Author Topic: Skeptics guide book  (Read 546 times)

Offline Dileas

• Off to a Start
Skeptics guide book
« on: September 27, 2018, 12:02:06 AM »
The SGU book arrived in my mailbox a few days ago and I'm REALLY looking forward to reading it.  However, I've noticed that the physical quality seems rather poor.  The lettering on the front and back cover looks as if it was printed with a printer that was low on ink, and all of the pages in the book are rippled in multiple spots, as if there was some kind of binding problem.  I'm curious if anyone else has received copies with these issues, or if this is just a one-off.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Skeptics guide book
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
I didn't have any of the problems you describe, but was slightly underwhelmed by the physical product. It does seem like the binding is not going to last very long.
I'm not particularly fond of the typesetting of the body text.

I'm only a couple dozen pages into it and not 100% sure what I am making of it. For me, it is mostly familiar ground as I have listened to each podcast at least once.
I bought a couple extra copies to give as gifts and had one person in mind to give a copy, but he (a late-life convert to conservatism and religion) probably won't find much to enjoy in it.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »
I didn't have any of the problems you describe, but was slightly underwhelmed by the physical product. It does seem like the binding is not going to last very long.
I'm not particularly fond of the typesetting of the body text.

I'm only a couple dozen pages into it and not 100% sure what I am making of it. For me, it is mostly familiar ground as I have listened to each podcast at least once.
I bought a couple extra copies to give as gifts and had one person in mind to give a copy, but he (a late-life convert to conservatism and religion) probably won't find much to enjoy in it.

I haven't got my copy yet, but I read the parts you can preview on Amazon. And as a long-time reader of Steve's blog, I recognized much. Much of those parts, except the biographical stuff, are based on the blog, as Steve also stated somewhere. But this is understandable. This might be familiar territory for us, but it is not so for everyone.

Still, it is excellent to have a handy skeptical reference. And based on my experience with the book, I might recommend it to others (I won't recommend a book I have not yet read).

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
When I got my copy, I thought it was smudged, but it turns out the cover art includes the 'been around' look.  I can see that when I compare my copy to the web page graphics, the 'smudges' match.   Yeah, the binding is weak, but I expect the context to be strong.

<rant>
Believing in supporting my local brick and mortar bookseller, at the end of April I pre-ordered in person at my local Barnes & Nobel.  Then a few weeks later, the signed edition popped up, so I went back and asked that the order be changed.  The book arrived today and damn it, it is the regular edition.  The guy who 'changed' the order tried to change it to 'reserve a copy' for the signed book, something that will not work for a signed edition.  No flags went up; the system dealt with it by shipping a regular book. *sigh*

No signatures.  No chance at the "Golden Ticket".   No good deed goes unpunished. 
</rant>

Now, to get reading!

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »
I'm two-thirds of the way through the book. It's....okay. It's basically a transcript of the show. I'm not really learning anything new from it, but then regular listeners or long-time skeptics aren't really the target audience. Often I find myself wishing for more detail on a subject. One chapter in particular I found lacking is Jay's on 9/11 conspiracies.   

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book. But it really is a primer. It's an excellent book to give to family/friends to introduce them to skepticism.

personate-rain