Poll

Do you eat raisins, on purpose?

Yes, I love those wrinkly little nugs of fruity joy!
meh, I'll eat them if there mixed into something else but won't go out of my way for them
ewwwww, #@!* them for not being chocolate chips! raisins are gross!!!!

Author Topic: Do you eat raisins, on purpose?  (Read 3748 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Do you eat raisins, on purpose?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2018, 11:20:32 PM »
Toasted cinnamon raisin bagels with sharp cream cheese? Wonderful.

Toasted raisin bread with a generous helping of salty butter? I'm salivating right now.

OTOH when I was having radiation treatment and my sense of taste was limited to a bit of umami, texture, and nothing else? Raisins have 10000000% nothing to recommend them when the sweet is taken away.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »
Don't you get bored?
Food is just fuel if I'm not dining with someone.

I refer sometimes to CHON (Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen). But I still get bored of it after eating it every day.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2018, 05:09:06 PM »
I eat a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal almost every single morning for going on over three years now.

For some odd reason this reminded me that when I was in disciplinary segregation at FCI Sandstone, we got a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal most mornings. I wrote a poem (long forgotten) about the horrible punishment that should be imposed on the inventor of Raisin Bran, which concluded with the observation that on this day the guard must have picked the raisins out of my cereal because there were none in it. Since I am lactose intolerant, I had to eat the cereal dry, and eventually became quite sick of it. I like the raisins, but don't much care for bran flakes.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Vic333

• Brand New
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »
Usually just in things (cookies, snack mixes). But, I don't have a beef with raisins. 

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 06:11:08 AM »
Don't you get bored?
Food is just fuel if I'm not dining with someone.

I refer sometimes to CHON (Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen). But I still get bored of it after eating it every day.
I find something at least somewhat nutritious to eat when I'm alone. If I don't plan ahead I'll eat, say, a can of peas (probably heated). Get that out of the way and go back to whatever I was doing.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »
I enjoy eating. This may be the only aspect of my character in which I’m in the majority. I think most people enjoy eating. Fortunately for me, I enjoy greens and veggies and whole grains and beans. Unfortunately for me I also enjoy chocolate and other sweets and have a very hard time moderating my consumption of them. I love raisins and other dried fruits, but never buy them because I could easily eat half a pound in a sitting. They are, after all, essentially flavored sugar.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »
I enjoy eating. This may be the only aspect of my character in which I’m in the majority. I think most people enjoy eating. Fortunately for me, I enjoy greens and veggies and whole grains and beans. Unfortunately for me I also enjoy chocolate and other sweets and have a very hard time moderating my consumption of them. I love raisins and other dried fruits, but never buy them because I could easily eat half a pound in a sitting. They are, after all, essentially flavored sugar.
You a sweet potato man?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »
You a sweet potato man?

I never used to care for them, then a friend included them in a mess of roasted vegetables, and so I started roasting them. Turns out they cook deliciously in my fish cooker. Now I love them.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Jerry the J

• Off to a Start
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2019, 04:48:47 PM »
I have raisin bran cereal nearly every morning for breakfast, if that counts as "eat"ing raisins
~~~ The coins in the jar are for charity~~~
~~~ The Coins in the tray are for sharing ~~~

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:06 AM »
Raisins are a waste of perfectly delicious grapes left to shrivel and die. That, I call, blasphemy.
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 07:52:01 PM »
I have raisin bran cereal nearly every morning for breakfast, if that counts as "eat"ing raisins

We got raisin bran nearly every morning in the disciplinary segregation unit at FCI Sandstone. I actually wrote a poem excoriating the inventor of bran flakes after the day that we got the bran flakes without any raisins. I will add that I am lactose intolerant so I ate the stuff dry. Dry bran flakes are not good.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »

We got raisin bran nearly every morning in the disciplinary segregation unit at FCI Sandstone. I actually wrote a poem excoriating the inventor of bran flakes after the day that we got the bran flakes without any raisins. I will add that I am lactose intolerant so I ate the stuff dry. Dry bran flakes are not good.

Were they not required to provide you with meals that you were capable of digesting? Man, that's fucked up.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »

Were they not required to provide you with meals that you were capable of digesting? Man, that's fucked up.

Nope. Nor were they required to provide healthy meals. They are required (in the U.S. federal system... I know nothing of any of the state systems, each of which has its own character) to provide kosher meals to anyone who requests it, and they are required to ask if you eat pork and respect that choice, and I think they have to provide halal meals to anyone who requests that. All of these requirements were hard-won through lawsuits, probably that went all the way to the Supreme Court.

When I was in general population I ate pretty well because I could request, and was given, large helpings of vegetables. But when I was in disciplinary segregation, where I spent much of my prison time, they would not give me vegetarian meals. The guards would give the meat from my tray to another inmate, and I ate what remained. They would not give me a proper vegetarian diet. A friend of mine who was in prison also for peaceful anti-nuclear protesting, fasted for several weeks and endured threats to force-feed her before they finally gave her a vegetarian diet. But I foolishly believed the warden when he told me that he could not give me a vegetarian diet. The dry bran flakes were actually about the healthiest thing I got when I was in seg.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »
Usually just in things (cookies, snack mixes). But, I don't have a beef with raisins. 

I've had chicken with apricots, but I've never had beef with raisins either.  :rimshot:

Also, welcome to the forum!
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Vic333

• Brand New
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2019, 09:13:36 PM »

I've had chicken with apricots, but I've never had beef with raisins either.  :rimshot:

Also, welcome to the forum!
Beef with raisins is not uncommon. Quite tastey. And A1 sauce is, of course, largely sweetened tomato and raisin paste.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk