love. I don't really hate them, hate them, like I hate Lindsey Gram. It does still confuse me why someone would pick to make oatmeal raisin cookie over any other cookie? I'll eat it if its all that's left and I'm hungry but in my cookie hierarchy it's at the bottom and may be a little mad at whoever picked or made them for not making something better. I'm just not a fan of dried fruits. Fresh fruit, yes, love it. I'll eat grapes all day, any dried fruit, must be really hungry.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »
It does still confuse me why someone would pick to make oatmeal raisin cookie over any other cookie? I'll eat it if its all that's left and I'm hungry but in my cookie hierarchy it's at the bottom and may be a little mad at whoever picked or made them for not making something better.

I'm not really sure why anyone makes anything but chocolate chip cookies; but oatmeal raisin cookies can really be very good.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
I don't hunt raisins out as a snack, but I will eat them on their own.  They can be a sweet little morsel.
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »
I voted meh but really, somewhere between meh and gross.  I don't pick them out of food but I don't go out of my way for them  either.  The worst though is oatmeal raisin cookies.  Oatmeal cookies are the best, add raisins and there unpleasant at best.  Switch chocolate chip for raisins and even better than the best.

As a friend used to say, "Raisins, nature's candy my ass!"

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
It does still confuse me why someone would pick to make oatmeal raisin cookie over any other cookie? I'll eat it if its all that's left and I'm hungry but in my cookie hierarchy it's at the bottom and may be a little mad at whoever picked or made them for not making something better.

I'm not really sure why anyone makes anything but chocolate chip cookies; but oatmeal raisin cookies can really be very good.
Oatmeal chocolate chip FTW

I love raisins, but really don't care for them in other food.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
What is nature's candy?

I think the only fruits I've eaten that haven't been through some sort of cultivation are cloudberries and blueberries, and I'm not a fan of those.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »

Oatmeal chocolate chip FTW

I love raisins, but really don't care for them in other food.

Oatmeal chocolate chip is my favorite.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
I buy a bag of raisins every few months and throw them into my muesli for a bit of flavour.
They do go very well in a bread and butter pudding but I havent had one of those in years (must see about making one this weekend).

They are usually welcome as a way to break up the monotony of some cereal based dish.
The fantasy/history/survivalist nerd in me loves the very concept of dried fruit.

But only a serial killer would eat them on their own.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
I buy a bag of raisins every few months and throw them into my muesli for a bit of flavour.
They do go very well in a bread and butter pudding but I havent had one of those in years (must see about making one this weekend).

They are usually welcome as a way to break up the monotony of some cereal based dish.
The fantasy/history/survivalist nerd in me loves the very concept of dried fruit.

But only a serial killer would eat them on their own.
Hey, meet me in an alley tonight. I have some, ummm, not raisins to share with you...
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 09:16:38 PM »
Heck yea. Oatmeal raisin cookies are my favorite. I'll throw them in most non-sweet cereals. Menudo with raisins is delicious.

Offline drproximo

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • fnord
    • blaugh
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »
I almost never buy raisins to snack on, but I like them in other things. Both Tim Hortons and Subway have decent oatmeal raisin cookies, they're essential in a good trail mix, and raisin toast with butter is a nice treat now and then. Cinnamon raisin is one of the most popular bagel varieties at Tim's.
"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
My son ate a lot of raisins in his oat

meal this weekend.  A lot of them went totally undigested.  I couldn't figure out what he'd been eating until my wife noticed. 

(click to show/hide)

I had to look up menudo, I thought I knew what it was until I read:
Heck yea. Oatmeal raisin cookies are my favorite. I'll throw them in most non-sweet cereals. Menudo with raisins is delicious.
So, I actually knew what menudo was, menudo with raisins sounds awful. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:49:12 PM by Ah.hell »

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 03:56:51 PM »
I cannot imagine anyone not liking raisins. Like all dried fruit, they're almost pure sugar. Which is why I never buy them or have them in the house, but if they're in front of me I'll eat them and I love them. Given a choice, though, I'd have dried figs or dried apricots instead. I like most dried fruits. Sugar, yum!

Raisins in oatmeal are really good, also, but you have to put them in the boiling water first, and let it boil for a bit to soften them before adding and cooking the oats. Oatmeal raisin cookies are good also, but chocolate cookies with chocolate chips are better. But it's not fair to compare raisins to chocolate. Nothing compares to chocolate.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
I'm eating pre-raisins.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
I'm eating pre-raisins.

We call those grapes. In Spain they have HUGE grapes. And there's a tradition that on New Year's eve when the bells toll at midnight, you're supposed to eat one grape for each toll of the bell. Well, I did it, but it was hard because the grapes are so big that eating 12 of them in the time it takes for the bell to toll 12 times is a lot of grapes in a short amount of time. Raisins would be easier.

I do like grapes, though. Lots of sugar. Yum.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain