Author Topic: Today's Physical Exam  (Read 944 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Today's Physical Exam
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 08:46:40 PM »
When it comes to putting needles into you, nurses rule.

While "phlebotomist" is the technically correct term and an awesome word, "blood nurse" is way more metal.

I hope a nurse administering an immunisation shot isn’t putting it into a vein.  Most immunisation is intramuscular.  The immuniser is supposed to draw back on the plunger to ensure that the needle tip isn’t in a vein.

I don’t know whether the nurse or pharmacist administering the immunisation to me actually does that - I always look away.  And when it’s over, ask the person when they’re going to do it so that I can scream in agony.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »
I cannot look. I want to. But I cannot. When it's relatively painless I tell them so and thank them. When it hurts I usually cannot avoid saying "Ow!" Or "Owowowowow!" Donating blood hurts more because they use a bigger needle. When they draw blood for tests they use a smaller needle and if the nurse is good it hardly hurts at all. The serum in some vaccines hurts a lot. Others aren't bad. I've tried pretending that I'm a captured spy and they're torturing me for information. I'd have told them everything. I've tried pretending I've been captured by a tribe of Amazons. Nothing helps. So I just relax and look the other way.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 09:21:30 PM »
I cannot look. I want to. But I cannot. When it's relatively painless I tell them so and thank them. When it hurts I usually cannot avoid saying "Ow!" Or "Owowowowow!" Donating blood hurts more because they use a bigger needle. When they draw blood for tests they use a smaller needle and if the nurse is good it hardly hurts at all. The serum in some vaccines hurts a lot. Others aren't bad. I've tried pretending that I'm a captured spy and they're torturing me for information. I'd have told them everything. I've tried pretending I've been captured by a tribe of Amazons. Nothing helps. So I just relax and look the other way.

I used to donate plasma.  I never looked as the technician inserted the cannula.  I have very good veins, unfortunately.  The technician often took one look at them, thinks ‘this is going to be easy,’ and promptly pushes the cannula  through the vein into the underlying soft tissue (which is more painful).  And then has to try on the other side.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 10:42:21 PM »
Lucky me, unfazed by needles.  I always watch, chat and thank the nurse.

I enjoyed giving blood till I was told I wasn't allowed any more.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 10:55:47 PM »
I never enjoyed it. I did it because it seemed like the right thing to do.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 12:51:33 AM »
I always look the other way, no matter the size of the needle. I always chat up the tech, no matter what the procedure.  My objective is to be their favorite patient.

Spinal taps are a little more challenging.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
My physical resulted in an X-ray of my ankle and in turn resulted n a new diagnosis; deltoid ligament injury rather than osteoarthritis.  Started on some rather painful exercises already that show me how weak that ankle really is...
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

personate-rain