Author Topic: Episode #690  (Read 1766 times)

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #690
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
I don't agree that the idea of a human having harmed a pet would be better than that the cause is a predator or an accident not involving a human.

I wouldn't insist on it being a human, I would find it difficult to give up the idea if I thought a human might be responsible. If I could choose, I would have the cause be something else. Because I would feel more in control having to deal with more predictable natural causes, instead of humans being reckless and not caring that they harm animals, or who are deliberately trying to cause animals harm.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:54:07 AM by 2397 »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
Sorry Guys, but BST is British Summer Time, which is Greenwich Mean Time, (GMT) +1.

See you all at QED, can't wait...

AP

In the US, we use S for Standard, D for Daylight [Savings]

EST - Eastern Standard Time
EDT - Eastern Daylight Time

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »
I could never see the sense of daylight saving.  You should live your life according to the Sun not the clock.  The silliest thing I think is the leap second which is added on average once every 18 months in order to make noon occur at exactly 12 midday on two days of the year in Greenwich, to avoid the ‘catastrophe’ of noon occurring a few seconds later each decade.

I agree with you about Daylight Saving Time. It's a stupid idea. However, the leap second is probably needed in this modern world where in some applications a second is an age. Yes, we could let noon drift, but if that's going to happen, why not just use sidereal time and let noon drift around the clock once a year?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Generally Rational

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
The Cambrian explosion is somewhat an artefact.  Sites such as the Burgess Shale resulted from collapse of cliffs into inlets covering, killing and preserving a whole host of critters allowing a large number of critters to be fossilised (I love the word ‘critter’).  It’s was an explosion of death, not life.

Always something to keep in mind.  We only get a tiny snapshot of life at a time and don't see most of the ecosystem.

Cara could be right with her citing of 800 mya as the time since the last common ancestors of octopuses and humans, if it’s based based on estimates coming from genetics.  If I’m right, the ancestor must have lived considerably earlier than 560 mya.

If one googles "proterozoic eukaryotes", the scientific paper that leaps to the front is "Eukaryotic organisms in Proterozoic oceans".  It seems to concur that eukaryotic lines of descent started before the Cambrian explosion.  The Rogues (perhaps not including Cara) made the old fashioned assumption that the radiation from a common ancestor occurred after the rise of oxygen, when it was probably many lines simultaneously taking advantage of it to grow large and develop hard parts for fossilization.  They wouldn't make that mistake if they would read Nick Lane's "Vital Question" as I keep suggesting.

personate-rain
personate-rain