Poll

Do we have a right deliberately to cause the extinction of Anopheles gambiae?

Yes
27 (81.8%)
No
2 (6.1%)
Maybe?
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Do we have a right deliberately to cause the extinction of Anopheles gambiae?  (Read 4573 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
What about eliminating certain venomous species that kill humans? Or species that cause economic damage?  Should we completely eliminate the boll weevil if we can? Termites?
Do you have a position or are you just looking for posts to pounce on?

I've already said that I am conflicted on the issue.  I'm interested to know where others draw the line.  I'm not sure it's as bright or as universal as you seem to think, but I don't have any motive in asking these questions beyond knowing the answers.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
If they can eliminate them I wonder if they could keep some uninfected in a lab, kill the ones off in the wild so that malaria goes away and then release the uninfected.

That's an intiguing idea. I wonder if there is a way to push a blockout gene to the malaria parasite itself instead?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
The question is basically, should we ethically do something the smart way, that is similar to what we do all the time out of ignorance or carelessness?

I think so, but I don't think it's something we should do lightly. Part of my knee jerk reaction to what is naturally ordained says we shouldn't, but also I don't really believe anything is naturally ordained. The fact we've been lucky to make it this far without a life ending asteroid is enough to make all life in its massive diversity important, but massive engineering on scales larger than this is going to be undertaken at some point in our future, or things are going to alter quickly regardless (with or without that asteroid's help).
I'm not sure we need all these etra humans around either, but that's another conversation...  ;)
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
If they can eliminate them I wonder if they could keep some uninfected in a lab, kill the ones off in the wild so that malaria goes away and then release the uninfected.
Why would they do that?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
To not eliminate the species but still eradicate the disease

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
Mosquitoes also consume nectar... Could they possibly be pollinators?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
They are pollinators. IIRC the analysis I heard on TWiS was that they are not specialized pollinators though, so loss of the hundreds of AG variants would not cause significant disruptions.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
What about eliminating certain venomous species that kill humans? Or species that cause economic damage?  Should we completely eliminate the boll weevil if we can? Termites?
I would look at it case by case. I dont think there is a real need to wipe out many species because if we just stay away from them, they stay away from us and the bodycount is low.

The body count from malaria is astronomical and you and I have the luxury of debating the ethical arguments and slippery slopes of such an action, but if it were the case that we really had the ability to wipe out this species, every moment we delay to discuss it would have a cost in dead humans.
Humans who likely did not choose to be born to such harsh climates and never had the opportunity to go through the ridiculously expensive measures we can take to protect ourselves when we tour their homes.

I dont just think its ok. I think its a moral imperative, should the means exist.

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
They are pollinators. IIRC the analysis I heard on TWiS was that they are not specialized pollinators though, so loss of the hundreds of AG variants would not cause significant disruptions.

I don't know about that. Specialized pollinators appear to be extremely vulnerable to environmental factors - case in point bee colonies collapse. As we all know, loss of bees does not bode well for anyone in the food chain. I hate to say it but mosquitoes could be engineered to become viable replacements and continue the work of bees. Should be kept around as a backup plan?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time

I don't know about that. Specialized pollinators appear to be extremely vulnerable to environmental factors - case in point bee colonies collapse. As we all know, loss of bees does not bode well for anyone in the food chain. I hate to say it but mosquitoes could be engineered to become viable replacements and continue the work of bees. Should be kept around as a backup plan?

But we're not talking about killing all mosquito species, just A. gambiae.  If I remember what I've read correctly, A. gambiae does not fill any particular ecological niche that other mosquito species do not, and it is likely that other species would quickly fill its place in the food and pollination realms.  The only real ecological niche it fills is that of malaria vector.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
I would look at it case by case. I dont think there is a real need to wipe out many species because if we just stay away from them, they stay away from us and the bodycount is low.

The body count from malaria is astronomical and you and I have the luxury of debating the ethical arguments and slippery slopes of such an action, but if it were the case that we really had the ability to wipe out this species, every moment we delay to discuss it would have a cost in dead humans.
Humans who likely did not choose to be born to such harsh climates and never had the opportunity to go through the ridiculously expensive measures we can take to protect ourselves when we tour their homes.

I dont just think its ok. I think its a moral imperative, should the means exist.
Also, with global temperatures on the rise, more and more of the planet will be more hospitable to this particular threat.  Yellow Fever is spread through similar vectors and before we had the vaccine it killed plenty of people in places not traditionally thought of as mosquito havens.  10% of the population of Philadelphia died back when it was the capital in 1793.

I think we have to be very careful with this kind of approach.  However, if it can be shown it isn't a threat to other species (even other mosquitoes), then it's something I would support and applaud.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster

First you have to kill off the species in the wild, then kill off malaria in humans, to stop mosquitoes from being able to pick it up again. Which includes waiting out all malaria that isn't causing symptoms or wasn't treated properly, and apparently that means decades. So basically, we'd have to wait until all humans who could've been infected while the mosquitoes were still around have died.

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

Edit: And wait out malaria parasites in other species, but I guess humans are the longest living one. We might have exterminated most of them in 100 years, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:17:05 AM by 2397 »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
It's also true that some other species transmit malaria; A. gambiae is just (apparently by far) the most efficient vector.  Even if one eliminated A. gambiae, one would have to engage in a pretty hefty eradication campaign.

Offline CarbShark

There are two questions.

Do we have the “right” to cause a species extinction?

Is it in our best interests, wise, reasonable, intelligent, etc. to cause cause a species extinction?

The answer to the second question is easily debated with science and data. And that’s most of what’s discussed here.

But the first question is tricky. What are rights? Where do they come from? What things do we have the right to do and not do?

How do we as individuals; as cultures and societies; as a species know what our rights are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
There are two questions.

Do we have the “right” to cause a species extinction?

Is it in our best interests, wise, reasonable, intelligent, etc. to cause cause a species extinction?

The answer to the second question is easily debated with science and data. And that’s most of what’s discussed here.

But the first question is tricky. What are rights? Where do they come from? What things do we have the right to do and not do?

How do we as individuals; as cultures and societies; as a species know what our rights are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to post something similar. We do not not have the right because as far as I am concerned there are no innate laws in the universe. A right is quite different than a should or should not.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

personate-rain